Captain
# 11
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Stay on topic please.
Not sure what there is to discuss. All we can really say is "yes please" or "not needed", and hope a Dev will stop by to clarify things.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 12
04-26-2013, 03:18 PM
I agree that someone should have this job. Hiring an experienced Foundry author would be a good call, particularly if that person is a builder, like Alimac20. An experienced author often knows exactly what we need because he or she knows the library and knows the obvious things that are missing, like staple trek items like tricorders or medkits... or the various types of building block textures that are really needed for ceilings and floors.

Honestly, I would rather see this happen, than see another really buggy system addition that breaks more than it adds, often.

Also, we should all be pretty honest with the fact that we're never getting an interior builder comparable to NW. What we could hope for, I think, is having a dev who knows how to give us the ability to better make custom sets by thinking strategically about assets.

Ex: If the starship interiors were broken up into tunnels, while we had props like an Engineering room that could be attached to tunnels, we could do so much.

Just think about what we could do, if we had these interior tunnels, shaped like:

S C T L X Y U l + / \

We could make an entire starship interiors with those pieces.

All it would really take for us to have our own version of interior builder is somebody who can think strategically about:

A. What is missing and needed.
B. How would those things connect?
Captain
# 13
04-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Stay on topic please.
Did somebody mention pizza?
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 14
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
I also think it would generally improve the look of the game, via Foundry missions. The following is a contradiction that I've never understood:

A. Some devs expressed concern that we'd make ugly things.
B. followed by less concern with giving us things that help make custom sets look good.

I'm proud of some of my maps, but at the end of the day, some of them are simply ugly, box-like, and crude, due having to do things like make a transporter pad out of barrels and stone circles.

Or, trying to build a cave with cave walls and no cave ceiling or floors. etc. There are a ton of props, where I have to brainstorm... What the hell do I do with a platform for a captain's chair, but no captain's chair?

The latest frustration involved trying to use the TOS warp core, due to it having no texture on the sides.

Last edited by kirksplat; 04-26-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Rihannsu
# 15
04-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Not sure what there is to discuss. All we can really say is "yes please" or "not needed", and hope a Dev will stop by to clarify things.
i'm pretty sure between everyone people can come up with a little more than yes or no.

even if that is the bulk of the responses its more helpful than the direction this thread was going.

everyone might think its a wonderful idea, but unless people actually say it then it will most likely get looked over as that thread where everyone talked about pizza.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 16
04-27-2013, 04:29 AM
They're not going to pay someone to do it. It's been made clear at this point that the Foundry is waaaaaaaay down their list of priorities.

What I think they should at least consider is making a position for an unpaid intern. Maybe someone in the area is a Foundry author who wouldn't mind volunteering. They'd gain some vital experience and maybe also be able to help provide feedback on what the Foundry could use.

I don't know, maybe that's not realistic, but I feel it's more likely than hiring someone to do the job.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 17
04-27-2013, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
They're not going to pay someone to do it. It's been made clear at this point that the Foundry is waaaaaaaay down their list of priorities.

What I think they should at least consider is making a position for an unpaid intern. Maybe someone in the area is a Foundry author who wouldn't mind volunteering. They'd gain some vital experience and maybe also be able to help provide feedback on what the Foundry could use.

I don't know, maybe that's not realistic, but I feel it's more likely than hiring someone to do the job.
The first intern ever to be paid in ec and dilithium! Add that to the path to 2409 timeline . Seriously though this could work very well.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 04-27-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Captain
# 18
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:

That's a great idea! I'm sure most of us would trip over ourselves to get that opportunity.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
I was being entirely serious. I have on several occasions volunteered for this very job (though someone would have to teach me how).

I think it's a great idea. One of many that are often floated in this forum, a place almost entirely ignored by the devs.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 20
04-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Quote:

First I am pretty sure they are required by law of their state to pay people who work for them. I think its actually illegal for them to have volunteer work (I could be wrong, but this has come up before).

While you are correct in that the foundry has a low priority, there is a difference between being low on the list because no one cares enough about it, and being low because everything else is more important.

i do believe the foundry is important, and they would love to see it developed further. whether that justifies putting a highly skilled dev on it, to waste their talents on what sounds like almost anyone could be trained to do is probably not worth it, but if they are looking to hire people, then for a fairly low wage it might be a good investment. I'm sure there are other office duties that person could do as well.

if some of the top missions are getting 20, 30, 40k of plays then there must be a demand for it, and making the foundry better is only going to help them game.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission