Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lieutenant
So what do the older people in your life think of video games?
I am 19 and I thought that playing video games was considered a socially acceptable thing like Reading, watching television, or movies. But there are apparenty some people that are still living in the past that think that playing video games is considered a: "Waste of time".

I recently had a teacher who thought that playing video games was a waste of time. However she thought that movies and tv shows were normal. I also think that it is funny when elders still see video games as nothing more than 'Mario' or 'Pac Man'. When in fact they are way more complex and can be far mor educational than television.

What are your stories on this subject?
Career Officer
# 2
04-26-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm more than twice your age at 40, and you can probably guess how I view them, as I play this one!

When I was growing up, it was Pong, Pac Man and Space Invaders. Having a games console was a very family social experience, and when the market moved towards computers, they were seen as highly educational because some programming skill was needed to even get the thing to boot up.

Certainly my family are very PC aware, and they just view it as a pastime like any other. My parents are Apple fanatics though. I work with three '50 somethings' as well and they all play games of some sort on their computers.

Don't let it bother you if anyone frowns at your hobby. You don't need their permission or approval. There are some funny people out there, with some funny ideas. I just wished I had more time to play on my PC.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Captain
# 3
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Their PoV: it's a waste of time.

My PoV: it's fun, I'm not buying/using drugs, it's fun, I'm not ignoring "real" aspects of my life and it's fun.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 4
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt001 View Post
I am 19 and I thought that playing video games was considered a socially acceptable thing like Reading, watching television, or movies. But there are apparenty some people that are still living in the past that think that playing video games is considered a: "Waste of time".

I recently had a teacher who thought that playing video games was a waste of time. However she thought that movies and tv shows were normal. I also think that it is funny when elders still see video games as nothing more than 'Mario' or 'Pac Man'. When in fact they are way more complex and can be far mor educational than television.

I would say watching TV and reading trashy pulp novels are equally similar "wastes of time".

I'd say "wasting" your time in a modern society is relative to your situation in life.

If you are out of college, don't have a job and should be getting one to support yourself and instead you spend every waking moment in video games or similar recreation activity, yes you are most likely wasting your time.

If you are playing video games, or watching TV, in a few spare hours a night to relax.

Then that's just good old fashioned recreation, and playing a video game is no worse than the endless volumes of pure garbage you can watch on TV.

Unfortunately video games still have a stigma.

On the other hand, casual gaming like farmville, words with friends and other cheap and easy games will slowly see more and more of the general populace playing some kind of a video game.
Lieutenant
# 5
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
@ first answer. I agree. I probably only game for about 3 hours from 8 to 11 PM. If I wasn't gaming or on the Internet I would probably be watching television. I have many things in life that I do so I don't find it to be that distracting. I am actually gaming less.
Career Officer
# 6
04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
playing video games is considered a: "Waste of time".
I'm assuming people saying that spend 20 hours a day working and 4 hours sleeping their whole lives, dying having contributed a tremendous deal to society... somehow?

I hope they enjoy their time being a cog, sounds like a blast.
I miss my _.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
It's changed over the years.

College: They all felt I should be utterly overwhelmed by the homework and not have time to waste on triviality. Dean's list? Not good enough, obviously you're slacking.
Out of college: "Shouldn't you be at a job interview?" ("It's 10 PM." was not an acceptable answer)
Working: "Shouldn't you be out... I don't know, looking for a better job? Giving me grandchildren before I die?"
Now: "Oh, you're married and you own your own business, you obviously have your life together and anything you do is worthy of my respect. What's that one about?" ("That's my briefcase. For work." no longer an acceptable answer apparently)

Now, I'm bringing home less right now than I did before going into business for myself, my wife and I lived together when I was working, but somehow I am now "together" enough that I'm allowed to pursue my own interests free of judgement.

And that's the silly thing: The stigma isn't on gaming, but gamers, and for terrible reasons, some arbitrary qualification where you're adult enough to enjoy childish things again, like my mother-in-law's doll collection or my mother's love of vintage cartoons.

There is one exception. My grandmother is still disappointed I stopped writing, and feels time I spend doing anything (even running my business) is time I should be spending publishing books. But I was never as good as she thought and the only thing I ever produced worth publishing was a technical manual.

Last edited by hevach; 04-26-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Captain
# 8
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:

It's all a matter of perspective from one's maturity and interests; from one's different phases of life and the way that people's perceptions change (or probably more accurately - doesn't change) as they mature. If someone is not interested in something, they will not follow it and a certain perceptions of it that may or may not be true after time. Also, as people mature their perspectives become more practical.

Games can provide recreation, relaxation, creativity and some level of social interactions. Games also come and go.

Everything in moderation, real life should always come first and make goals to build a good life.

(Sorry, I am not qualified to answer your question. But thought a perspective from another "elder's" standpoint might be of help also. Not everyone thinks the same.)
Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'

Star Trek Battles Channel - STO... The way it was meant to be played!
Captain
# 9
04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm almost 50. Most of the older people in my life aren't thinking anything any more, unless you believe in an afterlife.
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Career Officer
# 10
04-26-2013, 01:42 PM
My mother thinks video games and especially MMORPGs are a waste of time. So I ask her what she does on facebook all day.
- "That's different," she says. "I'm socializing with my friends."

My dad used to think they're a waste of time, but then he discovered Call of Duty. Now every time I come home odds are I'll find him in the rec room with my little brother, my uncle or alone sniping zombies.

(EDIT: I'm in my late 20s, they're both in their late 50s and semi-retired.)