Hey has anyone had their PC die running this game?
my computer ran it fine for two days and then it stopped working altogether
so now it wont even turn on. is it even possible for a program to fry my system.
the fans and lights come on but nothing else.
Ouch, that dont sound good The game is known to cause overheating and from your response it sounds like it might have affected your PC I'd let it cool down a bit then try to restart it. I would suggest checking the CPU and GPU heatsinks but that can be a tricky process. Also check your fans, cleaning them if needed. Also clean any other debris located inside the PC casing.
I have a friend whose comp died from STO. It has an Athalon 3800+ and my original diagnosis was a fried proc. but after a little while it managed to turn on again and now dies when playing any game. The wierd part is, it's totally within acceptable perameters for CPU usage and temperatures on CPU and graphics card. I can't figure this out, but it's troublesome.
Anyway, yes the game runs hot and the devs have a temporary fix for it. go into the loader and in the options menu under advanced options enter the line "-perframesleep 10" and it'll cut the temp down by about 20% on average.
That's little consolation to you I know, but on the bright side it was really time for you to upgrade anyway. Check to see if your card is on a PCIe slot, if so pull the card and hard drive before you upgrade and transplant to save yourself some money.
In your box, on the motherboard, is a watch battery. This is called the CMOS battery. It's what saves your system settings, such as date and time, when your computer is unplugged.
Sometimes, when computers shut themselves down due to overheating(unless you're an advanced user able to shut off the safeties on your computer, it's literally impossible to damage your comp with heat... since it auto-shuts off), they wont turn back on properly.
Pulling the CMOS battery(while your comp is unplugged, otherwise it wont do a damned thing) will reset your system settings to default, hopefully allowing your computer to turn on again.
While you're in the case, I'd also work on taking an air duster to the insides. if you've had your comp awhile, and never cleaned it out, it's probably caked with dust, which insulates heat. Concentrate on your fans, and heat sinks.
Hopefully this helps. Oh, and as always, whenever working on your comp, make sure you are working on tiled or hardwood flooring, not carpeting, and touch the outside casing of your comp before messing with any inside parts before hand to disperse your static electricity.