Civilian
Decurion
Centurion
Subcommander
Commander
Subtribune
Tribune
Legate or Praetor
This has my full support. If nothing else, when the game does expand to 60 as the cap I'd love Praetor to be the highest rank, though it's a slightly imperial title, but it's workable. Praetor sounds cool enough that it would be popular.

I was planning to take one o' them holographic bridge officers and name him Praetorian, after the old Roman elite guard anyway. Praetorian Holomatrix Defense System. "What good is a bodyguard who needs to sleep?"

Sub-Admiral doesn't quite roll off the tongue for me. I'd prefer Vice Admiral given a choice, but that's pure phonetics.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 04-26-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 22
04-26-2013, 11:21 AM
At least in the Empire at the time of TNG, the Romulan Star Navy has Admirals.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alidar_Jarok

Make of that what you will. *shrug*
Rihannsu
# 23
04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post

oh we are not saying that you are wrong, infact there was Admiral Valdour in enterprise as well, just a little differentiation would be nice is all.
Career Officer
# 24
04-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Woah, woah, nice to see people who are interested in Romans, but what we have from canon is this.

I guess Uhlan would be something like "Crewman", so nothing for us (common Romulan doffs), sublieutenant strongly implies the existence of lieutenant (and I would be unsure if it's the equivalent to ensign or lieutenant junior grade), and I don't blame Cryptic for dividing up the Admiral rank the same way they did for the Federation.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Republic Veteran
# 25
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
I kinda like the idea of

Tier 1 = Romulan Civilian (Levels 0-4)
Tier 1 = Romulan Sub-Lieutenant(Levels 5-9)
Tier 2 = Romulan Lieutenant (Levels 10-19)
Tier 3 = Romulan Centurion (Levels 20-29)
Tier 4 = Romulan Subcommander (Levels 30-39)
Tier 5 = Romulan Commander (Levels 40-44)
Tier 5 = Romulan Wing Commander (Levels 45-49)*
Tier 5 = Romulan Sub-Admiral (Level 50)

I've always felt we get to Captain too early in game, no need to rush Romulans to Commander in that regard, also Commodore could be used instead of Sub-Admiral

We have nothing. Nothing but our anger. We will take that spark and start a fire which will become a great conflagration!
Republic Veteran
# 26
04-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorseacat View Post
I agree with the above, perhapse it would be nice if they used something close to the Byzantine or Roman Naval Ranks? Afterall the Romulan word Praetor is pretty much just a title that is (or was rather) held by the Roman Emperors.
not quiet.there were actually two different types of praetors. One was a field commander of the army, usually a lower ranking officer who was in charge until say a general showed up, then there is the elected official who was more of a consul.

of course, there could have been instances when the commander of an army was also a politician...
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 27
04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
of course, there could have been instances when the commander of an army was also a politician...
That would be your textbook Roman Consul.

Seriously, one of their primary jobs was being the commanding General for one of the two pre-Marian Legions (two Consuls, two Legions).

Quote:

If memory serves, Romulan flag officers during the Domion War were called various forms of General.
Captain
# 28
04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:

The issue is not about there being Romulan Admirals. The issue is that they have the same name categories as Federation Admirals. The top 3 Ranks should be differentiated for Romulans just as they are for Klingons. That way each Faction feels unique.

I cannot imagine any Romulan being referred to as Rear Admiral Lower Half just as I cannot imagine any Klingon being referred to that way.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Empire Veteran
# 29
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
In theory, it's all translation anyway, so you translate the actual rank to pretty much any English term.

Also, the Republic could have different ranks than the Empire.

And Praetor was mentioned in "Balance of Terror" from TOS.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 30
04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I cannot imagine any Romulan being referred to as Rear Admiral Lower Half just as I cannot imagine any Klingon being referred to that way.
Or a Fed officer for that matter.

Rename them (from one pip to five) to Commodores, Rear Admirals, Vice Admirals, Admirals and Fleet Admirals.

Or conversely, desynch level from rank entirely and just leave everyone as Captains once they finish the Romulan stories.

Boom, annoyingly bad rank names solved.