Republic Veteran
# 1 40 second Romulan cloak??
05-01-2013, 07:59 PM
I think 40 seconds is a tad much, even with the traits, my KDF character can cloak faster.

I understand before it was ridiculous with 5 seconds and all, but now it's kinda pointless to have the trait other than then to just play catch up with the KDF, and FED ships that have cloak and 20.

I just want to know why a trait meant for a cool down just had the cooldown raised where one now needs the trait just to get it down to the original level to match the other ships 20 seconds.?

Anyway ideas please.

P.S I don't want to hear about canon and how Romulans gave the cloak to the FED, and KDF. Just keep it about the game thanks

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party

Career Officer
# 2
05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
I hate seeing base line skills balanced around "optional" traits. To me the trait should be the one being balanced, not the cloak.

KDF and Fed cloaks are 20 seconds, that should be what all cloaks are across the boards. Don't penalize Romulans, who have been bragged up by Cryptic to be the superior cloakers in STO, because you gave them a trait that made baseline cloaks unbalanced.

What if I don't want to take the trait. What if I want all Fed/KDF BOffs and not use Romulan BOffs? Now somehow I have a sub-par cloak simply because I didn't take the traits and BOffs?

Now that said, 5 second cloaks were WAY overboard.

Simple fix... move the battle cloak back to 20 seconds.
Make the Players trait remove 5 seconds from the cloak.
Make each BOff slotted on a ship console remove .5 seconds from the cloak(rounded down)

That makes the battle cloak recharge 20 seconds unmodified (equal to all other races) and max modified 13 seconds. If it needs balancing still, readjuct the player trait so it becomes a modified max 15 seconds.

The other option I see is make the player trait a 2 or 3 second reduction in battle cloak, then each BOff a 1 second reduction, hardcapped at 15 seconds.

Last edited by ladymyajha; 05-01-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Captain
# 3
05-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymyajha View Post
I hate seeing base line skills balanced around "optional" traits.
Entirely too much of the game is handled that way - traits, gear, etc, etc, etc. It's very frustrating at times and leads to the majority of problems, imho.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Republic Veteran
# 4
05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I'd rather they just not let boff traits stack with each other then nerf romulan cloak. I don't want to have to run a full bridge of Romulans to get optimal cloak... I want to pick and customize my crew without being penalized inadvertently.

So the only advantage Romulans may have over klingons etc is the captain traits.

Honestly letting boff traits stack ever was kinda a mistake.

Last edited by cryptkeeper0; 05-01-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 5
05-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Seriously, I have to have all my stations crewed with cloak CD boffs just to get anywhere near Fed/Kdf levels, bad move Cryptic, really low. You are starting to show your colors again, don't punk out on us.
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Career Officer
# 6
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
40 is ridiculous. 30 wouldn't be too bad, but 40 is just a little nuts, pretty much ruins the cloak.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Empire Veteran
# 7
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
40 second cloak? That's a bit much.

I can understand needing to keep it balanced. But if that's the case, then balance the BOFFs, not the ability. The BOFFs are the issue here, not the actual cloak.

That's far too large a hit for Romulan players, and will still let Klingon and Fed players cloak faster.

Captain
# 8
05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Ye it would be good if a dev would come here and say why it was changed and what's the aim of the change. Because the experience with Cryptic tells me, that KDF and FED cloaks are going to be nerfed as well
Career Officer
# 9
05-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Actually if KDF and Fed cloaks are nerfed as well, and nerfed equally, at least it becomes balanced in the fact that the baseline holds true, and the Romulan traits make it how it is now. I could live with that.

But they could have nerfed that with this patch, and saved them alot of concertation among their player base.
Career Officer
# 10
05-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymyajha View Post
Actually if KDF and Fed cloaks are nerfed as well, and nerfed equally, at least it becomes balanced in the fact that the baseline holds true, and the Romulan traits make it how it is now. I could live with that.

But they could have nerfed that with this patch, and saved them alot of concertation among their player base.
Dont forget, Federation cloaks use up console slots and are not part of the given ship unlike KDF and Romulan.