Lt. Commander
Right, this is beginning to irk me.

For whatever reason, I am having serious latency problem with Star Trek Online. Both tonight, and last night. Same time, same place, same symptoms. Massive rubber banding, massive delay in server response, disconnects, problems connecting to the server... The whole nine yards.

Somewhere between Eastern Australia, and the western United States, there is an issue. And I am apparently not the only one.

I was on line this morning (about 12 hours ago) and I didn't have a single issue. Tonight, just like it was last night, I'm dealing with a pile of lag where I'm lucky if I can log in, let alone walk down a corridor on Spacedock without getting time out errors.

What's going on?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Are there any other US east coast online games which we can test our network connection to.

I.E. if star trek online has 90% of the same route and 90% of the same distance from PC to server as game 'X' but game 'X' has no connection issues.

Would that suggest that the issue is with that 10% or Cryptic?

Do people think that the problem comes from the fact that STO uses a lot of comm ports? Not something that can be changed I'd say but could that be the root of the problem?

But your right about the problem coming and going. Sunday morning (Central European Time)... no problems ... All the way up to 13:30 CET I was doing pretty good. Just a few disconnects ... 20 seconds of server not responding ... nothing major. Then as the afternoon progressed the amount of lag increased ... the number of disconnects ... rubber banding etc etc.

I then had to log off for a few hours and when I went back to it at 22:00 CET I could not log in ... or rubber banding was SOOOOO bad that i got motion sickness!!!

The crazy thing is ... my TRACERT results from the morning/afternoon and then the evening were all the same!!!

Ditto for the nettest.

120ms ping and about 100kb/10/kb/100kb

So why the HUGE difference in playability?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2012, 04:08 AM
i also have this iissue. Any time after 6pm GMT is unplayable for me. Before then its smooth sailing.

I also live in south eastern Australia. to put things into perspective its just this time frame.

My ISP is optus if any aussies are interested
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Have you set the proxy in the launcher?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalSeaPower View Post
I don't think changing proxy settings will allay this problem as it appears to be a discongruity in playabilty (due to latency) at different times of the day.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalSeaPower View Post
in most of cases ping and tracerout mean nothing. they send packets of just 64 bytes, while games use a lot bandwith sometimes.

the more important thing is if there is any packet losts, even one can mkae game to wait few seconds for it to be resend, and thats is the moment you get server not responding, or your game start lag. also consider what is the load of network/internet at time you play. higher load, higher delay on data that is send betwen game and server.

thats is just explanation why you have same ping but quality of your game is different.
on the other hand, more players logged on server, the slower it will respond, and you can lag becouse of that.

you can try running ping with bigger packets: ping example.com -l size (65535 ie 64k)
and see response times then
or run it for 10-15 min: ping -t example.com
you can interupt it with ctrl+c, at en it gives statistic, packet send, packed recived and packet lost.
idealy first and second should be equal, and last should be zero.
if you have more then 5% packet lost, that may couse a huge lag.

you can try that 2 and post results here, may help to see whats the problem.

also be aware that if there is significant increase of response times on traceroute somewhere in middle of route, its more likely that its not in competence of your isp or cryptic, but some other isp that is in the middle way and in that case .. only solution is patience untill they get it fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I know back in December the EU proxy I had set for over a year got messed up and I got disconnects and couldn't connect so now I have none set. Wasn't sure if you had a proxy set or not. Read another post by a Dev saying about some ISP/sin the EU having problems which has caused issues for some. I see you are down under, wasn't sure if you changed the proxy to see if it made a difference.

I am not that much of a techie but there was that problem a year or two ago about some cable in the mediterranean which was effecting peoples connection. Might be some where between Australia and the servers where the issue lies.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega273
Are there any other US east coast online games which we can test our network connection to.

I.E. if star trek online has 90% of the same route and 90% of the same distance from PC to server as game 'X' but game 'X' has no connection issues.

Would that suggest that the issue is with that 10% or Cryptic?

Do people think that the problem comes from the fact that STO uses a lot of comm ports? Not something that can be changed I'd say but could that be the root of the problem?

But your right about the problem coming and going. Sunday morning (Central European Time)... no problems ... All the way up to 13:30 CET I was doing pretty good. Just a few disconnects ... 20 seconds of server not responding ... nothing major. Then as the afternoon progressed the amount of lag increased ... the number of disconnects ... rubber banding etc etc.

I then had to log off for a few hours and when I went back to it at 22:00 CET I could not log in ... or rubber banding was SOOOOO bad that i got motion sickness!!!

The crazy thing is ... my TRACERT results from the morning/afternoon and then the evening were all the same!!!

Ditto for the nettest.

120ms ping and about 100kb/10/kb/100kb

So why the HUGE difference in playability?
on the nettest you need to have values greater than 250 in columns 1 and 3 and greater than 13 to have lag and disconnects free if it is less then something is affecting the packets.