Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
Currently on Holodeck (and presumably all current Tribble builds on Dev servers), the Engineering Boff Skill of Auxiliary to Dampeners is a I-II skill with no III rank, and it "starts" at Lieutenant as rank I.

Engineering is in desperate need of another selectable Ensign Boff Skill beyond Emergency Power to <take your pick> I or Engineering Team I. Why can't Auxiliary to Dampeners serve the purpose?

Currently:
Auxiliary to Dampeners: I = Lieutenant, II = Lt Commander, (there is no III)

Proposed:
Auxiliary to Dampeners: I = Ensign, II = Lieutenant, III = Lt Commander

If such a change were to be implemented, the simplest solution for legacy builds with the "old" skills would be to just "rank up +1" while keeping the skill in the same slot to maintain continuity. So someone with Auxiliary to Dampeners I before the change would log in after the patch (that implements this) and automagically have Auxiliary to Dampeners II instead of I (or III instead of II).
Captain
# 2
05-02-2013, 07:48 PM
This is a perfect idea to make engineering better and I feel idiotic to not have thought of it before.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 3
05-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't wanna sound dismissive by saying this, but... well, I kinda have to, cuz this sort of change just really can't happen in STO. There's far-far-far too much data attached to every iteration of a Bridge Officer Ability, for us to simply push it to a different rank.

We investigated this during the Mine Revamp that went out a few months back, and it was determined to not be technically feasible. Not impossible, just ... well, it would require breaking and then re-building a few subsystems. Like how Boffs pick their random powers, for example.

That said, many of us agree with the assertion that there aren't enough low-rank ability options for Bridge Officers. Especially for Engineers and Tacticals, since so many of their abilities share category cooldowns. It's something we would like to address, but if it does happen, it won't be for some time yet.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 4
05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh ya, the ungodly Trico Mines, I had fun with those
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Career Officer
# 5
05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I don't wanna sound dismissive by saying this, but... well, I kinda have to, cuz this sort of change just really can't happen in STO. There's far-far-far too much data attached to every iteration of a Bridge Officer Ability, for us to simply push it to a different rank.

We investigated this during the Mine Revamp that went out a few months back, and it was determined to not be technically feasible. Not impossible, just ... well, it would require breaking and then re-building a few subsystems. Like how Boffs pick their random powers, for example.

That said, many of us agree with the assertion that there aren't enough low-rank ability options for Bridge Officers. Especially for Engineers and Tacticals, since so many of their abilities share category cooldowns. It's something we would like to address, but if it does happen, it won't be for some time yet.
Can you create Aux to Damps 1/2.

I kid, I kid.

It is good to know that you guys are considering new low-rank options for BOFFs.

Something else that might alleviate things a touch (in an indirect fashion), is an idea that Jorf (hurleybird) had put forward here.

Basic gist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird
My solution is to lower the GCD on differing team abilities from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.

Thus, a tactical team would still put another tactical team on a 15 second GCD, but a science or engineering team on a 10 second GCD. This also means that you could perfectly chain one copy of each team ability, casting one every 10 seconds. Therefore, as a pug you would not need to feel so much like you are "wasting a slot" to become self reliant with clears. This change will not benefit premades, as a 10 second GCD still makes it more effective to min/max into only one type of team ability per player in almost all situations. For the same reason, this change will not make healing more powerful, except to those who need it the most. This change will not decrease depth, and in fact may increase it by creating a greater variety in viable builds.

Is this going to put pugs on equal footing with premades as far as clears are concerned? No. But it will move things a lot closer together. This is extremely low hanging fruit and Cryptic would do well to reach for it. For far less work than the EPtX change is going to take, you could institute a change that only has positive balance ramifications across the board.

Because I know you're eventually going to stumble across this -- Bort, can I get your honest feedback on this proposed change?

Rihannsu
# 6
05-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I wish the power would at least break tractors.
Captain
# 7
05-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Quote:

Hrmm, I appreciate this post as food for thought in regard to several of the suggestions that I toss out every now and again (not quite spamming but as general replies as the situation arises) - because there were certain things that I simply wasn't even considering in making those suggestions. I'd do the /shrug that it would be more involved than what I laid out, but I never really thought too much into how much more some of it would actually involve...

...I'll consider that as I consider the new set of suggestions that I'll start spamming, er, uh, um...contributing in various threads as the situation arises.

edit: Kind of feel for you guys too, looking at some the responses even after your post...
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin

Last edited by virusdancer; 05-02-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 8
05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
since this ability has ranks 1 and 2 with no rank 3, couldn't an AtD get added to ens, and the AtD at LT and LTC be renamed to level 2 and 3? the ability would not need to be shifted then, just renamed, but not taken from somewhere else. might as well do the same for AtB too, its in the same boat, missing a version 3 completely.

tactical just needs CSV shifted down to ENS, then its fine. or remove the 75% built in resist to knetic damage built into every shield, so torps dont SUCK anymore.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
05-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Id buy that for a dollar.

Along this vein, Polarize hull, every time i remember seeing it used on one of the shows it was either an engineer who suggested it, or it was the tactical station(ala enterprise) what if this became a universal ensign power? Available to every career at ensign rank with the higher versions only available to sci and engis?

Seems like instead or rebuilding multiple powers you could copy paste them into the appropiate places. would give a more useable option to all those 3rd ensign ships.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Thanks for letting us know that it's a concern on your end as well.

While I've already said this in Adjudicatorhawk's thread, thank you for listening to what many of us have had to say on this topic.

I am now hopeful that when you revisit Emergency Power abilities or decide to take a look at the Profession Teams, you do so in an environment where there's enough choice of low-rank abilities with separate cooldowns that the change in the way those powers are used won't be regarded as threat to the viability of entire classes of vessel.
Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Sky Road