Career Officer
ok so I had to ask who do you folks want next Borg, Dominion , species 8472, xindi? or a group we aren't evn thing about as the next playable race ? please offer your insights below because you never know who reading this so make your voice heard
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
ok so I had to ask who do you folks want next Borg, Dominion , species 8472, xindi? or a group we aren't evn thing about as the next playable race ? please offer your insights below because you never know who reading this so make your voice heard
I'm betting on Return of the Jedi
Career Officer
# 3
04-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Star Trek Online: Keeping Up With the Cardassians
Captain
# 4
04-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Since they have been working on Romulans for 2 years I'm not sure we're going to see another Micro-Faction next year.

Based on canon I would assume the next most popular species would be the Dominion or Borg. Dan's already said if they do Borg it would be Hugh's Liberated Borg rather than the Collective. I likewise think they would do True Way Alliance over the Dominion. With the Alliance they can give us Jem'Hadar and Cardassians. It just seems like a broader mix.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Star Trek: Episode I - The Borg Menace

Star Trek: Episode II - Attack of the Breen

Star Trek: Episode III - Revenge of the Undine

Star Trek: Episode IV - A New Romulan Hope

Star Trek: Episode V - The Dominion Strikes Back

Star Trek: Episode VI - Return of the Iconians

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
There are no secrets except the secrets that keep themselves.
Captain
# 6
04-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Only other faction I'd be interested in seeing is the Cardassians; not those True Way thugs, the actual Cardassian faction.

Really, they'd lend themselves much better to the sort of things Cryptic are doing with the Romulan faction than the Romulans do. The Cardassian people are already kind of trying to be 'good guys' now, and they do need the support of other powers to get by; while the game's Cardassian antagonists are little more than a band of distinctly unlikeable terrorists, who are unlikely to every really accomplish much beyond ticking everybody off. So everything kind of works for them; unlike with the Romulans, who needed a whole new splinter faction made for the purpose.

Not only that, but the existing Cardassian story arc in the game, would work just as well for members of the Cardassian Defence Force as it does for Starfleet; so it could fit in quite naturally.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Rihannsu
# 7
04-19-2013, 07:04 AM
to me its a straight shoot out between the cardassians or the dominion.

the other factions seem to small and potentially tricky to add. the above 2 are the big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Since they have been working on Romulans for 2 years I'm not sure we're going to see another Micro-Faction next year.
Working on for 2 years is not telling the whole story. how much of that was just meetings, talking about things, looking at the money side of things etc etc.

how much was back end stuff that is now done and can be reused for each new faction quickly and efficiently.

the actually content/development has mostly been done since s7. im sure bits and pieces were done before but the bulk of it has been in 6 months, using the larger team, and working saturdays.

now they probably will want to wait a good while to see how successful it is, but i think its possible to see a new faction next year if this update goes over well, if not the first half then the second half of the year.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 8
04-19-2013, 07:07 AM
borg? i cant see that ever happening, 1 expert player maximizing the tactical cube, 10 reasonably good players 2 groups for fed and kdf attacking that tac cube player, you think he will die? not likely. unless cryptic are willing to surrender considerable ground on the borg for balancing otherwise it will never happen.

dominion? why? they are in the gamma quadrant, their concerns are so far from the alpha quadrant, what would be the point.

true way? why play as a terrorist for?

the new cardassian government under Natima lang? it has potential, but they have been heavily restricted under treaties not to form a military beyond a minimal defense force for cardassian space alone. i can see the cryptic team adjusting that part of the background to give a cardassian playable race and they are a known quantity.

8472? can not see that happening, there is not enough of a background on them to form a reasonable conclusion as to who and what they are and why they fight for, besides they would also need considerable balancing as well.

Xindi? my guess is they have been involved with the federation and rely on their support as a result there is no story there unless its from a federation character. besides that, the borg has recently seized the nearby sector for themselves, so the Xindi being a power by themselves doesnt make sense within federation space and creating a division in the prcoess, this and along with a large borg force nearby, it would be virtual suicide for them especially when they need the support.
The only way the Xindi are going to get a part on the game is probably through a few missions or more then an alien gen character.

Breen? there is nothing known about them beside the fact they are very dangerous, hard to even create a storyline when you know nothing about the Breen.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Career Officer
# 9
04-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post

Based on canon I would assume the next most popular species would be the Dominion or Borg. Dan's already said if they do Borg it would be Hugh's Liberated Borg rather than the Collective. I likewise think they would do True Way Alliance over the Dominion. With the Alliance they can give us Jem'Hadar and Cardassians. It just seems like a broader mix.
We might see these more often if other factions are even more "micro."

Which raises an interesting point:

How would people feel about, say, a new featured species with a tutorial and 5 levels or so of missions and 3 ships available in several versions every 8 months or so, on top of other content releases?
Career Officer
# 10
04-19-2013, 07:12 AM
In particular, I can see the Cardassians as a more micro micro faction. Say, 3-5 ships. 10 levels of content building up to joining the KDF or Starfleet and some standalone alternate missions scattered in.