Career Officer
# 171
08-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
I wouldn't usually respond to sentiment like this, because I don't like to reward negativity on the forums,
No offence, but I feel that's a bit of a cop-out. See, I look at 'negativity' a whole lot different than you. When I watch people being 'negative' as you call it, what I really see is the underlying frustration -- one that I can recognize as genuine and often well-founded. Like people -- myself included -- getting hopelessly frustrated/annoyed with very obvious bugs not getting fixed, even though they've been brought to your attention many, many times.

Now, one way to look at this, is to say "My, what negativity; I'm not going to 'reward' that." Another way would be "Obviously there's some deep frustration going on here, and we devs needs to examine, in ourselves, what we are doing -- or not doing -- to cause this." And not look at the form in which it's written so much. I think often you will find people have a very legitimate beef: even when their actual words are larded with overtones of frustration, and maybe anger even.

But honestly, if you're going to shrug off every 'negative' post, simply because you only want to deal with the happy-happy replies, then you're dismissing all root-causes of said frustrations. And that feels like choosing the easy-way out. I mean, ignoring negative feedback basically equals ignoring feedback altogether. And that's sad.
Captain
# 172
08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
But honestly, if you're going to shrug off every 'negative' post, simply because you only want to deal with the happy-happy replies, then you're dismissing all root-causes of said frustrations.
Hawk doesn't shrug off every 'negative' post though. There's a vast difference between negative posts (lol, I've done more than my fair share of them) and blatant trolling posts.

Joe Random states that Cryptic is always nerfing stuff and favoring the PvP folks.

What does that post always end up doing? Turns into a big flamewar, mods have to put on their oven mitts to shut it down, etc, etc, etc. All Jeff said was that he normally doesn't reply to posts like that...knowing what they are and not wanting to reward trolls with the attention.

Think about the two guys that have been trolling the two PvP threads over in General Discussion, eh?

There can be constructive negative feedback, there can be non-constructive negative feedback, there can be ranting/raging negative feedback...and then there's the trolling crap. Why bother rewarding them?

edit: And as the post before your reply said, I'm still curious about how proc overwrites for Disruptors work and what the mechanics for negative DRR/DRM are in relation to damage since the formula we have for positive DRR/DRM obviously can't be the same one for negative...

Willard the Rat, Klingon Science Officer

Swordsman Tip: You are your own biggest hurdle to becoming a better player.
Career Officer
# 173
08-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Hawk doesn't shrug off every 'negative' post though. There's a vast difference between negative posts (lol, I've done more than my fair share of them) and blatant trolling posts.

Joe Random states that Cryptic is always nerfing stuff and favoring the PvP folks.
I wasn't talking about Joe's post specifically (I only half-read it, tbh; something about nerf... blah... unfair). But the matter has come up a lot of late, whether and/or why Cryptic seems to ignore so much. So, when I read this, I figured: "Wow, if devs are ignoring 'negative' posts, then there must be a lot of ignoring going on, as ppl tend to be upset rather often, for various reasons -- myself included."

Quote:
There can be constructive negative feedback, there can be non-constructive negative feedback, there can be ranting/raging negative feedback...and then there's the trolling crap. Why bother rewarding them?
Rewarding is perhaps not an ideal term here. I would certainly noy dignify many rants myself, were I in a dev's shoes. My point just was, that I hope devs can *read* thru the anger/negativity, and still distill why people are so upset; and maybe give those reasons some consideration.

As for disruptors, I think I disrupted this thread enough as it is. *g*

N.B. As for always nerfing and favoring PvP-ers, I don't think so. I say it's probably true, since PvP-ers are usually the most knowledgeable about game-mechanics, that they can best talk 'on-par' with the devs. But I think it's fair to say PvP-ers have always gotten the short end of the stick in this game, as long as memory goes back.