Commander
# 51
05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
Sorry, it's their game, not yours. If you want to play a Jedi Knight you damn well have to play the Chosen one who will rid the galaxy of the Sith Emperor (err, sorry wrong franchise, wrong game). Seriously, calm down. I too have time-traveling crews who didn't exactly benefit from starting out as ensigns on a Centaur in a battle against the Borg. So what? Adapt! Heck, the game even makes it easy for you. Make your character a Romulan who was pulled through a timerift to Virinat. The TOS-warbird you start with is actually your ship. Just ignore what Khev is saying when he tells you otherwise.
Figured someone was going to mention that. That's one instance, takes 10 minutes and then it's done forever. This Tovan or whatever sounds like he's never gone, always present. Makes it a lot harder to ignore.
Rihannsu
# 52
05-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Is it true we can't change his appearance? At the very least, can we change his clothes?

Why does Cryptic, a company that used to be known for character customization, keep giving us these BOs that can't be changed?

After seeing what happens with these stupid make your own aliens -immersion and storyline suffer-Its Star trek-not this week in 2 foot green midgets and 7ft tall bright pink woman in hotpants spaceland -Fed Spacedock is a cringe-I went Klingon to dodge it -its there but maybe due to lower player count its ok -so hoping the Romulans would dodge this.

So I for one im ok-i can make own story and im fine they can force all the canon star trek races on us -to remind us its not freakfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Since when do you have these self-esteem problems? Seriously, it's no different with the Fed officers, only that they are generic. They still tell you what to do. And if you want to be called captain you mustn't play a Romulan. Romulans don't have captains.
On TV Picard or Janeway would call their officers to ready room and ask them to offer possible solutions to a given problem. Geordi, Data, B'Elanna or 7 of 9 would than present options, but it would be the captain, Picard or Janeway, who would give the order to "make it so".
And this is how it works in STO on FED side, my officers give me options, but I'm the one who gives the orders. With Tovan it's different, I get the feeling that he is in charge and I'm just following his footsteps.

Quote:
Thief? Traitor and terrorist for choosing to defend himself when the Tal Shiar sells his people to aliens?
All colonists from Virinat are thieves. In the story Cryptic have created there are millions of Romulans starving, but those few chosen from Virinat decided to appropriate (I hope it's the right word) an entire agricultural colony, entire planet, just for themselves. They trade only with other thieves, defectors and traitors like D'Tan instead of allowing the government to redistribute the goods among loyal citizens in need. Instead of rebuilding the Empire they help tearing it apart. When Tovan joins RR he becomes a traitor, in later missions also a terrorist.
I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
Captain
# 54
05-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Well, have fun with your Fed and KDF-Chars.
If there is no option to dismiss the companion, I might just skip playing the Romulan faction. Thanks for the suggestion. I want this story to be about my captain. I could careless about a talking companion.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic" is a multi-player online role-playing game.

"Star Trek: Online" is a linear multi-player strategy game.

As I previously said -- If Cryptic is turning "Star Trek: Online" into a roleplaying game, I will have absolutely no problem with this new companion experience. I just do not see why a strategy game needs a talking companion.

I hope Cryptic explains why a talking companion is necessary.

I could careless about his backstory.

Last edited by linyive; 05-02-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 55
05-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Now if torvan was like the romulan in the link below who I think the Commander calls "pilot" we'd all be happy... just a loyal romulan shooting the traitors

3:10

Career Officer
# 56
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
Figured someone was going to mention that. That's one instance, takes 10 minutes and then it's done forever. This Tovan or whatever sounds like he's never gone, always present. Makes it a lot harder to ignore.
You will survive. And after a few days you reach level 50 and no one will ask for him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiat007 View Post
On TV Picard or Janeway would call their officers to ready room and ask them to offer possible solutions to a given problem. Geordi, Data, B'Elanna or 7 of 9 would than present options, but it would be the captain, Picard or Janeway, who would give the order to "make it so".
And this is how it works in STO on FED side, my officers give me options, but I'm the one who gives the orders. With Tovan it's different, I get the feeling that he is in charge and I'm just following his footsteps.
Funny that you feel that way. As I said what Tovan does is no different from what your Fed bridge officers do. Sorry, but what I'm getting from your writing is that you feel inadequate next to him.

Quote:
All colonists from Virinat are thieves. In the story Cryptic have created there are millions of Romulans starving, but those few chosen from Virinat decided to appropriate (I hope it's the right word) an entire agricultural colony, entire planet, just for themselves. They trade only with other thieves, defectors and traitors like D'Tan instead of allowing the government to redistribute the goods among loyal citizens in need. Instead of rebuilding the Empire they help tearing it apart. When Tovan joins RR he becomes a traitor, in later missions also a terrorist.
They didn't appropriate a thing. Some of them were born there, others made a home there after most of the original population left, and they actually worked for the crops there while the Tal Shiar tried to sabotage them by keeping supplies and machinery from them. So yeah, if actually working for food while others play war in their spaceships makes you a thief. Not mentioning that the Tal Shiar blew up most loyal citizens of the Romulan Empire. So you have mass murderers and traitors call others thieves and traitors.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Career Officer
# 57
05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
An interesting take, although we haven't seen anything to suggest there is much of a representative government left at all, let alone any signs of 'resource redistribution' efforts on the part of Empire's shattered institutions. If anything, Sela seems to be 'ruling' through martial law while steadily being less aware of what the Tal'Shiar is actually getting up to - and its been like this for what? TWENTY TO THIRTY YEARS?

Using D'Tan's *recent* separatist group as a scapegoat for the Empire's abject failure in protecting it's people may appeal to some. Uniting against a scapegoat might just be what is needed to make the ordinary people feel that bit less down-trodden by Sela's royal stranglehold and the Tal'Shiar's ruthless oppression of their lives.

Either way, kindly sort it out before President Aennik Okeg allows Starfleet to breach it's prime directive by interfering with the internal matters of another society on May 21st!
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Captain
# 58
05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
For starters someone please edit out all the spoilers here. Its not a spoiler thread, thanks alot guys, we dont all Tribble test.

I'll admit I had no idea who my crew was going to be, so this helps that, for a while. But yeah, I want them all off my ship sooner rather than later. I dont play TOR, I play STO. Cryptic needs to stop JJing STO. Go work for TOR if you love their game so much. I was debating whether every crew member was going to wear the same uniform, or mix match, but I guess that decision has been made for me. Good thing I only planned on making ONE Romulan. Frankly, forced BOs discourages alts, and therefore player spending. Not exactly smart.

Kestral finally gets creative control over boff characters, but still cant write them as BRIDGE OFFICERS and continues the disrespectful tone BO dialogue in this game has toward their captains. So sounds like she already failed again to write properly for Star Trek.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 59
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
In Legacy of Romulus, players will experience the story like never before through unique companion Bridge Officers brought to life. These unique characters feature voice work, character art, and personalities all their own. Chief among these is Tovan Khev, the player?s friend, first officer, confidant and council throughout the all-new Romulan adventure featured in Legacy of Romulus. This is his story.
So, we are not allowed to choose a customizable set of bridge officers?
Career Officer
# 60
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
If there is no option to dismiss the companion, I might just skip playing the Romulan faction. Thanks for the suggestion. I want this story to be about my captain. I could careless about a talking companion.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic" is a multi-player online role-playing game.

"Star Trek: Online" is a linear multi-player strategy game.

As I previously said -- If Cryptic is turning "Star Trek: Online" into a roleplaying game, I will have absolutely no problem with this new companion experience. I just do not see why a strategy game needs a talking companion.

I hope Cryptic explains why a talking companion is necessary.

I could careless about his backstory.
Yes, how dare they inject roleplaying into a game you're already roleplaying in. The nerve.