Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Federation Tutorial
05-16-2013, 10:12 PM
So I've played thru the Romulan line & rolled a new Klingon to try out the new stuff over there. Both factions now have really fun & great tutorials. So I rerolled a new Federation character and found myself quite disappointed in the old Fed tutorial we've had since launch (ok you tweaked it a while back, but it is really the same). The KDF & RR tutorials are really nice with good pacing, a good story line, interesting BOff assignments (that makes me want to keep my BOffs), etc. The FED tutorial just kinda feels like: This is how you do this, oh and we'll put it in a pretty wrapper for you.

Could we get a new FED one that matches the design of the new KDF & RR tutorials? It might be a fun Foundry contest for folks.

peter
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-17-2013, 12:08 AM
sure, because FED side is always neglected and "underitemized", let's focus on them for change...
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
05-17-2013, 12:18 AM
The Federation does now have, IMO, by far the weakest leveling experience. This will likely be good for the relative sizes of the factions, but, if it stays that way, bad for the game.

Then again, the worst parts of the Republic and KDF leveling experiences are the parts they share with the Federation, especially the Undine and Borg arcs. If something's going to be remastered, it should start there. Well... it should start with ripping Divide et Impera out of the game and replacing it with something actually enjoyable, but after that, the shared high-level content.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
05-17-2013, 04:46 AM
It'll be a while until the Federation tutorial gets looked at again I'd imagine. Though when it does, I'm hoping that it starts you at the academy, as members of Red Squad, with a proper Kobayashi Maru-style test that grants a trait* based on your choices, and ends up with us being sent on a "training cruise" near the Vega Colony when the Borg attack starts. The academy would be the first five levels, and the Borg attack would be the next five.

* You would be able to take the Kobayashi Maru test again at Starfleet Academy, so if you're already passed the tutorial, you won't miss out on the trait.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 05-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Captain
# 5
05-17-2013, 06:00 AM
One of the devs (can't remember who) said in a recent interview that they were looking at revamping the Fed tutorial.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 6
05-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiezja View Post
Well... it should start with ripping Divide et Impera out of the game and replacing it with something actually enjoyable, but after that, the shared high-level content.
Don't need to actually rip out "Divide et Impera" - just tweak the storyline a little. Give me options during the invasion of the Romulan base to realize there's something wrong with the admiral, triggering a variant cutscene where I try to arrest her, she shows her true form, then she kills the base commander, takes her place, and triggers a self-destruct; I then have to get off the base before it blows, giving her her chance to escape. Don't force my character to carry the idiot ball just because you want to make the point that Undine have infiltrated both Starfleet and the RSE.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Republic Veteran
# 7
05-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Don't need to actually rip out "Divide et Impera" - just tweak the storyline a little. Give me options during the invasion of the Romulan base to realize there's something wrong with the admiral, triggering a variant cutscene where I try to arrest her, she shows her true form, then she kills the base commander, takes her place, and triggers a self-destruct; I then have to get off the base before it blows, giving her her chance to escape. Don't force my character to carry the idiot ball just because you want to make the point that Undine have infiltrated both Starfleet and the RSE.
Acually what i would do is have it where we are attacking a Republic base instead of a RSE base, and you realize these are not the Romulans you're looking for, and she's trying to get StarFleet and the Republic on bad terms with each other and you foil her plot.

Survivor of Romulus
# 8
05-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Wish list for a Federation tutorial

1 No Borg at all
2 A mission with scanning objects (a recent recruit to our fleet could not use a tricorder)
3 A choice of kits rather than the current Grenade/mines/medical tricorder
4 do away with the rifle
5 End the tutorial with "end program" and a fade to holodeck at the academy
Lieutenant
# 9
05-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Wish list for a Federation tutorial

1 No Borg at all
2 A mission with scanning objects (a recent recruit to our fleet could not use a tricorder)
4 do away with the rifle
That sounds positively boring.
Captain
# 10
05-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
1 No Borg at all
I like the Borg. And their invasion is part of the reason Quinn is desparate enough to give an Ensign command of a ship.

Quote:
Sure.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
4 do away with the rifle
I like the rifle. Way better than that flimsy hand phaser they give you to start with.

Quote:
No.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q