Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,027
# 51
04-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
There seem to be a lot of people who have a visceral hatred for JJ Abrams, to the point that they are unable to contemplate anything associated with his name with anything like objectivity.

Just sayin'...
I'll say you're not alone in that view

And that it's sad, as it's against the whole point of trying to understand anything that's different (one of the main points of ST).
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,757
# 52
04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I understand perfectly well that it is an ugly starship with a design which looks like it was done by a grade-schooler, designed for a film by a man riding on the coat-tails of a long-running franchise who feels the need to stamp his mark on Hollywood like a dog marking its territory...
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,027
# 53
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I understand perfectly well that it is an ugly starship with a design which looks like it was done by a grade-schooler, designed for a film for a man riding on the coat-tails of a long-running franchise who feels the need to stamp his mark on Hollywood like a dog marking its territory...
You clearly don't understand the meaning of objectivity then

But I'll say it anyway: it means looking at the ship WITHOUT your personal opinion (what you just said) making it biased.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
# 54
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Yeah, there are definitely way too many fanboys in here on synced up cycles... I didn't super care for the JJ Star Trek, but it didn't kill me, and the cast was amazing... Let's just let things work themselves out before we crap chickens over a movie we haven't seen, a villian we're not sure of, a ship we can't fully explain, and a plot we haven't the slightest idea of...

Seriously, Midol is sold at your local pharmacy...
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,757
# 55
04-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
You clearly don't understand the meaning of objectivity then

But I'll say it anyway: it means looking at the ship WITHOUT your personal opinion (what you just said) making it biased.
I guess you missed my post over the page where I pointed out that it is a chopped up Galaxy-Class saucer on a body which looks like it is built from Legos... That's not my opinion, that is a visual fact... My dislike of JJ non-withstanding, it is quite simply a poor design and looks ugly. As mentioned, the Defiant was not designed to be a warship, but was an un-used freighter design, which was suitable for the purpose... The only vaguely tactical consideration the Vengeance has to its design, is that the donut saucer would present less of a target to incoming weapons fire. My opinion, is that that was not an intentional consideration, given how miss-matched the rest of the ship's design is...

PS **** JJ
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 197
# 56
04-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
That is an ugly ship. maybe in a way its meant to be and when you watch it on screen and see the story it will 'work'. i dont know.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder man lol, ship looks bad ass!

WHere's my T5 Vengence 3-pack? LOL

jk, nothings getting my main out of my vesta lol...and alt? maybe!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,027
# 57
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I guess you missed my post over the page where I pointed out that it is a chopped up Galaxy-Class saucer on a body which looks like it is built from Legos... That's not my opinion, that is a visual fact... My dislike of JJ non-withstanding, it is quite simply a poor design and looks ugly. As mentioned, the Defiant was not designed to be a warship, but was an un-used freighter design, which was suitable for the purpose... The only vaguely tactical consideration the Vengeance has to its design, is that the donut saucer would present less of a target to incoming weapons fire. My opinion, is that that was not an intentional consideration, given how miss-matched the rest of the ship's design is...

PS **** JJ
And yet, your post there looks like it's contradicting itself

You say it looks like a Galaxy-class saucer, and I don't deny that, because it does look like one. But using 'chopped up, Legos, poor design and looks ugly' all strongly imply personal opinion, not fact.

Not to mention, what is fact to you probably isn't fact for me. We all see things differently than everyone else after all.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,619
# 58
04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I guess you missed my post over the page where I pointed out that it is a chopped up Galaxy-Class saucer on a body which looks like it is built from Legos... That's not my opinion, that is a visual fact... My dislike of JJ non-withstanding, it is quite simply a poor design and looks ugly. As mentioned, the Defiant was not designed to be a warship, but was an un-used freighter design, which was suitable for the purpose... The only vaguely tactical consideration the Vengeance has to its design, is that the donut saucer would present less of a target to incoming weapons fire. My opinion, is that that was not an intentional consideration, given how miss-matched the rest of the ship's design is...

PS **** JJ
I guess you missed the Giant Phaser Rotary Cannons* flanking the main deflector.



*(and I say again, because I am apparently the only one excited by these, "SSQQUUEEEEEE!!!!")

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,757
# 59
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
You say it looks like a Galaxy-class saucer, and I don't deny that, because it does look like one. But using 'chopped up, Legos, poor design and looks ugly' all strongly imply personal opinion, not fact.
Blocky angular hull is miss-matched to the curves of the saucer. Better? Regardless of my opinion or appreciation of the design, the fact that the two hulls are of two totally different design aesthetics is impossible to ignore, and impossible to consider in a positive light, as a good design would be consistent across the entire ship. The only thing which is consistent across the Vengeance, is the color of the hull...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Not to mention, what is fact to you probably isn't fact for me. We all see things differently than everyone else after all.
Your appreciation of the ship can certainly be different to mine, and I have no issue with that. The inconsistency of the design, however, is a fact, regardless of our perceptions of it...
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 669
# 60
04-24-2013, 01:45 PM
all I have to say is a Doughnut shaped saucer section is WRONG!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 PM.