Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 21
04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
An answer to older people and video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1zDBW_UAw
Career Officer
# 22
04-28-2013, 08:50 AM
I have been playing video games longer than the OP has been alive. OP, to anyone who calls your hobby " a waste of time"Know this. RP, and puzzle video games have been medically PROVEN to combat altzheimer's, and memory loss. The Wii system is used for physical therapy,Helping people regain physical ranges of motion.
I still play video games, and it's better than gluing myself in front of the TV in the evenings.Besides, it's not like a drug habit,or other horrible vices you could be engaged in.I wish video games were as good as they are now, when I was 19. I plan to be a gamer until the day I die, and I look forward to what the future holds for the industry.Never feel that your hobby is a waste of time OP.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Captain
# 23
04-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm 54, I love video games. Ok sure, if you have something else that you are supposed to be doing and you're playing video games instead, then yes, you're wasting time. But if it comes to a choice of playing a video game or sitting in front of the television getting drunk while yelling at a football player, I'll choose the former, with getting drunk while doing so as an option.
There are many physical and psychological benefits to gaming, but as with all things, only in moderation.
People who criticize video games have:
A) Never tried it.
B) Tried it and suck at it.
C) Said so because they think it's the mature/proper/popular thing to say, in other words they're a sheeple.
D) Other pastimes that take up their free time that may be more or less socially acceptable than gaming.
E) No free time to play video games, have hobbies or any form of pastime, in other words a mindless labor drone that thinks the only reason to live is to do nothing but work until you die.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Career Officer
# 24
04-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Everyone has their personal favorite time wasters.

When I graduated HS, my dad thought I was foolish for using some of my grad money to buy a Super NES. Even though he was really into watching WWF and was almost late to his wedding to my mom because he was watching TV...

Pretty much every generation looks down on the one behind for being into "childish" things even though they themselves are into things their parents' generation would consider childish.

Porthos is not amused.
Lieutenant
# 25
04-30-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think that many people, older at least, know how into video games I am at the moment. But for the last 5-10 years I have always had something around as a distraction. Whether it was my old PlayStation and hour upon hour of GT2, or my roommate in grad school (this was in 07) who bought an N64 to play GoldenEye (which I played hour upon hour on to do the storyline mission) to whatever random game I had for my PC to play at the time. And the hours spent playing Civ III that I bought off the bargin bin at Target.

Now what people of all ages find odd is that I am also a collector of retro hardware and software. When I tell people that I have an Atari 2600 and currently have ~90 carts they look at me kinda funny.
Lieutenant
# 26
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
An answer to older people and video games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1zDBW_UAw
Ha, thanks for the advice guys.

I hope that this will become my future.
Rihannsu
# 27
04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
But if it comes to a choice of playing a video game or sitting in front of the television getting drunk while yelling at a football player, I'll choose the former, with getting drunk while doing so as an option.
I'll sit in front of my computer while listening to music, watching the football game, getting drunk and yelling at my monitor because some idiot screwed up the stf.
"If you didn't want to get yelled at by a bunch of crazy nerds you shouldn't have posted on the forums"
"Bacon tastes so much better marinated in vegan tears"
Better dead then Fed!
Career Officer
# 28
04-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
I'll sit in front of my computer while listening to music, watching the football game, getting drunk and yelling at my monitor because some idiot screwed up the stf.
Who says men can't multitask?

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 29
04-30-2013, 06:04 PM
My wife thinks its kinda a waste of time. And is like why you game. I tell her is fun, and I relax. Plus its not like I'm going out with "the guys" to play some game at night. Where you can rack up some serious $ each week. Like bowling, tennis, golf, etc. So its a cheap alternative, and you won't have to worry about me running around.

I make sure when I do play it don't interfere with our lives as well. So I mainly play when she is sleeping in on weekends, or if I'm off work and she isn't, or when she is watching a TV show I don't care to watch. So it shows I'm not addicted to it. As she don't see playing on it all the time. And not doing things for family or work.
Rihannsu
# 30
04-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Who says men can't multitask?
That's just an average day. There are times I will be reading a book and surfing the net in addition to what I mentioned.
"If you didn't want to get yelled at by a bunch of crazy nerds you shouldn't have posted on the forums"
"Bacon tastes so much better marinated in vegan tears"
Better dead then Fed!