Lieutenant
# 51
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Once Moore took over as the show runner in season 4 it was actually quite good. Getting at why the Federation came to be and why humans were instrumental, even as the new kids on the block, was a good overarching theme. That combined with the general dangers of doing deep space exploration for this first time would have made a more appropriate starting point for the series. The temporal cold war wasn't an awful idea, but it certainly shouldn't have been the focus of the first episode and they should have never done the entire Xindi arc (which was ok in and off itself ignoring anything trek). I like the idea that the entrance of humans into the galaxy as a power is a significant event and leads to a large powerful alliance that brings long-term stability to the region.

As for the look and feel I am fine with the amount of retconning that took place. The look and feel of TOS circa 1967 looks absurd tech wise today. Likewise with the later series as well. The challenge was always create something that looks futuristic enough given what we have now.
Captain
# 52
04-26-2013, 03:18 PM
That was Manny Coto, not Moore.
Starfleet Veteran
# 53
04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah, this is one of the many reasons why I universally hate story lines that involve time travel.

My buddy down in my signature knows what I'm talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 54
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Exactly. The first time I heard "Temporal Cold War," I knew Enterprise was going to torque me off. I wanted to watch a show about humanity taking it's first steps into space and eventually becoming pivotal in the formation of the Federation. The Temporal Cold War meant I wasn't watching that show. . . I was watching a show about some frellniks from the future messing around with humanity's first steps into space and becoming pivotal in the formation of the Federation. And that's just not a show that was very interesting to me.
Captain
# 55
04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
It's like a roller coaster where it makes a loop and the track crosses, even though you past the loop, it's still there...

Nothing to see here, just another time-paradox, please move on...
What's Star Trek Online without Exploration? Star Wars! (War zones and STFs)
Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play STO more like Star Trek with challenge, teamwork and FUN!
Lt. Commander
# 56
04-26-2013, 04:16 PM
If Ron Moore had taken over as the showrunner, Archer would have turned out to be the Messiah and the show would have had a weird, pointless ending, so that was an understandable mistake.
Lt. Commander
# 57
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
Before, Drex Files was taken down, Drexler went into the design process of the NX-01. They wanted a design derivative of the Daedalus, but Berman wanted a ship with the basic elements of Star Trek in order to be visually identified with Star Trek. You didn't follow through with Archer's dance. At first, the Enterprise Vulcans were very different but in the Fourth Season, they had a good arc that helped explained it (Not a planned explanation, but a good way evolve modern Vulcans)

About the Galaxy, if you read the various fanzines in the 80s when TNG and the new-Enterprise was first announced, you think the new Enterprise from Trek 09 outcry was bad.
No, I followed through just fine, eld - I understand that there was an in-universe explanation for what they did, I just found it deeply unconvincing, and not particularly good writing to boot. If nothing else, if we're doing a story where there's a significant 22nd century reform of Vulcan society, at least let the Vulcan do it.

I look at it this way - if Rightful Heir had been the story of Picard rescuing Kahless from the priests of Borath and bringing the true story of his legacy to the Empire, would the episode have been nearly as good?

(Note: Maybe you think so, and that's fine! Everybody looks at these differently)