Ensign
# 1 High DPS 2 years ago vs today
02-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Hello all,

I haven't been able to play STO for about 2 years due to real life stuff. Before I left 10-15k DPS was considered very high DPS, with burst maybe reaching 20-30k if I remember correctly.

Now I am seeing threads here and reddit claiming 30-45k, even 75K DPS from ships. I realize the level cap went up, as did the mark and quality of the gear.

My question is as a player that did about 10-15k 2 years ago, would just leveling to max, and upgrading my gear to the latest mark translate into roughly those numbers? All things being equal of course.

Thanks.
Captain
# 2
02-06-2015, 07:40 AM
It's the combination of all the power creep stacking with each other; causing each further boost to balloon things exponentially each time.

Sure there have been a few weapons that really outclass their counterparts lately, but the real inflation is from all the traits, oddball item/set bonuses, and ease of power generation.
Career Officer
# 3
02-06-2015, 07:45 AM
To hit the absolute max, you would probably need one of the T6 ships with Intel BOFF powers unlocked; if only because of Override Subsystem Safeties. And probably 5 tac consoles (it's possible to get a single console with +37.5% damage boost now).

But yes, a lot of it is just power creep... traits, higher mark and rarity levels... power generation... as mentioned. There are new weapon and warp core mods that might help, more availability of boffs with space traits, and new rep/lobi/ship/fleet consoles.
Member of Special Operations Command (UFP)
and leader of House of Calafia (KDF)
and Foundry author (first mission published July 2014)

Last edited by westmetals; 02-06-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbeard1 View Post
Hello all,

I haven't been able to play STO for about 2 years due to real life stuff. Before I left 10-15k DPS was considered very high DPS, with burst maybe reaching 20-30k if I remember correctly.

Now I am seeing threads here and reddit claiming 30-45k, even 75K DPS from ships. I realize the level cap went up, as did the mark and quality of the gear.

My question is as a player that did about 10-15k 2 years ago, would just leveling to max, and upgrading my gear to the latest mark translate into roughly those numbers? All things being equal of course.

Thanks.
No, not quite. A lot of things happened that caused those numbers, too. It's a combination of lots of things. I don't have the whole list, but some are:

DEM with doff
Beams overcapping to absurd numbers
Beam FAW got a boost
Attack Pattern Beta is on lots of pets, and the debuff stacks
Reputation traits
Particle gens has started to reach very high amounts as well, causing lots of FBP and TBR to be used

There's a lot I'm missing, and some dedicated DPS grinder would be able to tell you more. A lot of it deals with padding, too, like shooting the gates when it's rather pointless because it's not going to drop in health, stuff like that.

The Mk xiv weapons and consoles are just added icing on the cake, really. People were doing 60-70k before DR anyway, now it's just easier to get those numbers without planning your whole team around it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2015, 07:56 AM
I see a 10ker and 2 who have never even parsed in here..

Pre Delta scores have been kept in the League

Pre Delta highest was 89k (lvl 50 mk 12 stuff)

Now its 180k
http://i.imgur.com/cDshlWy.jpg
Career Officer
# 6
02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwesson View Post
No, not quite. A lot of things happened that caused those numbers, too. It's a combination of lots of things. I don't have the whole list, but some are:

DEM with doff
Beams overcapping to absurd numbers
Beam FAW got a boost
Attack Pattern Beta is on lots of pets, and the debuff stacks
Reputation traits
Particle gens has started to reach very high amounts as well, causing lots of FBP and TBR to be used

There's a lot I'm missing, and some dedicated DPS grinder would be able to tell you more. A lot of it deals with padding, too, like shooting the gates when it's rather pointless because it's not going to drop in health, stuff like that.

The Mk xiv weapons and consoles are just added icing on the cake, really. People were doing 60-70k before DR anyway, now it's just easier to get those numbers without planning your whole team around it.
On top of that Mk XIV gear is not a linear progression of dmg like Mk I thru XII was.

It's much higher.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I say its the traits above all else.

9-10 personal traits, 4 Starship Mastery Traits, 4 Rep traits...

Thats 17-18 bonus stats, on top of everything else.

But the bump from mk XII to mk XIV does make a big difference too.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keravnios View Post

Now its 180k
I'm not even sure what relevance that comment was to the conversation at hand, nor why it was even said.

Good to know that it was 89k before tho. Either way, OP, if you want to chase DPS, follow these guys ideas. But if you just want to do the missions and not endure the DR grind, it's PvE...you probably have more than enough DPS to complete it with your current values.
Career Officer
# 9
02-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keravnios View Post

Now its 180k
Because not having parsed must mean that person has no idea what they are talking about because they don't even care about DPS and/or don't parse because they know they're nowhere near those numbers, right?

Wrong. I don't because a) I'm not tech-savvy enough to set it up properly, and b) I'm OCD enough that if I did know exactly what my DPS was, I know I'd be spending way too much (time, effort, EC, dilithium, Zen, etcetera...) trying to maximize things. I'd be shooting for a top-10 ranking and not be happy with that when I got there. And in the process, the game would no longer be a game.

I have my own methods of measuring myself which don't involve using the exact numbers (so that I can't compare to everyone else). On purpose.

But yes, I know - and put into practice - many of these things. Just yesterday I was advising a friend who does parse on their build... and just by switching out two consoles and their BOFF skills, we boosted their DPS by over 35%. And I've picked up 1st places in CCA - post-DR - with ships that I felt were unfinished (using non-ideal, blue mk XII weapons, etcetera).
Member of Special Operations Command (UFP)
and leader of House of Calafia (KDF)
and Foundry author (first mission published July 2014)

Last edited by westmetals; 02-06-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Ensign
# 10
02-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I never did my own parsing either, my fleet leader did during STFs.

The reason I made this thread is that my fleet leader seems to have quit while I was gone. Since I don't plan to run a parser I just wanted to see if my old setup and playstyle would be suited to the new "end game". There seems to be so much new stuff, its going to take awhile to get used to it.

I guess I will relearn the game, grind to max, and see what happens.