Commander
# 1 refracting weapons feedback
04-30-2013, 02:39 AM
The idea is cool, but in practice, the 2.5% proc rate on the rep store weapons makes them kinda bleh, especially considering the damage to hit the 2nd target is so weak, however base damage the turrets output 105.9 at the mk XII level but have a chance to proc 158.7 damage to a 2nd target. That just seems... weird.

Maybe if the proc rate to hit a 2nd target was 10-20% id find the weapons worth using, but overall ive never been a fan of tetryon weapons, and these don't really entice me to use them.
Career Officer
# 2
04-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Yeah, at regular proc rate it's incredibly unimpressive, as it's only useful against large groups of enemies, and they'll usually be AoE'd down from regular damage before the proc does anything of note. And the range of the chain is crappy too. If the dual beam bank set item that always refracts was just a regular beam array it might be worth using, but even a full suite of 8 always refracting tetryon beams doesn't seem that great over romulan plasma with the amazing synergy of its double procs.

Perhaps let the chain hit allow damage on your main target at reduced damage if there are no other valid bounce targets in range? Or significantly increase the seek range on the bounce.
Captain
# 3
04-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Once again a proc that benefits cannons and only cannons. Imagine CRF and CSV with refracting tetryon cannons and turrets. Your dps will be multiplied by a fair margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.
Captain
# 4
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
Once again a proc that benefits cannons and only cannons. Imagine CRF and CSV with refracting tetryon cannons and turrets. Your dps will be multiplied by a fair margin.
And it won't be on a FAW boat?
Captain
# 5
04-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Procs as a whole benefit cannons more than beams.
I can't think of a single proc that doesn't benefit cannons more than beams.
Captain
# 6
04-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor63549 View Post
I can't think of a single proc that doesn't benefit cannons more than beams.
I can't think of any mechanics that benefits beams
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
I can't think of any mechanics that benefits beams
Target Subsytems attacks? Oh, wait. We know how effective those are, especially the Sciboat/Carrier versions.
Captain
# 8
04-30-2013, 07:29 AM
I mean mechanics, like proc rates, per hit benefits, weapon energy drain, fire cycles etc, not abilities. And I can assure you that if cannons were given subsystem targetting, most people would not bother with beam weapon for it :p
Empire Veteran
# 9
04-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor63549 View Post
Why? Proc chance is per firing cycle - each beam cycle has the same chance as a cannon cycle. It is not based on pulses (shots).

Now, if you want to argue that cannons benefit more because they can put more damage on the target while the proc is active, that is another issue.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 10
04-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius View Post
Why? Proc chance is per firing cycle - each beam cycle has the same chance as a cannon cycle. It is not based on pulses (shots).
Yeah? Beams have a 5 seconds firing cycle, cannons have 4 seconds. Cannons = more procs.