# 1 New Fed ship design
04-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi,

I would like to know how u think about this ship design:

http://www7.pic-upload.de/29.04.13/jr5iwvkbhv.jpg
Captain
# 2
04-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Looking good, it's certainly different What kind of size would it be?
Rihannsu
# 3
04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Do not like it, very Un-Starfleet.. Sorry but to me it looks like someone tried to Trek up a Star Wars ship.

There is no discernible bridge, no windows. The nacelle design makes little sense since the warp engine field grid is mounted fore/aft (something we have never seen in a canon Starfleet ship), meaning the field coils are mounted in line Port-Starboard, does the ship travels in warp sideways (Crab Warp Drive?).

I can't determine the scale. If it is a shuttle sized craft then the RCS thrusters and phasers would be to scale but the crew looks like they would be laying on their backs, but if it is a starship sized craft, then the phasers and RCS are grossly oversized.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 4
04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Only half of the image is loading for me.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 5
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
Do not like it, very Un-Starfleet.. Sorry but to me it looks like someone tried to Trek up a Star Wars ship.

There is no discernible bridge, no windows. The nacelle design makes little sense since the warp engine field grid is mounted fore/aft (something we have never seen in a canon Starfleet ship), meaning the field coils are mounted in line Port-Starboard, does the ship travels in warp sideways (Crab Warp Drive?).

I can't determine the scale. If it is a shuttle sized craft then the RCS thrusters and phasers would be to scale but the crew looks like they would be laying on their backs, but if it is a starship sized craft, then the phasers and RCS are grossly oversized.
If you think of it as an intermediary design between the traditional primary-secondary-nacelle configuration of most ships (which the Defiant-class breaks away from) and the Wells-class Timeships of the distant future, I think there're some common design elements
Career Officer
Commander
# 7
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah to be honest most people don't even know how to put a ship design together, so I applaud the effort you put into this.

That being said it looks a bit too close to The marauder class missile corvette design
from starwars empire at war.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Marauder-class_corvette

That being said a few tweaks to the design could fix this problem. Otherwise good job.
Empire Veteran
# 8
04-29-2013, 12:00 PM
I'd say it could work as a KDF ship.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Career Officer
# 9
04-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. It just doesn't strike me as a Federation Starship.

Quote:
hmm... if it's shuttle sized it might work as a fighter, if a cockpit is added. Or maybe a computer-controlled drone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naevius
I'd say it could work as a KDF ship.
Well it does have more in common with a bird of prey than a fed starship.

Last edited by murphysgesetz; 04-29-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Certainly interesting. The problem with a lot of Trek designs is they don't stray enough from what's gone before to be all that interesting.

Not sure what you had in mind, but to me it almost looks like a large shipping tug. Like you attach a long string of containers starting from under the flat aft section and then it tows them along at warp.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.