Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
The Best of both world's was one of the best episodes of Trek in it's history, and we all know how it ended the season.

Riker was in command of the Enterprise, capt. Picard was turned into a Borg, and the command was given to fire a secret weapon to distroy the Borg ship.

As I hear it, there was a fork in the road at this point behind the everything on screen.

The way I understand it, Patrick Stewart was in heated contract talks, so this was the point in the show he might not of returned. That would have meant:

1. When season two began, no matter how it would have gone, in the end we would still have Locutus of Borg running around.

2. Riker would be named captain of the enterprise fulltime.

3. Commander Shelby would be named the new #1.

Now if this did shake out this way, would it have been a major disappointment at that time, a shocking momment in trek history, or you wouldn't care on any level after all was said and done?

IMO if things did go this road, I feel we would have seen a few cameo's by Patrick Stewart playing the role of Locutus. with his final rescue happening in the Movie Star Trek First Contact.

So what do you guys think?
Captain
# 2
05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure how it would have turned out, but it would have been a very different series indeed. No "Inner Light", no "All Good Things", or any of the other episodes like that.

Picard was very much the center of TNG, much more than Kirk even. I could see how that could have worked, Riker being very much the Kirk archetype, but I think TNG benefitted a lot from being not TOS.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
The Best of both world's was one of the best episodes of Trek in it's history, and we all know how it ended the season.

1. When season two began, no matter how it would have gone, in the end we would still have Locutus of Borg running around.
I was the third season finale & first episode of the fourth season.
Bone1970 & Bone trader don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac's. BNE Fed Sci.
Bag of Bones & Bone Ugly don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Rom/Fed Tac. Bone & Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng's.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Commander
# 4
05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
It would have saddened me not to have my favorite captain in one of my favorite ships.. on screen anyway.

Riker might have been an excellent captain as well, as Frakes was a great actor.. but who knows!

I for one, am happy good ole' patty stayed in his seat lol
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Locutus could have made an amazing recurring villain in DS9, assuming TNG still did well enough for DS9 to happen. The entire Dominion thing probably wouldn't have happened, they'd have the perfect nemesis and a better endgame than a fistfight in the fire caves pre-cooked for Sisko.

On the other hand, with Stewart gone, the show was down two of its major cast members. That's the sort of thing a studio executive sees and expects the show to fall apart. After that, a mediocre season 4 could have killed TNG and doomed DS9 before it started.

Last edited by hevach; 05-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Captain
# 6
05-01-2013, 10:43 AM
THx for the correction bones1970, my BAD.
Captain
# 7
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
That's very true hevach, things could have gone south with Stewart not returning, so I am glad at that time the contract thing got worked out. But I am sure a ton of spin control would have been going on, to help the show stay strong. In the end the best thing happened for it's time, and we have what we have. Now if there is a reboot on TNG, lord help us all.
Ensign
# 8 Much more than that...
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
if you went to see the cinematic event last week, it gave you some incite into what was going on.

Michael Pillar the writer of the episode, was leaving the show but needed to write a script to cover several different scenarios. Stewart may leave, the show's future was uncertain, and so forth.

The irony is, none of that occurred and now forced Michael Pillar to come back and undo everything in the story and allow the show to have a future.

So yes, it was a major turning point for Star Trek, not just the show, but the franchise itself.

The proof is made clear as you watch the BoBW full length feature and see the difference in video quality as the scenes change between part 1 and part 2 (since in this new version they are seamlessly edited as one episode), Paramount started channel a lot more money into the show during that summer.
Captain
# 9
05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow shame I missed thst one at the movies, but there is always video, and I will have something new to drive the wife crazy with. Maybe we can get Michael Pillar to write a new show for us, then find a streaming site to play it on. Seems like that's the way to go for anything we want as fans. Seeing how the network is just sitting on the Trek verse, and only letting Jj have fun with it. I think Companies like a Netflix might be what we need to get some type of Trek back on the small screen.
Rihannsu
# 10
05-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post

Riker was in command of the Enterprise, capt. Picard was turned into a Borg, and the command was given to fire a secret weapon to distroy the Borg ship.

As I hear it, there was a fork in the road at this point behind the everything on screen.

The way I understand it, Patrick Stewart was in heated contract talks, so this was the point in the show he might not of returned. That would have meant:

2. Riker would be named captain of the enterprise fulltime.

3. Commander Shelby would be named the new #1.

Now if this did shake out this way, would it have been a major disappointment at that time, a shocking momment in trek history, or you wouldn't care on any level after all was said and done?

IMO if things did go this road, I feel we would have seen a few cameo's by Patrick Stewart playing the role of Locutus. with his final rescue happening in the Movie Star Trek First Contact.

So what do you guys think?
If Stewart did not return they most likely would have killed Locutus along with the Cube. At the time all you hope to do as a TV show is get one more season let alone worry about another few seasons, and several films.

if it had gone down I would have still watched, by picard was so awesome that it would have been a very different show with riker/shelby. I cant imagine it would have been anywhere near as good.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission