Career Officer
# 11
04-30-2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
From the patch notes on April 29, 2013:

Please undo this change, or better yet, allow us to toggle between resistance ratings and resistance percentages. Displaying only resistance ratings obscures how resistances work in this game: it gives the false impression that resistances stack linearly.

This change is baffling.

Why would they do this?

The only thing I can think of is that they are tired of hearing about "diminishing returns" in armor console/cruiser conversations.

Career Officer
# 12
04-30-2013, 06:16 AM
i would like to have a small stats window in the hud where i can see the more interessting values like actual turnrate, actual max shield capacity, actual shield resist and so on basically so that i have them while flying without haveing to open the big stats window cause i cant fly then very good
Captain
# 13
04-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
The only thing I can think of is that they are tired of hearing about "diminishing returns" in armor console/cruiser conversations.
Even if that were the case, this change isn't going to stop that.
Captain
# 14
04-30-2013, 06:37 AM
As much as I think Cryptic doesn't like when players know the math and stuff...I do not see conspiracy here. Because really, that would be pretty bad one.
Career Officer
# 15
04-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Even if that were the case, this change isn't going to stop that.

Stop the few of us who actually know how it works, no.

Stop the general population from knowing what the difference between a Resistance score of 80 vs. 160 is, will certainly put a dent in the frequency of those types of discussions.

Career Officer
# 16
04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
As much as I think Cryptic doesn't like when players know the math and stuff...I do not see conspiracy here. Because really, that would be pretty bad one.
I don't see a reason given either.

Which leaves us to speculate, that they do not want us to see a percentage for some undisclosed reason.

Captain
# 17
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Truth is, instead changing something that does work, they should fix the GUI so it shows regen values for all shields, not only half of them. That is typical example of wasted dev time, for something that does save no purpose, instead fixing something.
Captain
# 18
04-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Stop the few of us who actually know how it works, no.

Stop the general population from knowing what the difference between a Resistance score of 80 vs. 160 is, will certainly put a dent in the frequency of those types of discussions.
On the other hand, it may very well spawn an even greater number of "why am I still taking damage when I have a resist of over 100?" conversations from those who don't know the difference between rating and percentage.
Career Officer
# 19
04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
On the other hand, it may very well spawn an even greater number of "why am I still taking damage when I have a resist of over 100?" conversations from those who don't know the difference between rating and percentage.
Hah.

Looking forward to that, good call.

Cryptic Studios Team
# 20
04-30-2013, 11:01 AM
This change appears to have been the result of an internal miscommunication, and will eventually either be reverted, or altered to be more informative. In either case, your actual Resistance will again be visible.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...