Career Officer
At first I thought the lack of access to Federation uniforms was due to just visiting the Romulan tailors but visiting Earth Spacedock I'm still limited to just Romulan uniforms.

I get it that Cryptic is all about making Romulans feel unique but at the same time the character is still a member of one of the existing factions. The player should have the choice to put them in whatever faction clothing options are generically available.

Will this mean I couldn't use any of the CStore costumes for my Romulan? While that would certainly save me some money it would be rather foolish for Cryptic as it would cut off a revenue stream with an Xpac that will likely draw in both lapsed and new players.

It's the same situation as with the ships. Cryptic wants to lock in the use of Romulan ships so Romulan players don't feel they must pick certain existing "best" ships to preserve the "uniqueness" of the race. But all that does is limit, savagely, the options of Romulan players. And if Romulan ships aren't kept up to speed with those "best" ships it will create a strong sense of resentment among Romulan players.

More options Cryptic, not less. I thought from past Cryptic games I've played it was a lesson the developers had long ago learned.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
05-12-2013, 02:41 PM
poke about a bit
the klingon ones are there but a bit hard to find (I accidentally randomised one to klingon shoulderpads)
Captain
# 3
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Romulans don't get access to Federation uniforms because they are not part of the Federation (or Klingon Empire). The Romulan Republic is a faction of its own. We get to choose an ally, but this system only matters in regard to PvP and Fleet Starbases because Cryptic apparently didn't have the resources to implement 3 faction PvP.
Lieutenant
# 4
05-12-2013, 02:54 PM
[quote=eisenw0lf;9885211]Romulans don't get access to Federation uniforms because they are not part of the Federation (or Klingon Empire). The Romulan Republic is a faction of its own. [/ QUOTE]

This.
Captain
# 5
05-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Roms don't want to wear Feddie uniforms because feddie fashion designers suck. All the really cool clothes are made by Klingons.
Career Officer
# 6
05-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
Roms don't want to wear Feddie uniforms because feddie fashion designers suck. All the really cool clothes are made by Klingons.
When did rags and shag-carpet-coats become cool?
Captain
# 7
05-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveimperator View Post
When did rags and shag-carpet-coats become cool?
Jealous much.
Career Officer
# 8
05-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, if that's Cryptic's attitude it's certainly going to take a burden off my wallet. I was planning to switch up to Romulan after seeing the backstory but now knowing I won't be tempted by the oodles of CStore appearance items for both clothing and ships? That's a major plus for me.

Too bad for Cryptic.
Rihannsu
# 9
05-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domvina View Post
Well, if that's Cryptic's attitude it's certainly going to take a burden off my wallet. I was planning to switch up to Romulan after seeing the backstory but now knowing I won't be tempted by the oodles of CStore appearance items for both clothing and ships? That's a major plus for me.

Too bad for Cryptic.
There's already at least one Romulan costume pack planned.
Lieutenant
# 10
05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
Romulans don't get access to Federation uniforms because they are not part of the Federation (or Klingon Empire). The Romulan Republic is a faction of its own. We get to choose an ally, but this system only matters in regard to PvP and Fleet Starbases because Cryptic apparently didn't have the resources to implement 3 faction PvP.
[quote=jtoon74;9885241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
Romulans don't get access to Federation uniforms because they are not part of the Federation (or Klingon Empire). The Romulan Republic is a faction of its own. [/ QUOTE]

This.
Really now? So why give a Romulan a Fed uniform ('Yesterday's Enterprise') as a quest reward, hmm? How many Klinks get Fed uniforms (i.e. uniforms they can't wear) as a reward?

Doesn't stand up to logic. So Romulans can fly your ships (hell, they're GIVEN the ships) but not wear their clothes? Sure you can drive my car but hell if I let you wear my jacket!

It's an oversight. Unless they have a dozen or so Romulan vessels (and bridge packs and costume sets and...) ready to drop within a month of the expansion's release (that would be 'by late June'), it doesn't make fiscal sense. They're going to such pains to distinguish the Romulan Republic from the Feds and KDF.....but forcing them to buy/fly Fed or KDF ships? Does not compute. As it is, I have a sneaking suspicion that Romulan ships are going to be palpably inferior to their Fed and KDF counterparts and if that's the case, people aren't going to want to fly them (outside of RP purposes) anyway.

The whole point of a f2p game is to give people a reason to buy crap from the cash shop. Anyone remember when the Galaxy Dreadnought was first introduced and people whined and wailed about how overpowered the Spinal Lance was? I'm pretty sure that controversy drove some sales (and is why most MMO expansions launch with at least a few OP features.....which are nerfed after the initial rush). Coming out with a new faction and not allowing them to wear the uniforms of the faction they ally with would only be done by people who are allergic to money. Pretty sure that description doesn't fit PWE.