Career Officer
# 21
04-28-2013, 03:25 PM
I think that the present setup for Romulans is selling them short.

Feds and Klingons can join a fleet and get involved with things like Fleet Alert from LVL 5, not wait till LVL 10. So the ally concept is an interesting idea and maybe something to expand between some factions and not others, and maybe between same faction fleets.

As a get them going I do think the present setup for Romulans is great and does fit with the present setup Cryptic have established. Its maybe the best they could do, its a lot being done in a short space of time.

However it would be great to see a 'classic' Romulan Star Empire stretching forth there hand under the will of the Empress with Hirogen in place of Remans.

Perhaps when Romulan Starbases are added in the future and I beleive there is still a region of Romulan space not open yet that could be used. We may see a Star Empire rather than Republic for characters to play in. I think most players wanted a 'classic' Star Empire with the extra Republic being something else to add.

Perhaps Fed and Klingons should be limited to joining a fleet from lvl 10 to level the playing field in that regard.
Captain
# 22
04-28-2013, 03:51 PM
I see the Romulan Star Empire as I see the True Way and Borg Collective. Every MMO needs enemies to fight and making them into playable factions degrades their main purpose. Endgame content seems to currently consist of cooperation with friendly rivalry for PvP. So all future playable factions will be based on does it makes sense for them to join up with other players from different factions to do an STF.

I just don't see the Romulan Star Empire joining up with people from the Romulan Republic, the Federation, and the Klingon Empire to defeat the Borg attacking a Federation Starbase, but I can see Borg from the Borg Cooperative, Hugh's group, Unimatrix Zero, or whatever plan they have for a playable Borg faction doing that.
Rihannsu
# 23
04-28-2013, 03:54 PM
I like the idea that its an option you can purchase-
because its clear from podcasts and interviews the Romulan Republic is what the devs intend and its staying.

Its harsh to accept as hardcore Romulan fan-but all the debate on here has led me to see that is not a horrible take on the Romulans after st2009 -They were given a mess to clean up and they made the effort.

My captain/commander will be willing to shift allegiances if the Empire returned -not just the Tal Shiar.
Republic Veteran
# 24
04-28-2013, 04:00 PM
The forums should get their own faction a Telelite only faction

Rihannsu
# 25
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Unlikely, those defectors would need countless things the other factions have as well.

Main social hub (Q'onos, Spacedock, Flotilla), uniforms, gear, etc.

All for a side-faction of a few picky players?
Career Officer
# 26
04-28-2013, 07:42 PM
I personally would have liked to have seen the choice between D'Tan and Sela tied to the choice between Fed and KDF. Fed allied with D'Tan obviously, KDF with Sela. It would've played nicely into the whole Fed/KDF war and given it a reason to continue to exist. It may or may not have required completely separate episodes. The KDF has proven how you can take a mission for one faction, make minor text changes, and presto! A mission for the other faction (...). Anyway, the option to play sneaky, xenophobic Romulans would have been nice.
Republic Veteran
# 27
04-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
I personally would have liked to have seen the choice between D'Tan and Sela tied to the choice between Fed and KDF. Fed allied with D'Tan obviously, KDF with Sela. It would've played nicely into the whole Fed/KDF war and given it a reason to continue to exist. It may or may not have required completely separate episodes. The KDF has proven how you can take a mission for one faction, make minor text changes, and presto! A mission for the other faction (...). Anyway, the option to play sneaky, xenophobic Romulans would have been nice.

No honorable Klingon would ally with Sela after she helped in the civil war.

Republic Veteran
# 28
04-28-2013, 10:16 PM
There'll be plenty of Romulan Star Empire and Tal Shiar content. In the foundry! It'll be epic stuff I'm sure.
Great News!

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Commander
# 29
04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
No honorable Klingon would ally with Sela after she helped in the civil war.
Well I guess that throws j'mpok and the duras house off the honorable klingon list since they have had dealings with sela and the rse
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
I was reading info on the sto site over this awhile back, when they first announced the Romulan republic. If I could remember where I read it, I would post the link. The head dev did not say outright this was going to happen, but I got the impression that this Romulan republic is temporary. To be clear it was an impression not said, and nothing to quote from.