Empire Veteran
# 71
05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Most humanoids in the galaxy were seeded by one group of ancient aliens and so must have male/female parts.
But not always in the same location or quantity.
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Career Officer
# 72
05-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Most humanoids in the galaxy were seeded by one group of ancient aliens and so must have male/female parts.
True but over millions of years of evolution on vastly different planets whose to say how the parts match up. In seahorses the female implants the male with the eggs and he carries them to term and gives birth to the offspring. Or maybe Gorn implant a host with an embryo that grows to maturity inside it's host. Maybe Gorn boobs aren't mammary glands at all but have a completely different function not related to reproduction. Maybe they're venom sacs or scent sacs that spray a toxic venom or foul scent as a defensive mechanism. Maybe they spray pheromones that warm blooded creatures find intoxicating and makes them easy prey.

Anything's possible.
Career Officer
# 73
05-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
True but over millions of years of evolution on vastly different planets whose to say how the parts match up. In seahorses the female implants the male with the eggs and he carries them to term and gives birth to the offspring. Or maybe Gorn implant a host with an embryo that grows to maturity inside it's host. Maybe Gorn boobs aren't mammary glands at all but have a completely different function not related to reproduction. Maybe they're venom sacs or scent sacs that spray a toxic venom or foul scent as a defensive mechanism. Maybe they spray pheromones that warm blooded creatures find intoxicating and makes them easy prey.

Anything's possible.
The great thing about the Gorn is that sense they've been so poorly developed in canon they're almost a blank slate, so Cryptic has tremendous freedom to whatever they want with them. I have my own theories, mostly supported by soft canon (see link in sig) but who's to say what they're really like.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Survivor of Romulus
# 74
05-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Hardly "most"

The preservers took existing species in danger of dying out and "preserved" them

and actually many trek races are completely incompatable

The "everyone is hybrid" problem of later trek was the result of a desperate need for a new spock

half human half klingon
Half vulcan half romulan (or as we say a vulcan)
Half human half betazoid
Half cardassian half bajoran
half borg half budgie etc
Captain
# 75
05-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Hardly "most"

The preservers took existing species in danger of dying out and "preserved" them

and actually many trek races are completely incompatable

The "everyone is hybrid" problem of later trek was the result of a desperate need for a new spock

half human half klingon
Half vulcan half romulan (or as we say a vulcan)
Half human half betazoid
Half cardassian half bajoran
half borg half budgie etc
First off, it was a joke. See the laughy-smile there? That means it was meant to be funny, not serious.

Second, we don't know much of anything about the 150+ species which comprise the Federation, let alone all the other empires - let alone space that hasn't been explored yet. Suffice it to say that most of the species we've seen have been humanoid.

And finally, I wasn't referring to the "Preservers." I was referring to the ancient humanoids from "The Chase" episode of TNG, who seeded their DNA throughout the galaxy - which is why most aliens appear as humanoid - and was Trek's canon explanation for why all aliens are just humans in masks.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 76
05-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
The great thing about the Gorn is that sense they've been so poorly developed in canon they're almost a blank slate, so Cryptic has tremendous freedom to whatever they want with them. I have my own theories, mostly supported by soft canon (see link in sig) but who's to say what they're really like.
As long as CBS gives them permission to be creative. Unfortunately they can be a big pain in the seat cushion.
Survivor of Romulus
# 77
05-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Medusans
Edoans
etc
horta for that matter
plenty of non humanoid aliens in the federation
Captain
# 78
05-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Medusans
Edoans
etc
horta for that matter
plenty of non humanoid aliens in the federation
You do understand the concept of "most," right? Most doesn't mean "all." It simply means some value more than half. Having 75 of X and 25 of Y means that the X group is most of the whole.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 79
05-02-2013, 06:50 AM
I put little to no faith in the claims of any "advanced" race to be Gods or creators or spreaders of life
its almost always a scam
Career Officer
# 80
05-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
I put little to no faith in the claims of any "advanced" race to be Gods or creators or spreaders of life
its almost always a scam
Holy Facepalm

Stop ruining threads, Solivax.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics