Rihannsu
# 31
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I haven't played a Romulan, so I can't speak to the above conversation about Tovan Khev, but I did find the blog an entertaining read.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Lieutenant
# 32
05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlbrtnfrnt View Post
I like a backstory too.

I honestly cant stand the story the Devs are telling. Its not my story. I would prefer to give myself and my BOs their own story rather than one one invented by someone else that I dont like and am forced to ignore.

Every thing in this expansion is FORCED. Forced to be a farmer. Forced to be in the Republic. Forced to be a Fed.

Truth be told my character and BOs had their stories created years ago waiting for the Romulans. Everything the devs have created pretty much doesnt fit.
That doesn't make the story the devs are telling a bad one though.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from, as I myself prefer selfmade stories about my boffs, but so far I like the story they are telling. That doesn't mean you need to adept it for yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 33
05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
While I like the idea of boffs with backstory and personality, I have to say that they took it to far with Tovan. It indeed feels as if he was the captain and I was his officer. He talks to much and when he presents his opinions we don't get any other option than to agree with everything he said.
Another problem, he doesn't treat us with respect a superior officer should get. He was a member of security, he should know what chain of command is and he should stop telling me what to do. I want an option to remind him that he should refer to me as "captain".

On another note, it's a blessing his parents are dead, otherwise they would be ashamed knowing that their only son has become a thief, traitor and terrorist.
I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiat007 View Post
On another note, it's a blessing his parents are dead, otherwise they would be ashamed knowing that their only son has become a thief, traitor and terrorist.
not to mention FARMER. We have slave species to do that.
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Rihannsu
# 35
05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Tovan is my bro. The Vakarian to my Shepard. Never leave home without him.
Ah yes, "Iconians", the immortal demons of air and darkness allegedly waiting in subspace. We have dismissed this claim.

Career Officer
# 36
05-02-2013, 01:58 PM
So how many of these story-oriented BOffs are we getting? I love the idea, and I would love two or three to roll with for my first story-following toon, but not all of my characters are necessarily going to be following the plot as laid out. I'd like plenty of wiggle room to craft my own full teams with minimal slot sacrifice for these un-dismissable BOffs.
Lieutenant
# 37
05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Not tried it out yet, but I think this looks like a good idea - in principle.

In theory, more backstory and immersion is a good idea. I haven't played SWTOR - but from what I have seen on Youttube this seemed like one of the plus points - your companions/boff equivalents had personality.

However, it is important that we are able to turn this off/turn it down. I'm sure he will probably be a great character the first time round. But I could easily tire of him, especially if I have my own view of what my character is differs from his (such as me pretending I am a secret Tal Shiar agent, etc). And woe betide if I find the character annoying - that will just put me off compltely.

Whilst backstory and immersion is great, the blank slate that STO provides is also great. On my fed character I have given all of my Boffs unique backstories and characters that are unique and distinctive to me. I would hate for Cryptic to suddenly start imposing its vision on me.

A simple feature to turn this off/shut him up would be more than sufficient.
Lieutenant
# 38
05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
So how many of these story-oriented BOffs are we getting? I love the idea, and I would love two or three to roll with for my first story-following toon, but not all of my characters are necessarily going to be following the plot as laid out. I'd like plenty of wiggle room to craft my own full teams with minimal slot sacrifice for these un-dismissable BOffs.
You said what I meant, but in three lines rather than paragraphs

Backstory and content are always good. But give us the flexibility/option to make our own story as well, if we choose.
Lt. Commander
# 39
05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
There are 4 so far, only Tovan can't be dismissed.
I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
Career Officer
# 40
05-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
While I like the idea of boffs with backstory and personality, I have to say that they took it to far with Tovan. It indeed feels as if he was the captain and I was his officer. He talks to much and when he presents his opinions we don't get any other option than to agree with everything he said.
Another problem, he doesn't treat us with respect a superior officer should get. He was a member of security, he should know what chain of command is and he should stop telling me what to do. I want an option to remind him that he should refer to me as "captain".
Since when do you have these self-esteem problems? Seriously, it's no different with the Fed officers, only that they are generic. They still tell you what to do. And if you want to be called captain you mustn't play a Romulan. Romulans don't have captains.

Quote:
Thief? Traitor and terrorist for choosing to defend himself when the Tal Shiar sells his people to aliens?
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.