Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Empire Veteran
# 11
05-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Ahh what might have been.....

I love alternate timeline stuff, one of my favorite books is Star Trek Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism.

It's a collection of "short" stories, each the length of a short novel. In one Terra Prime won and humanity became highly xenophobic.

In the second one Janeway listens to Checkotay and turns around trying to find another way past Borg space, eventually Belana becomes a terrorist, Janeway gets knocked up by Checkotay, they form a new UFP from delta quadrant races stuff like that.

The final one I looooove. It takes place in the DS9 time frame but the augments won the third world war, Bashiar is captain of a ship and they find a ship drifting in space, but instead of Kahn it's a bunch of unaltered humans who escaped Earth. Kahn himself is dead physically but his personality has be preserved and uploaded into a special hologram aboard each ship....it's really good stuff.

Now I guess I need to try and find some stories based on what would happen if Picard died and Riker took over.
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."
Better dead than Fed!
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
When I first saw The Next Generation I noted that Frakes kind of ressembled a young Kirk.

I expected that something tragic would happen, Picard/ Pike would be disabled and Frakes would take over leading us into a glorious remake of TOS.

Imagine my disappointment.

Now JJ Abrams HAS used that winning formula, although I much prefer this new Pike over Picard, he has spunk. "Punch It" indeed.
Empire Veteran
# 13
05-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
"Punch It" indeed.
-facepalm- The parking break was on.....I mean seriously!? I shook my head at that point.
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."
Better dead than Fed!
Career Officer
# 14
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
-facepalm- The parking break was on.....I mean seriously!? I shook my head at that point.
You and me both, man.

Even if it was Sulu's first day on the helm, it doesn't say much for Starfleet Academy training if he didn't know about the "parking brake". Just all kinds of dumb. That and manic Scotty is what pass for humor in the JJ-verse.
Career Officer
# 15
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
P.S. to get back on track, interesting revelations indeed.

Losing Picard permanently would have been a huge change, but I for one wouldn't have minded seeing more of Shelby. :p
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
05-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
You and me both, man.

Even if it was Sulu's first day on the helm, it doesn't say much for Starfleet Academy training if he didn't know about the "parking brake". Just all kinds of dumb. That and manic Scotty is what pass for humor in the JJ-verse.
They let old man Picard have meetings instead of commanding thorughout his job so......

Quote:

And how was that Pike's fault?

Movie wise it was neccessary to delay Enterprise's departure.

Minimizing the event by calling the External Inertial Dampener a "parking brake" is a cheap forum tactic used as a comeback when a witty counter is not within the poster's capability.

I'm sure those few here old enough to drive forgotten something simple in their rush. My favorite was when some macho dude ran into the "pull" out door of a 7 Eleven and then grinds his ignition because he forgot his car was already on derp.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 05-01-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Captain
# 17
05-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
You and me both, man.

Because Scotty bopping his head in a corridor, Uhura dancing with feathered boas, not knowing Klingon and laughing like an idiot, Data being a floatation device with a male anatomy innuendo, and Troi mind r4pe scenes are TOTALLY amazing Trek moments.

But yeah, keep crying about NuTrek being ridiculous over and over again. I'm sure it will amount to something...

As for the TOPIC, there's just no way Frakes could have carried the show. He's only interesting so long as you have Picard to fall back on. They worked well together, but they were not alike. That occasional tension and Riker being Picard's "grunt" were what made the show interesting and different from TOS. A Riker-Shelby show would not have worked well, IMO.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.

Last edited by kain9prime; 05-01-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 18
05-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
Because Scotty bopping his head in a corridor, Uhura dancing with feathered boas, not knowing Klingon and laughing like an idiot, Data being a floatation device with a male anatomy innuendo, and Troi mind r4pe scenes are TOTALLY amazing Trek moments.

But yeah, keep crying about NuTrek being ridiculous over and over again. I'm sure it will amount to something...

-points- Look, look I found the God of sarcasm!!!

But for the record I was not crying about "NuTrek", I just found the parking break an moment.

Also out of those scenes you mentioned, Scotty smacking his head was chuckle worthy. As for the rest they are take em or leave em moments to me. Well okay the Troi scene was one of the worst in Trek history.

I do agree with you that Riker would have been nothing without Picard.
Better dead than Fed!
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
05-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Ah, What If Scenarios. Discussion Fodder for perhaps about as long as humanity has existed.

Also INCREDIBLE Fanfic Material.

Personally, I enjoy how TNG canon turned out and set the stage for DS9 and VOY to come, and eventually lead us here to STO, but now that I know about the other path it could have gone, I wouldn't mind seeing someone write a Fanfic about that path, possibly posting it on Fanfiction.Net.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"Close Air Support covereth a multitude of sins." - Maxim 4, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
Career Officer
# 20
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
I didn't like any of those scenes either. Funny that you use examples of bad scenes from mostly bad movies to justify JJ Trek.

JJ Trek 2 will have great success, meaning ticket sales. That doesn't necessarily make it or its predecessor "good" movies. If the lemmings are happy that's all that counts, right? You'll be pleased I'm sure.