Survivor of Romulus
I have two characters fully leveled (tier 5) in both Romulan and Omega reputation lines. My third character is tier 2 in both reputation lines, I tried but couldn't keep going with the same grind fest my other two went through.

While my 3rd Character isn't badly equipped I feel bad taking her into eSTFs due to the fact that she does not have access to fleet gear or Omega rep items. With LoR around the corner I will have a 4th Character, who again will not have access to the Reputation items.

This brings me to my point, why not change the items from Character to account based? This would stop them from being sold, but you would be able to equip your lesser played characters well. The advantage is, when you feel like doing an eSTF you won't be feeling bad as the weak link.

The passive skills in the Reputation lines are worth doing them alone, but at least you would not "feel" forced to do so. If I could give my alt a full set of M.A.C.O space gear along with a full set of ground gear, I would have no problem dropping in on an occasional stf, and slowly she would advance in tiers.

In the long run this would be beneficial because with more well equipped characters, a player might end up purchasing ships for the other characters on an account.

For example my hardly used character is a Sci VA, if I had the equipment to justify playing her actively in eSTFs I would considering buying the Vista ship pack, because it might be worth while. As it stands I only concentrate on my two main, and only bother equipping them with new ships / items.
Lieutenant
# 2
04-26-2013, 08:34 PM
I also have wished for many items to be account based rather than character.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
04-26-2013, 08:35 PM
It has my vote. But I want account rep system more I think. :S
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
04-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusk19 View Post
I would love that even more, but I doubt cryptic would go for it. I'm hoping this thread gets the notice of some of the Development team. With LoR around the corner I think this is more important then ever, especially because we are getting a NEW rep line (Tholian).
Captain
# 5
04-26-2013, 08:47 PM
This is a real problem that I'm not sure anybody at Cryptic has considered: The more effort you require to reach maximum potential, the further behind any new character is going to be. It's a huge disincentive to starting a new character when you know that you have a minimum wait time of months before that character can use the same features that your other characters already have access to.

If they were smart, they would be lowering the time and resource costs of bringing a character to peak performance as time goes by. That way new alts, and new players, don't feel like they are unalterably months behind everybody else.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
04-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Well that is exactly why I only play my 3rd character occasionally, and why I wouldn't bother getting her the Vista set, as it stands I have her running the Aegis set. Not worth buying a new ship for a character who is under-geared.

I have a job, I play STO for fun, not for work. 2 Reputation grinds was enough for me. I wouldn't mind taking my Romulan and Alt through the tiers, *IF* they had good gear, and could take my time....... like years, lol.
Career Officer
# 7
04-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusk19 View Post
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
04-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Well lets keep this thread rolling. I know a lot of my friends in-game who never use the forums all love the idea of being able to equip their Alt characters with Omega / Romulan items.

An account based system would be the best, but I feel Cryptic wants to maintain a "grind", my suggestion does not change the grind at all, only makes one more willing to play alt characters and then make a timely climb up the rep lines.
Career Officer
# 9
04-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I say make your marks pool account based. That way, you can run any toon you want in the STF or Rep event, and any of your toons can spend the points. Kinda the same thing, but might be easier to implement?
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Starfleet Veteran
# 10
04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Hmm just had another thought. Make it faction wide, Fed, KDF, Rom. So there would still be grinding content but it wouldn't hurt new toons. I mean.. I have 14 toons.. Rep on all of them just plain sucks. Im forced to pick 3 at the most and make them my mains. The Devs use to want us to make more toons, but now it just hurts to bad..