Ensign
# 1 Tovan Khev's for everyone
04-23-2013, 01:21 PM
For a unique experience, perhaps a bit of random generation is in order here. How much effort would it take for the Tovan Khev story arch to be centered around a similar theme, only it be a sister looking for a brother, a Mother looking for her son, a Husband looking for his wife (vice versa, or same sex), A child looking for their parent(s), random generation of names as well.
Career Officer
# 2
04-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1975 View Post
For a unique experience, perhaps a bit of random generation is in order here. How much effort would it take for the Tovan Khev story arch to be centered around a similar theme, only it be a sister looking for a brother, a Mother looking for her son, a Husband looking for his wife (vice versa, or same sex), A child looking for their parent(s), random generation of names as well.
How much effort? Quite a bit, I'd say, considering how many incidents in the dialogue are tied to these details and how contextual they are.
Rihannsu
# 3
04-23-2013, 02:43 PM
They said the same thing about The Old Republics Companion system when it first came out, why must we all have (insert companion here) and make it the same.

Really in the end it didn't matter. When people RP'd they just sent their companion home or ignored their existence, and if you didn't RP, it didn't matter because people were more interested in the mechanics and skills of their companions.

For the amount of work that it would take to change all the dialog, track what they told you and a thousand other players individually, and remodel all the missions where he's not actually part of your crew, but just following behind you as an uncontrollable individual, its not worth it.
Captain
# 4
04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I think a lot could be done if the name was randomly generated. Since the Past Enterprise missions showed they can insert bridge officer names into mission text I don't think it would be that hard. Hell, even if we made them ourselves. A woman looking for a sister still works. An old man looking for his sister...

I'm not sure how many missions are worked up differently to deal with that plot situation, but, if they are worked different from mission to mission that is already a dangerous place to be for bugs sakes.
Career Officer
# 5
04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
Honestly, I think a lot could be done if the name was randomly generated. Since the Past Enterprise missions showed they can insert bridge officer names into mission text I don't think it would be that hard. Hell, even if we made them ourselves. A woman looking for a sister still works. An old man looking for his sister...
They can insert text. Not voiceovers.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Captain
# 6
04-23-2013, 05:59 PM
I think Tovan is pretty centric to the storyline - possibly moreso than the player. It looks like the KDF get a Klingon(name eludes me, K'something) who serves a similar role as the player's "Number One".

That said, I recall almost hoping to be able to make a choice between some of the supporting characters. Having to make a choice to save one person or the other.. the survivor becoming part of your crew.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I really like how they introduce Tovan and he ends up your first Boff. Feels very ... SWTOR
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Not just Tovan but your initial 4 boffs all come in a similar fashion, which I really like.

And it seems that I remember having the option to rename the others, although I don't remember if I got that option with Tovan or not.
I will check next time I log in.
Ensign
# 9
04-23-2013, 08:47 PM
I wants a Tovan
Republic Veteran
# 10
04-23-2013, 10:46 PM
While its not on Tribble yet, Dan has stated that Tovan has a lot of VO related to him. That makes him being "random" not likely.

Hopefully they open up uniform customization on him, that would help a lot probably.

We don't even have BOFFs out in most social zones or group queued content, so its not like people will be that exposed to your Tovan.