Captain
# 71
04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Since I'm not a car person, I'm gonna assume you're saying something along the lines of a person fusing a PS3 with the a very old SNES... or something similar.

Which I'll agree would be mildly odd, because that's just plain unusual But I wouldn't let that unusual oddity stop me from considering it lol
I'm not much of a car person either, but a Hummer is a very angular off-road vehicle, a Veyron is one of the fastest production cars on the planet, with a very curved, flowing design... In this instance, the blockiness of the Hummer would totally negate the capability of the Veyron (as well as not looking too good
Empire Veteran
# 72
04-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I'm not much of a car person either, but a Hummer is a very angular off-road vehicle, a Veyron is one of the fastest production cars on the planet, with a very curved, flowing design... In this instance, the blockiness of the Hummer would totally negate the capability of the Veyron (as well as not looking too good
Hmm, so putting the box 'roof' on a curved, flowing car design, essentially...

I see where you're coming from, and how that would look ugly, but I can't quite agree I probably wouldn't call it great-looking, but not ugly either. More like 'huh, interesting' lol, at least independently of what I think of it's capabilities
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'. I have nothing against the game/devs, nor any particular wish to talk bad about either, or praise most decisions. Still, it's better to be positive than cynical.
Captain
# 73
04-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Hmm, so putting the box 'roof' on a curved, flowing car design, essentially...

I see where you're coming from, and how that would look ugly, but I can't quite agree I probably wouldn't call it great-looking, but not ugly either. More like 'huh, interesting' lol, at least independently of what I think of it's capabilities
Pretty much...

That's fair enough, it would be pretty counter-productive though, and probably wouldn't be winning any design awards, and that's what I was meaning with regard the look of the Vengeance... As someone who does design work, how well something balances aesthetically is very key to how I view things
Career Officer
# 74
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhausen View Post
There are a lot of knee-jerk anti-Abrams people on the one side. On the other hand, there are a lot of people on the other side who act like any criticism whatsoever of this new movie somehow means you're not a 'real' Star Trek fan (you're violating IDIC! or whatever...)

Being a fan of something doesn't mean that when the producers of said thing hand you a plate of steaming excrement you eat it up with a smile.

The movie has already opened in several parts of the world, as much as you want to tell people to see it before they attack it, I'll tell you, without spoiling anything...

...see it before you defend it. There's a significant plot twist that a lot of people aren't going to like, and even more people are going to hate the ending.
Haven't seen it yet, but judting from numerous reviews I do know enough to be able to say that Abrams and Co. are really proving to everyone that they're not the talent that they are purported to be. This movie will reiterate that they really are completely incapable of coming up with a genuine original idea between them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Instead of asking the question "Why are players doing this?"

The question being asked is, "How do we stop players from doing this?"
Empire Veteran
# 75
04-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Haven't seen it yet, but judting from numerous reviews I do know enough to be able to say that Abrams and Co. are really proving to everyone that they're not the talent that they are purported to be. This movie will reiterate that they really are completely incapable of coming up with a genuine original idea between them.
Do you mean the critic reviews, or just reviews from other people?

Because as I've found out long ago, reviews from either source aren't the end-all argument about a film/video game's entertainment value to you. That's up the the individual imo

And besides, the film hasn't even come out everywhere just yet... not to mention immediate first reactions can often change. Some didn't like the Galaxy when it first came out on TNG, but have since come to love it
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'. I have nothing against the game/devs, nor any particular wish to talk bad about either, or praise most decisions. Still, it's better to be positive than cynical.

Last edited by trek21; 04-24-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Captain
# 76
04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Meh. I still have no idea what the movie is about. I'll watch it, then decide what to think of the Evil-Legoprise
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Lieutenant
# 77
04-24-2013, 04:46 PM
It's not ugly, it's just angular and harsh, unlike most starfleet vessels. I actually like it.
Captain
# 78
04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm sure the Vengeance will look better on screen than it does here. As for the movie itself ... I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured ... the first thought forbidden ... the first freedom denied ... chains us all irrevocably."
Rihannsu
# 79
04-24-2013, 05:05 PM
It looks like the bastard child of a Battlestar and the STO Excalibur class.
Commander
# 80
04-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neocene2012 View Post
Star Trek's facebook page just released the first shot of the new starship Vengeance from "Into Darkness". It's seen briefly in the newest trailer. Here is a full shot of the vessel.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7367362...in/photostream
Wow. Thats the name of my ship line ingame!