Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 21
05-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Without Picard, TNG really would've been very different. And I would've lost a childhood idol...

...I dare not imagine what I'd be now in THAT timeline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 22
05-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
So what do you guys think?
Chain of Command came out after Best of Both Worlds. Patrick Stewart wasn't done with that character at that point. Not by a long shot. 'Nuff said for me.

Last edited by snoggymack22; 05-01-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Captain
# 23
05-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
I didn't like any of those scenes either. Funny that you use examples of bad scenes from mostly bad movies to justify JJ Trek.
3 movies, 1 of which was good.

And?

The whole point is the people who keep complaining about NuTrek being soooo horrendous seem to have rose-colored glasses when viewing the rest of Trek movies and TV shows. As if they're all gold nuggets in comparison when they certainly are not.

Quote:
J Trek 2 will have great success, meaning ticket sales. That doesn't necessarily make it or its predecessor "good" movies. If the lemmings are happy that's all that counts, right? You'll be pleased I'm sure.
I'll be pleased if I'm entertained. If I'm not, I won't be. I wasn't with much of Voyager, most of Enterprise, pretty much all the TNG movies and STV. So much for your "lemmings" implication.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.

Last edited by kain9prime; 05-01-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Captain
# 24
05-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
Scotty smacking his head was chuckle worthy.
Strongly disagree.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Lieutenant
# 25
05-01-2013, 11:24 PM
I am sorry but without Patrick Stewart Star Trek would have been dead and buried (FYI Best of Both Worlds was the end of Series 3 not Series 1). In the Next Generation with the exception of Brent Spiner who really brought a "Inhuman" quality in his portrayal of Data Patrick Stewart raised a cast of Hams to something watch-able and his presence on the set raised the acting of those around him. Jonathan Frakes just could not have headed the series in the same way as his acting was very wooden and limited dimensionally, you get the feeling he was more playing himself than any role. This is evident in the fact that nothing he was in before TNG had real success and he was a real B-List TV star. The depth that Patrick Stewart brought to Picard really propelled the series forward. The most notable of these episodes to me are "Sarek" where having melded with Sarek Picard almost descends into madness, "The Inner Light" in which Picard relives the last moments of a civilisation, "Chain of Command" this is a really gritty episode where he makes you believe he is being Tortured!. They are just a few but Stewart certainly took Trek forward. If TNG had flopped then it is unlikely there would have been DS9 or Voyager.
He even helped launch DS9 and it is a very memorable first meeting between Picard and Sisko in Emissary Pt1 and then again in Pt2 where Sisko almost forgives him! and then Likewise the established DS9 launched Voyager.

The foray into the post TOS films was also spearheaded by Stewart and although Generations was not considered totally successful First Contact was a thoroughly enjoyable film, and again this was largely due to Stewart. In the "Great White Whale" speech for a second you actually forget you are watching Star Trek.

So Stewart carried TNG and then DS9 was Launched with the help of Stewart and TNG and then likewise Voyger was launched with the help of DS9. It is noteworthy that Enterprise was not helped by its predecessors and not tied in at all and we all know what happened there! The Last Episode where Frakes was in it was only written after the series was cancelled!
Career Officer
# 26
05-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
The Best of both world's was one of the best episodes of Trek in it's history, and we all know how it ended the season.

Riker was in command of the Enterprise, capt. Picard was turned into a Borg, and the command was given to fire a secret weapon to distroy the Borg ship.

As I hear it, there was a fork in the road at this point behind the everything on screen.

The way I understand it, Patrick Stewart was in heated contract talks, so this was the point in the show he might not of returned. That would have meant:

1. When season two began, no matter how it would have gone, in the end we would still have Locutus of Borg running around.

2. Riker would be named captain of the enterprise fulltime.

3. Commander Shelby would be named the new #1.

Now if this did shake out this way, would it have been a major disappointment at that time, a shocking momment in trek history, or you wouldn't care on any level after all was said and done?

IMO if things did go this road, I feel we would have seen a few cameo's by Patrick Stewart playing the role of Locutus. with his final rescue happening in the Movie Star Trek First Contact.

So what do you guys think?
Im sure John Frakes would of remained along with the other cast, but it would of been more likely Data would of been made first officer to temper Rikers usual impatient heavy handedness with calm logic like Picard did. and just to annoy everyone else on the forum, but Wesley would of like been made full time as well, i could imagine Wil Wheaton agreeing to longer term TNG.

Im not convinced that Liz Dennehy would of been interested in a full time role in TNG, nor would the fans appreciate this adversarial relationship between the senior officers either, besides Shelby was only onboard because of the Borg threat and she didnt seem like the type to play diplomat, not even Riker is good enough for the position beyond mediocrity.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Captain
# 27
05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
The Riker character could lead a tv series just not tng (He would mostly be a rehash of Kirk though). The opening shot in the first episode is of picard he was the show. Only Data really had a shot at outshining him. Data as captain might have made an interesting series...
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
05-02-2013, 02:12 PM
All the Next Gen actors are too old/ changed to do more than cameos now so the TV series ideas using any of them is moot.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
# 29
05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
It's one of the greats, Stewart's performance as Locutus was chillingly good. Best of both worlds ranks number one in my trek episode top ten. It was a good move keeping Picard as he got some really good episodes in later episodes, the best Picard episode being the wounded.

Mirror NX, you know you want it