Ensign
# 1 Bad graphics
04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
So i logged in the first week of April and my graphics decided to quit on me. For some unknown reason the gameplay grphics are now barred and worse than half resolution. I dont think it's my grphics card because my other games work. I tried reinstalling STO and still nothing. I really could use some help soon with Legacy of Rumulus coming soon. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2013, 07:54 PM
If you're running two graphics cards on your computer, switch the default to the higher one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
There are no secrets except the secrets that keep themselves.
Captain
# 3
04-25-2013, 09:28 PM
You're not giving us much info to work with, what are your system specs?
Hardware? Memory? Windows? Linux? Direct X 9?, 10?, 11?
Check your settings, check that your direct X is up to date, check your drivers, remember the latest driver may not be the best one. If the game was working ok before then something happened to change that, you either had a hardware failure or you installed something that doesn't like the game.
Commander
# 4
04-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a similar issue to another thread so I'll quote myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornado View Post
I was having the same problem, I had it chalked up to running out of video RAM, but if you are getting it on 3gb cards, I doubt thats it, unless as you say it has an incredible memory leak.

I fixed it by unchecking the advanced settings check box in STOs graphic settings and the moving the quality slider all the way down, then all the way back up again.

The problem comes back any time I mess with view distance settings, hence why I assumed it was running out of VRAM loading all the distant detail textures, but I only have a 512mb card.

Hope that works for you!
Side note, if it IS a VRAM issue and it seems like it may be, it also seems to be a result of a recent patch, this may be a worthy of a bug report if any more people experience the issue and its fixed in a similar way.
Captain
# 5
04-27-2013, 08:24 AM
New Romulus for some reason will give me a Reduced graphics out of memory warning which I don't get from anywhere else, Now I run Razers Game booster to shut down a lot of stuff I don't need running when I'm gaming and don't have any problems. The game may have a memory leak in certain zones.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........