Commander
# 1 Star Trek Online and WoT
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
anyone here played World of Tanks? if not it's a f2p game very much similar in nature. well not too long ago World of tanks completely redesigned their game engine and I was wondering if maybe the STO crew would consider the same?

for instance when i'm trying to gain altitude I have to kind of corkscrew up. games like Starfleet and Klingon academies never had this problem for space was genuinely 3d.

please give a thought cryptic!! all you have to do is add top and bottom shields!!!
Captain
# 2
04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
The corkscrew is intentional. With the exception of some Defiant scenes, Trek has generally been about tall ships sailing on an ocean of space. That's the image that they like to portray.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Commander
# 3
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
anyone here played World of Tanks? if not it's a f2p game very much similar in nature. well not too long ago World of tanks completely redesigned their game engine and I was wondering if maybe the STO crew would consider the same?

for instance when i'm trying to gain altitude I have to kind of corkscrew up. games like Starfleet and Klingon academies never had this problem for space was genuinely 3d.

please give a thought cryptic!! all you have to do is add top and bottom shields!!!
Already long since dismissed. STO is intended to be tall ships in space.

Also, while I do agree this game needs a new engine from the ground up, that's never going to happen. There's too much invested in Star Champs Online to ever rewrite the whole thing to actually function like a space game instead of a super hero game with a Star Trek veneer.
Career Officer
# 4
04-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post

3d engine huh? it will never happen, i remember someone stating back in 2011 that it will require the entire game engine to be redesigned to fix the issue. which means no new content for a very long time. its not feasible.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Captain
# 5
04-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
3d engine huh? it will never happen, i remember someone stating back in 2011 that it will require the entire game engine to be redesigned to fix the issue. which means no new content for a very long time. its not feasible.
The engine can do 3d - just as it does for flying characters in CO and NWNs - but they specifically choose to not represent that in this game. Again, it's a tall ships thing.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Commander
# 6
04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The corkscrew is intentional. With the exception of some Defiant scenes, Trek has generally been about tall ships sailing on an ocean of space. That's the image that they like to portray.
"Tall ships sailing on an ocean of space" was a limit of the technology used to film the series, not a limitation of the IP.

Sad to see you clinging to such a weak excuse.
Career Officer
# 7
what so going around in a limited fashion circling downwards is 3d? XD intriguing and dizzying at the same time .
Commander
# 8

I can name a dozen different instances instantly off the top off my head where the top and bottom shields were either discussed or shot at.

World of Tanks redesigned their engine and it totally made a whole ner game out of it.

Star Trek Online has that potential.

DO NOT let IT DIE
Career Officer
# 9
04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
"Tall ships sailing on an ocean of space" was a limit of the technology used to film the series, not a limitation of the IP.

Sad to see you clinging to such a weak excuse.
it wasnt just defiant with nog that pulled off such a move either, go back 200 years to the edge of the xindi expanse to a certain human built ship out witting klingons doing an L9 move.

barrel rolls with voyager, voyager shuttle craft with chakotay on board out witting a kazon shuttle pilot kar.
Captain
# 10
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
There was the scene at the end of The Wrath of Khan where the Enterprise changed its "altitude" by purely vertical movement to gain a positional advantage on Khan and the Reliant. There isn't a reason why this couldn't be integrated to some extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPQfwmfRq2s