Commander
# 21
05-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper0 View Post
I'd rather they just not let boff traits stack with each other then nerf romulan cloak. I don't want to have to run a full bridge of Romulans to get optimal cloak... I want to pick and customize my crew without being penalized inadvertently.

So the only advantage Romulans may have over klingons etc is the captain traits.

Honestly letting boff traits stack ever was kinda a mistake.
Wait... they're incentivizing an all Romulan bridge crew? This is an idea I like.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermbot View Post
Wait... they're incentivizing an all Romulan bridge crew? This is an idea I like.
Pretty much. (Do Remans get R. Operative? I know they get Subterfuge. Beauty is the Romulan BOff I found with ROp and Sub.)

I would much rather they kept the KBC and RBC in step, with the Romulan "tech mastery" being the potency bonus, and reduce the ROpp traits - let them still stack (to encourage a
Romulan/Reman crew), but reduce the current 5/10/15% to 3/5/7% or thereabouts.

If they tamper with the power levels too to give the shorter timer back, that's acceptable. It just means that the Warp Core skills are now must-buys. (Not that they weren't, before.)
Career Officer
# 23
05-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
I'd always seen people talking about how the cloak frequency is to be used to combat the incredibly poor turn rate of ships like the D'Deridex and Ha'apax.

Now we're getting really poorly maneuverable ships with delayed cloaking and still reduced power levels.
I know.....

And I have to agree with others too.

Instead of making the ship cloak less effective why not make the racial trait less effective. I don't understand why they give Romulans an advantage with cloaking just to turn around and make it so they have little to no advantage at all by nerfing the cloak on their ships.
Now Romulan players will be penalized for not having this trait on themselves or the BOFFs. This "fix" forces the player to take the racial trait and use all Romulans with the racial trait to compensate for the reduced ability of the Romulan Cloak.

Why not reduce the effect of the racial trait, make it so that it does not stack, or give the trait diminishing returns. Then leave the cloak as it is for all other cloaks in game, so the player without these traits are no worse or better off than any other faction's ship with a cloak.

Set a base minimum allowed.
(How long should it take a Romulan ship to cloak with all possible advantages)
Then work from their to.
(With no advantages a Romulan ship takes 20 seconds like all others to cloak)
Career Officer
# 24
05-02-2013, 06:01 AM
I agree with the general sentiment.

If the issue is the interaction of BOFFs + Cloaking, then adjust the BOFFs and not base cloaking.

Captain
# 25
05-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Personally, if the options are 40 base power or 40 second cloak, I'll take the 40 second cloak.

With the right boff loadout you can still get the cloak CD down (if my back of post-it math is correct) below the original 20 second timepoint.
Captain
# 26
05-02-2013, 06:14 AM
This nerf made flying a D'deridex or Ha'apax pointless the cloak is the only means that makes this whales usable unless you like being a giant target.

With this nerf im going back to the holodeck until its fixed and if they dont fix this nerf and it goes live i wont even bother making a romulan hell i may check out some other games to play.

bad idea nerfing the cloaks real bad idea
Commander
# 27
05-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I can understand needing to keep it balanced. But if that's the case, then balance the BOFFs, not the ability. The BOFFs are the issue here, not the actual cloak.
I absolutely second this and what others said. The problem are the optional buffing traits of BOffs etc., not the baseline ability/recharge to cloak.
Captain
# 28
05-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Why not an actual Boff skill: Emergency Power to Cloak? The higher the rank the skill the more time is removed from the 40 seconds? Ensign rank: 5 seconds, Lieutenant rank: 10 seconds, Lt. Cmdr rank: 15 seconds, and Commander rank: 20 seconds.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 29
05-02-2013, 07:56 AM
There really doesn't need to be a 5th power in on the EPtX cooldown cluster****.
Lieutenant
# 30
05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archoncryptic View Post
Just a heads up, I've responded about this issue here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=665

As always, these things are subject to possible change in the future. Thanks for your feedback.
Here is another approach:

Singularity becomes *detrimental* if it reaches max charge and goes unused for too long. It could apply a radiation DoT, or an AUX power drain, something along those lines (like overheating in EVE)