Captain
# 11
05-01-2013, 02:22 PM
I blame it on game mechanics and the nerf's that have been suffered.

Game was a lot more fun and interesting when a B'rel Retrofit outfitted with all torpedos could solo a cube on CSE and act as science support, pinning down BOP's with abilities that actually worked. Think that was over a year ago, the game was in a much better state. When lockbox ships like the Galor were just starting to appear.

Cryptic need to take a step back and look at all the nerf's they have imposed and see where they went wrong. I think it started somewhere along the time when they nerfed Plasma Disruptor Hybrids for managing to break the lol's tanks. That's when it really went downhill.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Captain
# 12
05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
You sir had me smiling the entire time I read this. You are going to be a great story teller when you get old, sitting in a rocking chair and babbling on.
Already old (51). Already sitting in the rocking chair. And apparently already babbling on incessantly(see below). Thank you for the flowers, though lol.

Back on point. Another thread in these forums spoke of watching lvl 50 players getting blown out of the stars on the Defera Invasion mission while a team of well coordinated lvl 40 players sailed right thru and accomplished all assigned objectives. Hmmm...

This game is very gear centric at times. To the point where people assume if they have the right gear, they can accomplish anything. This seems to be rather muddied thinking. Prior to the Rep system, I decided what with Omega, MACO and KHG gear being so difficult to get at the time, I was not going to bother with it. Playing the Rep system for all it is worth and still not really interested in the above. I do have a lot of purple and Blue MK XII on my ships and Away Teams but nothing that is special. I have listened to generous advice from players more experienced than I and tried out their suggestions with the gear they prefer. Where it worked I kept it. Where I was less than enthused about the results, I recycled it. I have spent far too much EC and Dilithium trying out things which did not always work out for the best.

Along with ignoring the gear which everyone else seems so very hawt for, I have spent a lot of time observing how others play and have tried to work out a set of techniques which enable my modestly equipped toons to survive an ESTF as well as contribute to the success of the team. Mostly PUG but a few premade and some on the Chat channels. I have come to the following conclusions.

- Too many players spend just enough time playing the storyline to get to Lvl 50 and then expect to be expert in things they haven't spent enough time learning how to use against lower lvl opponents.

- A lot of people try to carry the team to achieve the Optional in any STF. This is their sole goal and when the team fails the Optional, the STF is "ruined" and further, "It's all THEIR fault! Waaaahhh!" Let the Optional remain just that - Optional. If we get it, great! If not we can always try again in about an hour or so.

- A lot of people simply mount the biggest weapons they can and then charge headlong straight into the mouth of the enemy's cannons. When this does not work, surprise, they go back and get bigger weapons.

- There is a very strong 'flavor of the week' element all throughout STO. This encourages people to try different ships and weapons, but does not encourage them to spend enough time with each to really understand their strengths and weaknesses.

- The only way to get really good with any ship or weapon type is to spend nearly all your time with it. I have been playing for just over one year now and I have one or two ships for each of my toons which are almost the only ones I fly with them. The Next Big Thing is really nice to have and a few of my ships are C-Store purchases. However, I find myself enjoying the game the most with the ships I fly the most.

I fully realize some of the ideas expressed above are heresy and blasphemy of the very highest order. There will be some who will call out the mob to attempt to take my head. Oh well. All I can say is been there, done that, got the Tee shirt. Still here. Still playing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-01-2013, 11:10 PM
wow I thought this thread of mine was dead already.
Career Officer
# 14
05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
It is indeed frustrating to PUG an ESTF some days. Well, lately, most days. I have seen people do things which are silly, pointless and downright abysmally ignorant.

To conclude: None of the Probes got through while I was away. And we got the Optional after all. More due to luck than design, but some days it is better to be lucky than good.
So it was a good experience for you after all. You were successful and you left with the feeling that you are a good player and did well.

Bad players keep the ESTFs exciting. Imagine how boring it were if everyone knew and followed the tactics perfectly. You would just repeat the same thing over and over again. There would not be a need for good players who are able to adapt to the situation. So PUGs are not all bad.

But i agree that it sometimes feels unfair that someone who obviously plays badly and does not care gets the same achievements as someone who practices a lot and tries to build a good ship.

I do not think that Cryptic is going to change anything though. If a player notices that he sucks he may buy a new ship. If he still sucks he will buy another one and some expensive gear. By the time he realizes that lack of skill cannot be mitigated by the best gear he has spent enough money to be profitable.

And there are more mediocre players than good players. So by keeping the game easy enough they can attract more players and thus make more profit. And this might even benefit the good players.

There have always been bad players in STFs obviously. But before the introduction of the rep system some people just didnt bother with STFs if they were too hard for them. Now there is an unfinished project in one of the main windows of the game and everyone will want to complete the reputation sometime. This may have been one reason for a new wave of bad players in STFs. And because they get their marks faster they go straight to the elites of course.

Last edited by nithanath; 05-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Captain
# 15
05-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaalom View Post
wow I thought this thread of mine was dead already.
we all enjoy flogging a dead horse once in a while.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Captain
# 16
05-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
1. Along with ignoring the gear which everyone else seems so very hawt for, I have spent a lot of time observing how others play and have tried to work out a set of techniques which enable my modestly equipped toons to survive an ESTF as well as contribute to the success of the team. Mostly PUG but a few premade and some on the Chat channels. I have come to the following conclusions.

2. - Too many players spend just enough time playing the storyline to get to Lvl 50 and then expect to be expert in things they haven't spent enough time learning how to use against lower lvl opponents.

3. - A lot of people try to carry the team to achieve the Optional in any STF. This is their sole goal and when the team fails the Optional, the STF is "ruined" and further, "It's all THEIR fault! Waaaahhh!" Let the Optional remain just that - Optional. If we get it, great! If not we can always try again in about an hour or so.

4. - A lot of people simply mount the biggest weapons they can and then charge headlong straight into the mouth of the enemy's cannons. When this does not work, surprise, they go back and get bigger weapons.

5. - There is a very strong 'flavor of the week' element all throughout STO. This encourages people to try different ships and weapons, but does not encourage them to spend enough time with each to really understand their strengths and weaknesses.

6. - The only way to get really good with any ship or weapon type is to spend nearly all your time with it. I have been playing for just over one year now and I have one or two ships for each of my toons which are almost the only ones I fly with them. The Next Big Thing is really nice to have and a few of my ships are C-Store purchases. However, I find myself enjoying the game the most with the ships I fly the most.

7. I fully realize some of the ideas expressed above are heresy and blasphemy of the very highest order. There will be some who will call out the mob to attempt to take my head. Oh well. All I can say is been there, done that, got the Tee shirt. Still here. Still playing.
1. Well, if you're so good in that stuff, then you'd be even better in that stuff. Min-maxing - to a degree.

2. I may have been among those people - but I don't remember. I do however know that I'm already playing like you in a way, by deliberately weakening myself. (specifically, flying a Defiant like in the shows and NOT how STO wants me to)

3. Well, when you're trying to get the accolade for all elite optionals... then I understand. After that stage, the optional's just extra marks, that's all.

4. Uhhhhh...

5. Well, I don't really have the resources for flavor of the week.

6. Same like you, except I'm like that because I can't get any more ships. Still, it's a good point.

7. No, no heresy or blasphemy or anything. Just valid statements which people may or may not agree with.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Captain
# 17
05-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Their are missions like Starbase 24 and Gorn Minefield Fleet Action as example that reward you for you outperforming other players and teaches you not to help teammates and I think that has effect on other missions because it is uncommon in public matches for teammates to help people in STF missions at least the Space ones.

Their has been many times I have drawn aggro and am in need of a little help and get none. Sometimes getting no help has turned out bad other times I have been able to survive without it. What I really hate is when I am suffering from plasma fire with low health and my hazard emitters is on cooldown along with other heals and I die with 1 or 2 seconds left before I am able to use hazard emitters again.

In space people just don't help people enough. On ground usually the teamwork is better because on ground it is harder without it.