Career Officer
# 11
04-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I see absolutely no reason to use the basic refracting tetryon. you do less damage compared to advanced fleet, and 2.5% is not very great at all.

Now, the hyper refracting i do like since it always has the proc, and though it's still not a great ability, add in the console and you get bonus points to shield drain and +7.6% tetryon damage.

but the basic refracting weapons really don't seem worth it compared to fleet.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Overjoyed that the Hyper Dual Beam Bank has [Accx2]. Awesomeness, especially since the console also boosts beam accuracy. That'll definitely be on the to get list.

As to the standard refracting tets, eg dual heavies. I was quite excited with them at first, but after some quick rough math I dont think theyll be worth the enormous asking price for MkXII. A 2.5% chance to proc, and inflict inconsequential damage to an enemy if its within a tiny range.

If the range was larger, damage was larger, proc chance was higher then maybe. But 28k Dil per weapon, as well as losing two (admittedly also rubbish) DMG procs. Shelling out an extra 18k per weapon on four DHC's which could be converted into zen doesnt appeal.

It would be about right, I think, if it was guaranteed to refract and hit anything in 10km. Or maybe 25%, and if theres nothing else in range it does extra damage to the original target.
Career Officer
# 13
05-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Yeah? Beams have a 5 seconds firing cycle, cannons have 4 seconds. Cannons = more procs.
Actually, the cannons have a 2-3 second fire cycle.
Captain
# 14
05-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Finally got a chance to play around with them.

As far as standard reputation weapons go, they're a little underwhelming. The sets are pretty interesting though. Combining the refracting beam ability from the shield set with Isometric Charge has some pretty amusing consequences.. when compounded with Scatter Volley and Fire At Will, you can clear a swarm in a real hurry. I haven't properly tested it against Tholians yet, but I imagine it should prove quite effective. The Stasis mines are an interesting alternative to tractor mines/beams as well. I'm curious how well they perform in Cure Space.

Tetyron weapons are a little quirky with their nuances(and I think a lot of people underestimate their potential), but after having tested them out.. I am actually rather excited to integrate them into some of my Holodeck builds.
Lieutenant
# 15
05-01-2013, 07:45 PM
It's tetryon people, it has problems already, what do you expect? The refraction is an interesting mechanic, but the damage is a bit weak. If it was boosted about 10%, and the proc chance left alone, it'd be viable. However I'd like to see CrtD CrtH variants instead of this Acc and Dmg trash. It's hard enough to miss as it is.
Captain
# 16
05-01-2013, 07:59 PM
lol @ acc being "trash".

This place never ceases to entertain.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
Republic Veteran
# 17
05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Over all I found the weapons useful when paired with the Nakura space set. Without the set and just a console wasn't very impressed. I did have a slightly easier time vrs. Tholians with them though.
Career Officer
# 18
05-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I tried it and wasn't impressed with the weapons or the set. The refracted beams did little damage, but I could imagine gaining aggro of in certain situations could be benefital for Cruisers in a tanking role.

As for the set looks, the EVA suit is just a black paint job of existing EVA suits than something different.

The Ground Set Sword had no graphics, but it has an interesting ability that might be useful on Nukara.

The Space Set was the most disappointing since it's just rehash of the Jem'Hadar set graphics, except its gray than purple. Also, the Engine is using Borg Set Engines. Which was annoying since I couldn't turn it off so I could get rid of that set noise.

All in all, outside of the Elite Fighters and the Reputation buffs, there is nothing that interests me personally.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Ensign
# 19
06-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Right.

I will start this off by saying that I have always been a great fan of any chain mechanics.
In War*craft 3 I used to play orc race only because they had two heroes - one with chain heal, and one with chain lightning.

When I played wow, I stuck with shaman, because of chain lighting, and chain heal.

When I played Path of Exile, I would use double totem build with arc lightning skill.

Perhaps I have some kind of pathology that needs to be checked asap, but as you can tell, I can't live without chained damage.

Now i've been playing STO for around 2 years, maybe more, and invested somewhere about 150-200$ on it (I have every single carrier this game has to offer), and I have been excited for many things Cryptic were to introduce.

However, I have never been as excited as seeing these refracting weapons. "Holy ****, is this a dream?", - I thought.

And so I started farming Nukara reputation, thinking how amazing it will be to have these amazing weapons in every slot, paired with fire at will. It would be amazing for tanking, wouldn't it?

In the process of farming reputation I found this thread, and saw all the criticism towards the weapon. "They all must have had unrealistic expectations for these weapons, surely they aren't this bad" - I thought, even though it is then that I found out the proc chance was 2,5%. But that's fair, all weapons have 2,5% proc rate, right?

So I kept on farming reputation until today, when I finally decided to buy it and test it out for myself.

So I bought the Refracting tetryon beam, slapped it on my ship and went to a random mission on elite difficulty, thinking mobs would live longer for testing purposes.

I have never been so disappointed in my entire gaming life. First proc came after 15 minutes of bashing a Slavemsater battleship. That's when I realized this weapon is a piece of **** and its proc sucks ****.

End of story.

Honestly, in order to make this weapon viable I see the following options:

a)Make proc rate at LEAST 25%, and keep the same damage.

b) Make proc rate 100%, and reduce damage it does to 25%.

c) Make proc rate 10% and make it chain to three targets.

"Bu-but that's unfair!" You might say. Yeah, nah. It is fair. Every single proc-based energy weapon in this game is based on ruining the day for your target. Phaser procs? Shields/weapons/engine gone. Ship is disabled for 5 seconds. Polaron procs? -100 energy total. Tetryon procs? That's free 1200 damage to your target.

When refracting weapons proc you do pathetic damage... to a RANDOM TARGET. Imaging any instance people currently do.

Let's look at Crystalline Entity. Your proc will most likely bounce to a shard and do 1 damage, that's a useless proc.

Let's say you are in STF. Your proc will most likely bounce to a generator that is immune to damage, that is a useless proc as well.

In PVP, a random bounce towards a random player will literally do no damage whatsoever, even if it bounces to a fighter it will do **** all.

The only way it can be useful if it procs and hits a heavy torpedo that is drifting your way, but in that case Thor clearly shines upon you and you should buy a lottery tricked instead of playing this game.

Dear Cryptic, please redesign this weapon or completely remove it, at its current state it is insulting and not worth it.

I do apologise for my spelling, not enough time to check it atm.

Last edited by fedred; 06-14-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Commander
# 20
06-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I think you guys have some pretty unrealistic expectations about what a modifier is worth. A CritH is a 2% chance to deal 50% (plus however much CritD you have) extra damage, the refracting "modifier" is a 2.5% chance to deal X% (I'm not sure how much the proc is for, you'd have to compare it to the base damage of the weapon and see how much consoles/weapon power/etc affect it) extra damage.