Lt. Commander
# 71 Very nice FAQ
08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Nice info!!

2 Questions though.

1) Will a player's starship act as their house as well? Will characters have quarters or a "ready room" on the ship to decorate with mementos of past adventures or art or furniture. Archer, Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko all had rooms that they personalised. Will that touch be in the game as welll?

2) What happens if a player looses combat? Does the ship explode and we have to build/buy another ship or will there be some form of insurance that we (the players) can buy to replace lost components/ships should they be destroyed or crippled in combat?
Lt. Commander
# 72
08-12-2008, 08:08 PM
The FAQ should be part of the registration process.
Lt. Commander
# 73
08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
That was quick, thanks. Nice read too... mostly just to see stuff confirmed, or reconfirmed. :p
Lt. Commander
# 74 Interesting Captian Options
08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I will be interested to see just how your chosen background/profession will influence your command style. Will there be mini-games when you are giving out commands? When grouped on an away mission with other 'Captians' how will the chosen professions act together, will it be like a typical MMO? How much control will you have over your bridge crew? Will your bridge crew have their own stories, and 'emotions'? Just some questions that struck me immediately after reading the faq.

~Tbone9581
Lt. Commander
# 75
08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
The FAQ makes me very optimistic about the final product. It seems as if they have listened to the community, and implemented the better ideas.

One server cluster is the only way go with MMOs these days, I am glad they are doing that. Although, I suspect PC and console players might have their own servers. That is fine, I don't want to play STO on a PC, while being limited because they want to accommodate console players on the same server. At the same time, I also want console players to enjoy the game, though, don't know how it would work on a single server cluster.

Their approach to the whole "Captain" question is ok, and it seems as if Command will be your primary role, and one of the other ones that you choose Secondary. It remains to be seen how your ability to choose say, a medical career path, pans out.

I also like their response PVP/PVE, it keeps as faithful to ST as possible, while still giving you something to do if you want to PVP/PVE, and it looks like some sort of reward. At least you are not forced in to PVP/PVE.

Just a few more questions I would like to see answered in future FAQ revisions: What happens when you die? What happens to your ship when you are on away missions? Are there any naming conventions/restrictions for you character and ship?

AB
Lt. Commander
# 76
08-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djin View Post
Did you not see the podcast? He said 3 years.
He said, "Less than 3 Years"... laughs ... "Well that is an outrageous comment in the industry, MMOs usually take alot longer to develope"
Lt. Commander
# 77
08-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Nothing new in except the server information. Sounds that Cryptic is perhaps really planning to create one large server and let all players on there. (i hope so)

Great!

You can find a German translation here:

http://www.startrek-online.info/index.php?id=240
Lt. Commander
# 78 Will there be an economy?
08-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Concerning the question, "Will there be an economy?", I would like to say that the answer is incorrect, it is Earth humans who do not have money. On the other hand the individual groups within the Federation do have money, including Starfleet. There are several instances, but a particular one is where Captain Janeway says, she went on vacation to Vulcan and she was overcharged, when a Vulcan merchant found out she was Starfleet.

Barter is a horribly inefficient means of trade and I hope it doesn't factor in except on a personal level, not as the basis of the economy.
Lt. Commander
# 79
08-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Question will STO be introducing races that are in the popular fan flims like Hidden Frontier and Odyssey? or will we be able to mod them into the game?
Lt. Commander
# 80
08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
You guys are setting an early tone for fantastic community updates. Keep this up, and I am sure that you will have a large chunk of the MMO community following you.

Can't wait for more updates!