Lieutenant
# 41
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlbrtnfrnt View Post
I've grown to hate him.

Aside from the uniform issue, he doesnt speak like a Romulan and uses idioms and slang no character in the game should be using. I cringe everytime he says something.

He comments constantly even when he isnt on a bridge station, department head or Away Team. He didnt beam dowm but still adds his two cents.
That's why I like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiat007 View Post
Another problem, he doesn't treat us with respect a superior officer should get.
What a sad life if you need virtual characters to bow before you to feel better.
Career Officer
# 42
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiat007 View Post
There are 4 so far, only Tovan can't be dismissed.
Oh, okay. That's perfect.
Commander
# 43
05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
So... am I forced to use these BOffs? Sorry. Nice idea and all. This is my character though, not yours. I don't want you dictating me what my back story is. I plan to make a TOS Romulan that was caught in a time rift and pulled into the 25th century. Hardly not the story you want me to play and hardly the story that these companion BOffs will fit into.
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
This is a bad idea and overkill. Voice is nice and all but overrated to an extend. Meaning its needed for cut scenes, but with special companions you kill the uniqueness of each captain. Meaning they all have the same bridge officer. In swtor it was nice at first, later on it just well felt stupid. Like I said giving voice to quest givers or someones captain, and in a cut scene is a good thing. As far as companions go, there is only one way to do that, and thats to give everyone the same bridge officer. As already stated there goes the uniqueness out the door. Something else to consider devs is the long term. As they found out in swtor, you will not be able to keep up with it beyond LOR. Think for one moment you come out with it for LOR yay all good, then some months later your trying to put out a another series, and all of a sudden it hits you. Oh crap now we have to continue the story. personalty, and everything else for that bridge officer for that series.
Captain
# 45
05-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
I've grown to hate him.

Aside from the uniform issue, he doesnt speak like a Romulan and uses idioms and slang no character in the game should be using. I cringe everytime he says something.

He comments constantly even when he isnt on a bridge station, department head or Away Team. He didnt beam dowm but still adds his two cents.

Its MY story not his.

He isnt my first officer, he isnt my buddy and I dont really care about his personal relationships.

Either make him an NPC or a Boff but not both.

My only wish is that when you are indoctrinated that he is the one you get shoot. Even if its just a hologram.

If I wanted companions with stories, I'd be playing SWTOR.

I can only hope at some later point he dies a slow painful death
Do you need to bring him along, or can you dismiss him from the ship? If I had to choose between a voiced companion and a mute first officer, I would take a later any day of the week. Unless Cryptic is turning "Star Trek: Online" into an actual rpg, I do not see the importance of including a voiced bridge officer.

Last edited by linyive; 05-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Career Officer
# 46
05-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
So... am I forced to use these BOffs?
One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
Sorry. Nice idea and all. This is my character though, not yours. I don't want you dictating me what my back story is. I plan to make a TOS Romulan that was caught in a time rift and pulled into the 25th century. Hardly not the story you want me to play and hardly the story that these companion BOffs will fit into.
Sorry, it's their game, not yours. If you want to play a Jedi Knight you damn well have to play the Chosen one who will rid the galaxy of the Sith Emperor (err, sorry wrong franchise, wrong game). Seriously, calm down. I too have time-traveling crews who didn't exactly benefit from starting out as ensigns on a Centaur in a battle against the Borg. So what? Adapt! Heck, the game even makes it easy for you. Make your character a Romulan who was pulled through a timerift to Virinat. The TOS-warbird you start with is actually your ship. Just ignore what Khev is saying when he tells you otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Do you need to bring him along, or can you dismiss him from the ship?
Nope, he sticks with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
If I had choice between a voiced companion and a mute first officer, I would take a mute first officer any day of the week.
Well, have fun with your Fed and KDF-Chars.^^
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.

Last edited by assimilatedktar; 05-02-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 47
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Why does it have to be one way or the other?

He's part of the storytelling so obviously he has to stay around for a while. But once the story is done give people the option to dismiss the little Gary Sue, or at least change his appearance. That way the people who want to keep the special little snowflake can and the people who want to shove him face first out an airlock can do so.

@Captain_Shephard - Join Date Status: Assimilated - Twitter: @RogueJawa

Set your course and come chart a new adventure in Star Trek Online with Priority One.
Email us here to join the official fleet of STO's premier podcast.
Captain
# 48
05-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Is it true we can't change his appearance? At the very least, can we change his clothes?

Why does Cryptic, a company that used to be known for character customization, keep giving us these BOs that can't be changed?
Republic Veteran
# 49
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
well the way he barks commands and gives orders and offers his opinion, it often feels like you ARE his BO.

he needs to learn his place.
And that's different from how Riker did it?

Captain
# 50
05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Is it true we can't change his appearance? At the very least, can we change his clothes?

Why does Cryptic, a company that used to be known for character customization, keep giving us these BOs that can't be changed?
It's infuriatingly stupid. I have no idea. Literally no one thinks it's a good idea to deny people the option, if they want it.

A BOFF I can't edit in any way or dismiss. Yeah that's a great idea. It makes sense if you can dismiss him once the Romulan story arc is played through, though, and that would be fine. But otherwise I don't see how this works. Making him dismissible after the last mission of the new content would make the most sense, and I assume that's the plan.
--------------------------------------

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 05-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.