Career Officer
The Romulan Neutral Zone is meant as a hard, inviolate 'line in the sand' that crossing could mean the start of open war between the Federation and ruling Romulan government (in STO that would be Sela and her forces), though in this time of crisis after the Hobus incident, Federation vessels crossing the Zone into Romulan space on humanitarian purposes are given free passage (which includes every player ship).

This means in STO the Neutral Zone is essentially non-existent, and as such, sadly, loses a huge part of the flavor of the dynamics between the Romulans and Federation. And that's a shame. I would like to make a simple suggestion to add in the flavor of 'fear', or at least acknowledgement, that even the mentioning of getting close to the Zone as we see in Star Trek episodes or movies becomes a cause for concern for Federation crews.

I believe the dev team should institute a dialog pop up box to underscore the continued danger of the Zone everytime it is crossed from the Federation side, having a Romulan officer shown stating something like, "Foreign vessel, we detect your presence in the Neutral Zone, do you have authorized business in Romulan space?" With a Yes/No answer. A Yes answer allows you to go on your way; a No answer throws you immediately into one of the Romulan 'enemy contact' encounters.

This 'border challenge' dialog box should have the option to be turned off (because it could become annoying to some people), but even so, the fact that it is there at least puts it into peoples minds that crossing into Romulan space, even in this new era of 'aiding/assisting' is not something to be taken lightly.

(and of course, with the Romulan faction coming soon.....it would be nice if the Federation enforced the border against unauthorized Romulan ships as well using the same set up....)
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371
Captain
# 2
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Through most of the story there is no Neutral Zone. The Feds have been invited into the Romulan territories by the RSE. The Feds are there to study what happened at Hobus and to give humanitarian aid to colony worlds. Effectively the Neutral Zone has been erased.

By the time you get to level 50 that goodwill has gone a bit sour with the Romulan Republic aid but they can't really establish a firm Neutral Zone because that would screw up lower players who are a different point in "history" than your character.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 3
05-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Neutral Zone? What's a Neutral Zone? You mean that thing I barrel straight through on my way to go do donuts around Qo'nos?
Commander
# 4
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Yup, same space I go through to release warp plasma around wolf 359.. yeah I fart on your tribute to the lost. lol
Lieutenant
# 5
05-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Through most of the story there is no Neutral Zone. The Feds have been invited into the Romulan territories by the RSE. The Feds are there to study what happened at Hobus and to give humanitarian aid to colony worlds. Effectively the Neutral Zone has been erased.

By the time you get to level 50 that goodwill has gone a bit sour with the Romulan Republic aid but they can't really establish a firm Neutral Zone because that would screw up lower players who are a different point in "history" than your character.

The RSE invited the UFP into their territory? I had no idea.
I just assumed that the treaty of algeron was void because of the fact that the RSE is basically non-existant at this point.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our people are warriors. Often savage. But we are also many other pleasant things.
-- Commander Di'on Charvon to Spock - 2268
Actual join date: October 2010
Captain
# 6
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitynexus View Post
The RSE invited the UFP into their territory? I had no idea.
I just assumed that the treaty of algeron was void because of the fact that the RSE is basically non-existant at this point.
The Path to 2409 is clear that the Federation recognizes the new governing body of the RSE and still considers the Treaty of Algeron to be in place.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lieutenant
# 7
05-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I see, you're explination made more sense anyway.
Thank you for correcting me.
Our people are warriors. Often savage. But we are also many other pleasant things.
-- Commander Di'on Charvon to Spock - 2268
Actual join date: October 2010
Captain
# 8
05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by urniv821 View Post
Yup, same space I go through to release warp plasma around wolf 359.. yeah I fart on your tribute to the lost. lol
What I don't understand about Wolf 359 is that feds were meant to have lost 40 (39?) Starships..... why are there about 200 in there? I think that isn't a tribute to the lost, more a warning light to stop Feds crashing and adding to the spacejunk. Think I've gone off topic here... ah well.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Rihannsu
# 9
05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
The Path to 2409 is clear that the Federation recognizes the new governing body of the RSE and still considers the Treaty of Algeron to be in place.
the Treaty of Algeron is not the neutral zone treaty, it's the no-cloaking treaty signed after the Tomed Incident.
Lieutenant
# 10
05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Quote:
STO Wiki:

The Path to 2409: Volume 16, Chapter 2

After the revelation that Starfleet was testing a cloaking device, tensions between the Federation, Romulans and Klingons were at their highest point since the destruction of the Romulan homeworld in 2387. After a full inquiry, six members of Starfleet Security were court-martialed.

It took three months for Federation President Aennik Okeg to convince the Romulans and the Klingons to send representatives to a summit to discuss the situation. When the meeting finally began, Okeg made the Federation's position clear. He apologized for the experiments into cloaking technology, and said that he had signed an executive order banning all research into or creation of Federation cloaking technology.

"The narrow legal view may be that the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed," Okeg said. "The Romulan Star Empire we knew is gone, and you are a new people. What has not changed is the Federation's commitment to peace."
Quote:
Memory Alpha:

In 2311 the Neutral Zone was reinforced and redefined in the Treaty of Algeron. Deanna Troi recalled this fact when she discussed the Pegasus Incident with Commander Riker. (ENT: "These Are the Voyages..."; TNG: "The Pegasus")
In STO it seems the Romulan Neutral Zone does not officially exist, and the Treaty of Algeron is gone.