Commander
# 11
04-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post

I can name a dozen different instances instantly off the top off my head where the top and bottom shields were either discussed or shot at.

World of Tanks redesigned their engine and it totally made a whole ner game out of it.

Star Trek Online has that potential.

DO NOT let IT DIE
World of Tanks is not nearly the cash cow that this game is. They're very unlikely to make back all the money they would spend by revamping the entire engine to better suit Trek and outer space, considering all the interruptions and nonsense that would go with it dampening their sales.

World of Tanks is also not owned by PWE, who is pulling the strings of this game.
Captain
# 12
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
There was the scene at the end of The Wrath of Khan where the Enterprise changed its "altitude" by purely vertical movement to gain a positional advantage on Khan and the Reliant. There isn't a reason why this couldn't be integrated to some extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPQfwmfRq2s
There absolutely is:

Cryptic doesn't want to.
Career Officer
# 13
04-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
3d engine huh? it will never happen, i remember someone stating back in 2011 that it will require the entire game engine to be redesigned to fix the issue. which means no new content for a very long time. its not feasible.
Whoever said that was either talking out of his aft thruster array or just pulling your leg.

It's a 3-d engine so it actually supports 3-d movement.
Keep in mind we use the same engine in space and in the ground and on the ground you just jump up vertically so it's obviously possible.
Also it's the same engine use in Champions...where characters can fly and make midair backflips.
So...yeah the engine can do it without any problems.
Commander
# 14
04-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
it wasnt just defiant with nog that pulled off such a move either, go back 200 years to the edge of the xindi expanse to a certain human built ship out witting klingons doing an L9 move.

barrel rolls with voyager, voyager shuttle craft with chakotay on board out witting a kazon shuttle pilot kar.
Perhaps most notable is the z-axis attack the Gal-X performs in All Good Things...

I think it's safe to assume that it's a limitation of the engine. No one could be that stupid to think "tall ships" was a good excuse.
Career Officer
# 15
04-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97 View Post
World of Tanks is not nearly the cash cow that this game is. They're very unlikely to make back all the money they would spend by revamping the entire engine to better suit Trek and outer space, considering all the interruptions and nonsense that would go with it dampening their sales.

World of Tanks is also not owned by PWE, who is pulling the strings of this game.
i played WoT for a while, hell even played the WoWP CB not long ago, fun shooting down more talented players in far more maneuverable fighters with a slow cumbersome bomber and playing evasive maneuvers like you wouldnt believe in such a slow thing (not kidding, i can last the disance of several minutes under sustained fire with evasive moves). if that sort thing was added to this game, it would add a whole new element to pvp for sure, it would increase the AI abilities a lot more as well when doing PVE.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Commander
# 16
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
indeed, acting like ships in star trek never moved in a 3d way is a weak excuse. having space movement limited in such a crippling way does far more harm than good. in fact, it plays a major part in breaking the immersion of being out in open space.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
04-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Devs... play war thunder!!! then make us a epic ww2 battle of britain holoeck program :O

I want an Armored Hatham called Fluffy!
Career Officer
# 18
04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Okay, OP, first of all: I loved Starfleet Academy, still do.

But space there was a screw-up. It happened way too often that ships were completely mis-aligned. Sure, that's realistic. But it's not Star Trek.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Rihannsu
# 19
04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Well then, how about this excuse for NOT allowing complete 3-axis movement in STO:

A significant MAJORITY of the players would NOT be able to handle the space combat in such a situation leading to them leaving STO. Then the only people left playing STO when it gets shutdown would be just the hardcore simulation fans.

Something else to think about for all you hardcore simulation experts demanding complete 3-axis movement in STO - have you ever flown your ship into the "ceiling" or "floor" in sector space? What about in individual instances? Have you ever watched the NPC ships as they fly around?

Do you really and completely understand what all would need to be involved in changing STO in order accommodate complete 3-axis movement?
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
anyone here played World of Tanks? if not it's a f2p game very much similar in nature. well not too long ago World of tanks completely redesigned their game engine and I was wondering if maybe the STO crew would consider the same?

for instance when i'm trying to gain altitude I have to kind of corkscrew up. games like Starfleet and Klingon academies never had this problem for space was genuinely 3d.

please give a thought cryptic!! all you have to do is add top and bottom shields!!!
CRYPTIC ... I WISH YOU COULD IMPLEMENT WHAT THIS GUY JUST ASKED FOR. I really do wish ...
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...