Lt. Commander
# 21
01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash-jackel View Post
Yeah but aside from the login server the rest of the game was fine. If you got in then it was all green milk and mutant bee honey.
Yeh nothing like green milk on ya wheetos in the morning to get ya going lol.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post
Actually the release date is Feb 2nd. But I guess we should give you a cookie for atleast getting one of the numbers correct.

Secondly, I take it you have never been in a Beta Test before, or even seen a game launch before.

Most open betas are pretty much like this, so your 'shock' at how it is, suggests '1st timer' all over it.

Secondly, many games launch with issues - WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, ***, etc. Heck Vangard was unplayable for many people due to program issues.

My recomendation to you, is that you should avoid betas, and releases. Don't consider a game, until it has been about 3 months after launch. You will be much happier.

Now honestly, are comments like this really necessary? [RANT ON] 1. Who cares if anyone has "done" a beta before - we all get in the habit of getting used to things being a certain way with closed/open betas, which is how we can offer constructive feedback, however - EACH beta is different as much as it is similar, and this is no exception. 2. Yeah, everyone game has issues at launch, but most of those issues won't keep regular subscribing players from walking away right off the bat... 3. Nobody should "avoid" betas or new releases - it gives them experience, as much as offering everyone else fresh ideas. Like I said - we all tend to get complacent, and sometimes it's the newer beta testers that can remind us of the things that we should be expecting but have learned not to.... [RANT OFF]

As far as the comments here go (and please try to look at the following as NOT complaining, but rather, feedback on the game so far and some genuine concerns about release)

Yes, this game is 11 days away from going to "live" servers. TECHNICALLY it "officially" releases on the 2/2, but unofficially opens on the 28th for pre-orders, and the open-beta is closed on the 26th - giving us 11 days to offer feedback.

We do need to remember that this is an OPEN beta test - and yes, keys are readily available for free (it's how i got mine 3 days ago.) As far as it being an open beta - I'm impressed to see the amount of quests and "new player" help that's available, the graphics are awesome (I WANT A BRIDGE TO COMMAND FROM!), the economy seems to be pretty interesting having different "currencies" for different things - overall, a very good start to beta in terms of game play and mechanics. HOWEVER - there's one huge killer, and it is something that will keep the average joe and hardcore trekkies alike from unsubbing nearly immediately - the servers are NOT ready for release. A good amount of complaints that people have can all be linked to server stability - and i'm not talking open beta stability and load testing - I'm talking dev or closed beta stability issues. Consider this:

- issue about ground / space figures showing up incorrect when going from space / ground: It's not that they don't show up - they do - check the quickbar load - the correct visual loads just after the quickbar changes - if you look at your up/down speeds you'll see that the information, while being pushed, is happening at the speed of snail - and that's not your computer or your ISP's problem, as other areas of the game jump to decent speeds - that's a server issue (and a basic one)
- issue about login disconnects, login time-outs and account server time outs: if you use a meter (gotta love vista/win7) you'll see that the latency to the servers is decent (never seen above 60m/s) so this is telling us that those servers aren't stable to begin with - OR - can't handle the amount of requests that we are giving them.
- issue about load times - again .. see above -

Open betas are about load testing and balancing. However, it's pretty clear that the server design (one for account, one for login - which appears to be a main server, and i'm assuming several servers for each of the different zones) isn't able to handle what we are asking for - and we're just beta testers.... Sure, there are supposed to be some decent to serious lag issues to be handled - that we could expect. But widespread and common disconnects, across multiple platforms and PC's with varying hardware and internet providers? Load times that are 5-10 minutes in MOST places? Those are server issues that are pre-open beta. And the reality is (atleast as a US customer) nearly every time the past few days the servers have been down for emergency maintenance has been smack in the middle of prime time for the US - probably a large portion of their potential sub base. Their servers, 11 days out, haven't really been load tested DURING prime time. We're having these problems in off-peak hours.

Now, I'm not going to advocate as someone else did to push it back 6-9 months .. that's upsurd (and i wanna play release!) However, it would make some amount of sense to push release back by 3-4 weeks and really push OPEN beta through the major sites - get as many "free" testers on here and really rack these servers hard.

The DEVs I think have done a great job with the game and mechanics, and those will WOW (pardon the expression) even the die-hard trekkies. However, if they don't do something about server stability the initial reviews will be horrible, people probably won't stick around once they are payin for it - and the game won't ever really kick off

Just my 2 cents ....
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
As I'm sure many of you know STO has lots of problems.

It doesn't work right with NVidia cards still.

The lag is unbearable in what is actually a closed beta (Can't call this open)

And plenty of other problems that haven't been addressed.

Cryptic has a history of this. Of never managing to have something finished on the deadline. The only time they ever managed it was back when NCsoft was breathing down their necks. Without that they've gotten sloppy.
Champions Beta, everyone in it was saying "don't release it don't release it now push back the release!" yet Cryptic didn't listen and still made huge changes the day before release. Lets not forget the horrific lag issues as well.

Now we know Jack has had minimal involvement. This can only be a good thing but the community needs assurance. You can't say "Well we're too busy working on it to say anything". No. Cryptic does not have that right. Your history is of ignoring the community and your customers and in some cases outright deriding and insulting them.

You have to say that you are aware of the community's grievances. You have to at least give a vague idea of what you're doing about them. Being silent just suggests that you're ignoring people again.
The only TECHNICAL issue I see here is between the chair and the keyboard.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Actually the release date is Feb 2nd. But I guess we should give you a cookie for atleast getting one of the numbers correct.

Secondly, I take it you have never been in a Beta Test before, or even seen a game launch before.

Most open betas are pretty much like this, so your 'shock' at how it is, suggests '1st timer' all over it.

Secondly, many games launch with issues - WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, ***, etc. Heck Vangard was unplayable for many people due to program issues.

My recomendation to you, is that you should avoid betas, and releases. Don't consider a game, until it has been about 3 months after launch. You will be much happier.

Sooooo...true! Nicely put Loekii
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Quote:

It doesn't work right with NVidia cards still.
Works just fine on my SLI rig.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:

what he said, well put my good man/woman well put!
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Well Blizzard also missed most of their release dates too does that make their games bad too?
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Quote:
The Tabula Rasa beta was pretty good. Of course TR had its own flaws but the beta itself was stable.
The Fallen Earth beta went very well too.

Although I wasn't in it I heard the CoH beta went well after initial problems.

Also yeah you can not call this an open beta. An open beta is when there's no limit on keys, you just make an account, download the client and bam you're in. Quite a few sites that you can get keys from demand a subscription to their site in exchange.

The same thing was said in the Champions beta by almost everyone who was in it. Even pillocks said similar things albeit not as well worded as other responses.

ok I was in COH beta and it was bad from week 1 of close until almost the last second of open beta, and even after release people still got booted from the map server.

as for TR and FE didn't play them don't know but i did play EQ, EQ2, DOAC, WoW, SWG, LORTO, Vanguard, ***, DDO, and a few more but i think my experience is documented close enough here.. all of them were as bad if not worse than this, I have seen 3 "issues" in this beta

1) server lag (the exact #1 thing you expect since alot of open beta is about load testing servers)
2) Driver issues... lets look at this one, yep the idea of open beta is to get a wider range of hardware combinations to work out kinks.
3) a lot of whining from Noobs.... lets look at this one closer... yep its happened in every beta for every MMO once it goes to Open.

now that being said this post isn't really intended to anger its intended to give my experiences in many betas, and add a touch of humor. so please take it that way.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Hay guys. I linked this thread to another thread in STO disscusion hoping a better chance of cryptic of seeing this and help us. Geuss what. They closed the thread so nobody could reply. So for, I thing Star Wars Galaxies has better customer support. I payed 80$ for this.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I was having horrid connection issues until someone suggested I check the Proxy setting inside the Options link on the STO Launcher and be sure it is set to None. I had previously set it to "US" on someone's suggestion that it would speed up download times of game files and had never thought to go change it back.

In any case, while I don't have Nvidia, setting that Proxy back to None DID clear up my connection and crash issues.