Career Officer
# 2
04-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Any genre, any medium, any reason...

Mine's Rupert Campbell-Black
I had to Bing him, but I... approve.

I don't know if I can settle on a favorite, but my top three are Dirk Pitt, Rorschach, and Rat.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 3
04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
I had to Bing him, but I... approve.
Rupert's the kind of guy who would go to the ends of the Earth to help a friend, but equally, would go to the same lengths to utterly destroy someone in his bad books. Total pimp, but reforms as he matures. (Tilly is a descendant...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
I don't know if I can settle on a favorite, but my top three are Dirk Pitt, Rorschach, and Rat.
I wasn't familiar with Rat, but he sounds awesome, I like the cut of his gib
Empire Veteran
# 4
04-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I have several, most of whom are in mostly unknown novels. So I will just say the one most people should know. Drizzt Do'Urden.
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Captain
# 5
04-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Sherlock Holmes, and I've been a fan years before the current craze of movies and TV shows. I've collected the originals, then oodles of other books tackling the character.

A rising second would be a newcomer detective duo set in the same time period: Barker & Llewelyn, first appearing in Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas. A smidgeon less deductive reasoning, with more action, and an ongoing question of who the mysterious, highly-trained, and deadly man behind the dark glasses (Barker) really is.
Captain
# 6
04-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Wow. It's even worse than asking me to pick a favorite child - I've only got two of those.

Let's see, I'd definitely have to include Dr. Prilicla, the Cinrusskin neurosurgeon from James White's Sector General stories. Being an empath, it's always careful not to hurt anyone's feelings, because it would feel the hurt too; and Dr. Conway first bonded with Prilicla because in the etiquette of Sector General, when dining in the cafeteria you're limited to eating what the most sensitive being at the table can stand to see (don't eat steak if you're dining with a Tralthan - just don't), and Prilicla enjoys eating spaghetti and can use a fork. (Of course, some Terran doctors are put off by the way it eats spaghetti - cooked with slivered carrots, and braided into a sort of rope as it goes into Prilicla's beak - but Conway's put up with much worse than that during his tenure there.)

There's Molly Millions/Sally Scissor/three or four other aliases I forget, from William Gibson's Sprawl tales - a cybernetically-enhanced street fighter, with a jumped-up nervous system, ocular implants that can see infrared and have a clock built into one retina (covered by implanted mirror lenses), and three-inch-long retractable surgical steel blades in recessed housings under her fingernails. She can't seem to hold onto any relationship for very long, due to her own self-destructive streak.

Carrot, captain of the Watch of Ankh-Morpork, is a six-foot-tall dwarf (an orphan, human by birth, he was adopted by a hill dwarf family, and still thinks of himself as one of them). He's painfully honest - to the point that when he does try to lie, generally by leaving out some aspect of the truth, nobody thinks to doubt him. (He once told a crime lord he was investigating that he had specific instructions about what to do if the criminal wouldn't answer his questions, but he'd hate to have to carry out those orders. Of course, the specific instructions were, "leave at once and don't bother him again," but Carrot didn't say that part, and the crime lord made certain assumptions...) He also may be a direct descendant of the last rightful King of Ankh-Morpork. He discourages such speculations; for one, he thinks the Patrician is doing as good a job as anyone could do in that city, and for another, he's not stupid enough to think he'd survive long if the Patrician ever thought of him as a threat.

There's Beowulf Shaeffer from Niven's Known Space stories, who's too lazy to stay out of trouble, but sufficiently brilliant to get back out of it again (he once got out of bankruptcy, on a world with debtor's prison, by undertaking a flight around a neutron star that had killed the last people to try it, then using a bit of information he'd gleaned from that to blackmail a Pierson's puppeteer for a million UN stars).

And so many, many more - Charlie Armstead, Juan Rico, Skywise, Henry Case...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 7
04-21-2013, 04:38 AM
Some intriguing sounding characters there, I'm definitely going to have to expand my reading Keep 'em coming

[Edit to add]

Some honorable mentions:

Keill Randor
Captain Jack Harkness
Eve Dallas
Mick Leonforte
False Maria

Last edited by marcusdkane; 04-21-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
04-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Sherlock Holmes, and I've been a fan years before the current craze of movies and TV shows. I've collected the originals, then oodles of other books tackling the character.
I recently watched a 1960s TV adaptation of "Hound of the Baskervilles" starring Peter Cushing as Holmes. That was creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
There's Beowulf Shaeffer from Niven's Known Space stories,...
Love that guy.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 9
04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
You may have already guessed Alyosha Karamazov is one of my favorite characters...Father Zosima from that book as well. In a similar vein I really felt for Prince Myshkin in The Idiot as well. Left you thinking, when you watched the Epanchins and everyone else that the only thing that got Myshkin labeled an "idiot" was that his type of wisdom was not of this world.

I also love K't'l('s)'k from Diane Duane's book The Wounded Sky, as well as her characters Ael and Arrhae, the first real Rihannsu.

For a more conventional choice, I really like Jack Ryan (though not in Clancy's latest novels...I think Clancy lost the heart for writing after Debt of Honor came true before his eyes, though he would never admit it and only an insensitive jerk would ever dare ask).

I need to find the other Sector General books. I liked Prilicla too!
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 10
04-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
You may have already guessed Alyosha Karamazov is one of my favorite characters...Father Zosima from that book as well. In a similar vein I really felt for Prince Myshkin in The Idiot as well. Left you thinking, when you watched the Epanchins and everyone else that the only thing that got Myshkin labeled an "idiot" was that his type of wisdom was not of this world.

I also love K't'l('s)'k from Diane Duane's book The Wounded Sky, as well as her characters Ael and Arrhae, the first real Rihannsu.

For a more conventional choice, I really like Jack Ryan (though not in Clancy's latest novels...I think Clancy lost the heart for writing after Debt of Honor came true before his eyes, though he would never admit it and only an insensitive jerk would ever dare ask).

I need to find the other Sector General books. I liked Prilicla too!
My top choice is hardly conventional, given Jilly Cooper's target audience... It's her fault I have a thing for older women and showjumping

As for Clancy, it's a shame to see a writer's work go downhill. As formulaic as they were, I always enjoyed Eric Lustbader's novels (and always wished I could see a picture of Justine) but in later installations of the Nicholas Linnear series, his once believable character just became a tedious gary stu, and the antagonist was the more plausible and interesting character. When I saw he had been tasked with writing more in the Bourne series, I was initially overjoyed. Then I read, and realized that he had clearly never read any of the Bourne series, and was essentially expanding the character from Matt Damon's portrayal... Not 'bad', per se, but a disappointing decline in the quality of his output