Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Commander
# 21
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
One idea I had, which may not even be feasible, would be a sliding scale where:

Current shield facing remaining (i.e. 80%, 50%, 10%, etc) would grant a higher bonus to shield penetration the lower the shield facing up to a specified amount per torpedo.
Simpler way to do it would be to make the Kinetic Resistance Rating of Shields be some kind of multiple of the average Energy Resistance Ratings of Shields. Note I use the word Rating rather than Percentage, meaning that Diminishing Returns would be in effect. The net result is that high Shield Power would have a high Resistance Rating to Kinetic Damage, while low Shield Power would have a low(er) Resistance Rating to Kinetic Damage.

I don't have a napkin handy to run the math on, but it could even be potentially as simple as adding all of the Energy Resistance Ratings together and then using a constant as a divisor (which could even be "1" depending on where the balance point needs to be) to figure the Kinetic Resistance Rating.

Simple fact of the matter is though that while a Shield Facing is up, it ought to offer its Resistance to Kinetic Damage ... and that shouldn't wind up being a "double whammy" where weakened Shields also offer weakened Resistance to Kinetic Damage, since that is (literally) just adding insult to injury.
Career Officer
# 22
05-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
Simpler way to do it would be to make the Kinetic Resistance Rating of Shields be some kind of multiple of the average Energy Resistance Ratings of Shields. Note I use the word Rating rather than Percentage, meaning that Diminishing Returns would be in effect. The net result is that high Shield Power would have a high Resistance Rating to Kinetic Damage, while low Shield Power would have a low(er) Resistance Rating to Kinetic Damage.

I don't have a napkin handy to run the math on, but it could even be potentially as simple as adding all of the Energy Resistance Ratings together and then using a constant as a divisor (which could even be "1" depending on where the balance point needs to be) to figure the Kinetic Resistance Rating.

Simple fact of the matter is though that while a Shield Facing is up, it ought to offer its Resistance to Kinetic Damage ... and that shouldn't wind up being a "double whammy" where weakened Shields also offer weakened Resistance to Kinetic Damage, since that is (literally) just adding insult to injury.
Shield DR does not work like Armor DR; There is not such thing as Shield DR rating.

If you have one effect that's +30% Shield DR, you really are only taking 70% of incoming damage. If you have 1 effect that's 30% and another that's 20%, you have 1 - ((1 - 0.3)*(1 - 0.2)) Shield DR, or 44% Shield DR.
Empire Veteran
# 23
05-03-2013, 12:44 PM
and with the built in kinetic resist, its that multiplied by every bit of additional res from every blanket res buffing source. for final shield kinetic resist, most of the time its over 80%, ive seen as high as 96%
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 24
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post
The problem with your version is that little would actually change.

There are very few players running "low shield power" in PvP, and there is very little you can reliably do to reduce that as an attacker.

The goal with my change would be to see an attacker work a single facing and then be able to let off torpedoes without needing complete shield down to get it to strike, something that I can tell you is not a frequent enough occurance that you want to

A) Skill projectiles.
B) Give up a foreslot to a non-firing weapon for the tiny handful of times you can actually slip it direct to hull.

The "double whammy" you describe is pretty much irrelevant in the face of Beam Overload builds that perform very similarly to what my concept for Torpedoes would do.

Career Officer
# 25
05-03-2013, 02:03 PM
It really seems easier just to change all team skills to add in shield distribution and then modify their other effects to be even. ST3's massive shield heal + distribution would be op, obviously.
Career Officer
# 26
05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
It really seems easier just to change all team skills to add in shield distribution and then modify their other effects to be even. ST3's massive shield heal + distribution would be op, obviously.
This is a poor solution, because Sci Team is a valuable heal and cleanse.

There is no reason to reduce that, simply because many sub-par (not implying you but the general playerbase) players have a complete inability to play as a team-member instead of as a random group of people who happen to have their names in the same list.

The only changes the team skills need is to have the shared family cooldown reduced by 5s, and to have Tac teams debuff cleanse cut in half to a total of 5s.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 05-03-2013 at 02:39 PM.