Career Officer
# 21
04-30-2013, 08:29 AM
This sounds like the rival system in Pokemon, whereupon I usually wind up naming mine something obscene and laughing my way through the entire game.

"******* challenges you to a battle!"

"You defeated *******! Got $1500!"
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
04-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
This sounds like the rival system in Pokemon, whereupon I usually wind up naming mine something obscene and laughing my way through the entire game.

"******* challenges you to a battle!"

"You defeated *******! Got $1500!"
http://www.vgcats.com/super/images/080428.gif
Captain
# 23
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd be all for having the Nemesis system in STO.

Couple of things though. Firstly, the level of harassment would need toned down a little; I once made the mistake of making my Nemesis a low priority while I got on with some other stuff, and ended up getting jumped by goons every time I turned around (they really don't like being ignored). Secondly, as noted by others, there would really need to be stories that make sense for each type of Nemesis it possible to have.

We could also do with more generic NPC ships (and some customisation of those ships), so that a Nemesis that did not belong to one of the major powers could be made appropriately distinctive.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Captain
# 24
04-30-2013, 09:31 AM
This is a must have would love to see my KDF appear against my Fed captain and have them go toe to toe ina no hold barred space fight.brains meet brawn
NO TO ARC
Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
Commander
# 25
04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
...Secondly, as noted by others, there would really need to be stories that make sense for each type of Nemesis it possible to have.
Indeed, and sign me up for seeing mirror counterpart nemeses also. I wouldn't mind even seeing an entire feature series based around meeting and overcoming your mirror counterpart. A nemesis system would have to be much, much more story-focused than previous storyline or random-gen missions would have to be, though.

And, Kirk's nemesis was "bridge". The nemesis of Janeway and Archer both was Brannon Braga.
Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
Captain
# 26
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
It works ok in Champions. Yes the stories are generic, but there is something really enjoyable about seeing YOUR nemesis show up. Yes the dialog is canned, and after a while you've seen them all.

But you get to pick their abilities and minions, and you create their look with the character creator.

The fights are fun, and the nemesis shows up in several big missions at key points.

It's personal, and it's different and I'd really love to see it here.
Community Moderator
# 27
04-30-2013, 02:29 PM
You can kinda sorta already do your 'nemesis' in the Foundry, but I don't think it would be a terribly satisfying experience (you already know what's going to happen).

You could commission somebody else to make a nemesis mission for you in the Foundry, but mission slots are limited and this probably wouldn't be sustainable either.

So, yeah, I think it's a great idea that's been expressed before. Keep bringing it up every so often and maybe Cryptic will eventually get around to it.

I imagine that the parameters would have to be a bit more defined for STO, though.

1. Pick your Nemesis group (one of 12, per faction).

Feds/Fed Ally: Klingon, Orion Syndicate, Nausicaan Pirate, Tal Shiar, Hirogen, Dominion, Undine, Terran Empire, True Way, Maquis, Breen, Tholian

KDF/KDF Ally: Starfleet, Rival Klingon, Gorn Separatists, Nausicaan Pirate, Tal Shiar, Hirogen, Dominion, Undine, True Way, Fek'ihri, Breen, Tholian

Left Borg off the lists because, let's face it, most of them have no personality to speak of and don't hold grudges. Some of the enemy groups would be common to both sides.

2. Design Nemesis leader, leader's ship

You'd have to choose your options based on those available for that enemy group. Some races wouldn't be customizable (Breen, Tholian). You would not be able to set the name or appearance of any NPC or ship other than that of the leader. All "minions" would conform to the normal spawns of that group.

You could share your Nemesis designs with other players, so they could have the same Nemesis.

3. Nemesis appearance would be tied to missions where that enemy group might appear. Would require rework for some encounters to make possible.

I would envision it as an optional "pop up" encounter that happens at the end of certain missions where the nemesis appears to taunt the player and gives the player a chance to leave (beam out/warp out) or fight.

4. A set of generic Nemesis missions that would be tailored to that enemy group (though most of them would probably be quite similar) and available to run at level 40-ish and above.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 04-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Career Officer
# 28
04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
if i could design my own villain? probably some sneaky two face word user thats equally as sharp as a knife in the back, more ruthless then you find romulan politics and the tal-shiar. highly devious and very cruel, trying to unravel one lie from a ball of them with the odd bit of truth caught up in that. the villain would be very attractive woman in her 20's using her charm and looks to her advantage over anyone, but her real identity is not known.

can think of it now, would be fun!
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Survivor of Remus
# 29
04-30-2013, 10:35 PM
I think this is actually a really good idea, and could expand the game in a number of ways.

The devs could add a "nemesis encounter" spot into future storyline content, have them randomly pop up during exploration missions, etc.
Career Officer
# 30
04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I imagine that the parameters would have to be a bit more defined for STO, though.

1. Pick your Nemesis group (one of 12, per faction)...
Throw in Section 31 / Klingon Intelligence and you have yourself a deal.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics