Ensign
# 1 Romulans Weapons and Equipment
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Let's talk about weapons and equip. for our Romulans, ground specifically.
I'd like to see some special melee weapons!
[i]We Are Phoenix Rebirth. Rising from the Ashes we are reborn again and again and continue to grow as fire burning across the Milky Way galaxy.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
We've discussed this internally, but we ran into two large limitations:

1) There is no canon reference to a Romulan using any melee weapon that we could find. Maybe a dagger or something, but that's not exactly a match for bat'leth or lirpa.

* In STO's canon, ancient Romulans appear to have had some sort of swordcraft, but it seems to have been abandoned over the centuries.

2) Any new melee weapon is likely to require extensive animation work, which we don't have the man-hours to design/create/implement. Unless they could somehow make use of the existing Lirpa, Bat'leth or Sword animations. But that would kinda defeat the purpose of them feeling 'unique' if they're just a simple weapon geometry swap.

It's not completely off the table, but it's also not likely to come to pass.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Rihannsu
# 3
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Hmm... maybe play off the "Sword of the Raptor Star" that was forged by Sharien? you could do like that Batleth Kahless gives players and use the Tegolar animations with a new weapon model.

Oh and... Ushaan: WANT!
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Republic Veteran
# 4
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
pity... i was kinda hooping since finding the Sword of the Raptor Star that we could get it... or a replica of it, as a weapon. as in the name it says its a sword.... perhaps come up with a unique sword skin for it?
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 5
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
2) Any new melee weapon is likely to require extensive animation work, which we don't have the man-hours to design/create/implement. Unless they could somehow make use of the existing Lirpa, Bat'leth or Sword animations. But that would kinda defeat the purpose of them feeling 'unique' if they're just a simple weapon geometry swap.

Not everything has to be completely unique. While I would love to get a proper Ushaan I would be very happy with Romulan and Klingon style swords that use the animations of the Tsunkatse Falchion.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Captain
# 6
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:

1) There is no canon reference to a Romulan using any melee weapon that we could find. Maybe a dagger or something, but that's not exactly a match for bat'leth or lirpa.
Romulans no... Remans maybe? Hirogen?
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.

Last edited by vitzh; 04-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I say give them a new style of sword and hook it up to the existing sword animations. We've got three melee weapon types right now, two of them are closely associated with one of the player factions. Makes sense to give the third faction the third weapon.
Republic Veteran
# 8
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I do agree if the Romulan ground weapon is swords then just use the sword animations we have already from the Tholian sword. No reason to reinvent the wheel. Just need the model and textures and attach the current sword animation. If you want to revise them later your free to do that but we are fine with a generic animation if it means we get our factions melee weapon.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
04-24-2013, 10:42 AM
The lirpa is a Romulan weapon (same ancestors as the vulcans)
perhaps one with a blade on both ends?
Rihannsu
# 10
04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Quote:

SNIP

Just a related questions, but what about the NPC animations for the Klingon daggers and Mek'leth? Pretty sure I've seen those in game. But what is wrong with those animations that you couldn't use them?
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member