Commander
Pretty much what the subject says; is the Sci Skill Mask Energy Signature useful? If yes, what's the most efficient way to use it? If not, what are the reasons?

ETA: See this post for qualification

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester

Last edited by malakhglitch; 04-29-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added link
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Depends on what you want to use it FOR ...

There are some things you can do with Mask Energy Signature that can give you an advantage ... and then there are other things where it is more of a hindrance than a help. Whether or not MES is "right" for you and your playstyle depends in very large part on whether or not you're playing primarily PvE or PvP (because the implications of using the skill changes depending on the intended opposition), what kind of ship you're flying (not just Tac/Eng/Sci but also Starfleet vs KDF), which then determines how many Bridge Officer Stations you have available for taking MES (at all) ... and on and on and on and on. The interleaving and interlocking connections between a whole host of OTHER decisions will determine if MES will (or can be) useful to you, or not.

Your original question, raised in a vacuum, could just as easily be written as ... "Is the number 3 useful? If yes, what's the most efficient way to use the number 3? If not, what are the reasons?"

To which the simplest answer is ... whether or not the number 3 is useful to you or not, depends on whether you need to do any math involving the number 3. If you don't need the number 3 for what you're going to be doing, then no ... it's not useful to you.
Commander
# 3
04-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Ah! All right, I shall qualify.

I was planning ahead for Legacy of Romulus (am currently playing one on Tribble) and I was thinking of whether MES would be good when used in a Warbird. This will primarily be for PvE and I am planning on being Starfleet-aligned

Rihannsu
# 4
04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Well, think of it like this:

Mask Energy Signature gives you a stealth bonus. It can be a sizeable one too. It's a poor man's cloaking device, effectively. One could ask why you'd even bother with it on a warbird that has such a better cloak. That's true overall, except for one point: Mask Energy Signature doesn't share the cloaking devices cooldown.

What this means is that you can use MES first, close in on target, disengage it while getting your ambushing damage bonus, lay it on the enemy, and then escaping by immediately cloaking.

Usually, even with a battlecloak, you'd need to wait 15 seconds before being able to do that. But in this case, you can fade away at will.
Commander
# 5
04-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaeko View Post
What this means is that you can use MES first, close in on target, disengage it while getting your ambushing damage bonus, lay it on the enemy, and then escaping by immediately cloaking.

Usually, even with a battlecloak, you'd need to wait 15 seconds before being able to do that. But in this case, you can fade away at will.
Yes! That is what I was thinking! Is this tactic being used in the KDF?

Last edited by malakhglitch; 04-29-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: ETA
Career Officer
# 6
04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
It is a useful skill, but depending on what level you are looking at, and what ship you are trying to put it on, there are other skills out there that may or may not be more beneficial.

I don't rank it as the best skill out there by any means, but it's hardly the worse. If I'm limited on science BOff slots, which is generally the case, I can safely ignore it, without any regret, but if I, for whatever reason, don't know what other sci skill I want, well, its in the running.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaeko View Post
Well, think of it like this:

Mask Energy Signature gives you a stealth bonus. It can be a sizeable one too. It's a poor man's cloaking device, effectively. One could ask why you'd even bother with it on a warbird that has such a better cloak. That's true overall, except for one point: Mask Energy Signature doesn't share the cloaking devices cooldown.

Ah, when I tested before the last patch, coming out of MES did NOT give the damage bonus (if you look at the description for the Battle Cloak, that explicitly says that it gives the damage bonus, and I assume your racial trait boosts the Battle Cloak's bonus, not grants a separate, stacking one).

That being said, your tactic should work. Another advantage MES has over the Battle Cloak is that it lets you retain your shields. In a truly hairy fight (especially when you've got allies to keep the enemy in combat for you) you can use Battle Cloak, get out of combat, then switch to MES so you can get your shields back before jumping back in. You'll lose the damage bonus, but you'll be sturdier when you rejoin the fight.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Mask Energy Signature offers a DEFENSE bonus when dropped, while Battle Cloak offers an OFFENSE bonus when dropped. The duration of the bonus is approximately the same, although they obviously have different applications.

Mask Energy Signature suppresses your Power levels in Weapons, Shields and Engines (so as to *mask* the energy *signature* of your ship), but it doesn't do the same thing as Battle Cloak, which outright DROPS SHIELDS. I also believe, although I haven't tested it (extensively) that you can still use a lot of your Boff skills while under MES (things like heals and resistance buffs) that you can't use under Battle Cloak, so there's that to consider as well. And as already mentioned, MES operates on a different System than Battle Cloak, so you aren't dealing with a Shared Cooldown situation.

It takes a bit of cleverness (and juggling) to be able to make MES a useful and viable tactic to use ... but even Klingons mention fairly regularly that having a copy of MES on a Science Boff comes in handy for hit-and-run tactics where you initiate combat under MES and have Battle Cloak ready to hand for a very quick disengage and escape maneuver. Whether or not that's a skillset you (as a player) want to learn to use ... well ... that's up to you now, isn't it?
Captain
# 9
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Can you use MSE while in combat or only out of combat?
Commander
# 10
04-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Can you use MSE while in combat or only out of combat?
out of combat.. if i remember correctly