Lt. Commander
# 21
05-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Stuff happens. Five hours is a long time, and I get that if it's the only time you can play it it's rather frustrating, but you literally CANNOT expect the servers to be running full-tilt all the time.
Republic Veteran
# 22
05-03-2013, 01:05 PM
S**t happens

Cryptic keeps making something signature worthy almost everyday now, I 'm taking a break
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM
On the initial downtime, the message was about Neverwinter overloading the servers. Remember that PW account can be use on ALL games.

So I'm guessing with Neverwinter just release, the "login" server (where it check that you are active PW account) is getting hit hard and probably failed (which no one can log on) Once the login server authenticate you, then it pass you to the proper game server (in our case STO)

Everyone must go to the login server before hitting the game server. I am guessing this is what happen.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
The point being missed here is Resource Allocation.

New Game NWN = Full resources.

Old game STO = whatever is left over.

Blame those supporting NWN for the outages.
Commander
# 25
05-03-2013, 04:42 PM
I've seen triple-A MMOs have unexpected downtimes of 12 hours or more. Granted, that was 3 plus years ago, but stuff does indeed happen. One time an MMO I played fervently went down for 36 hours - the community went into pandemonium, as they couldn't raid Pandemonium for a whopping day and a half (10 points if you know which MMO off the top of your head), but the company did prorate all paid subscriptions for the time lost.

Point is, it happened, the server is back up, and we can play again with a reasonably small inconvenience. Let's not waste time complaining on the forums, we all have alts to level and reps to grind!

Cheers!
Empire Veteran
# 26
05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
They are probably using virtual servers (Hyper-V, KVM, or etc). My experience if you have a hardware failure on the server banks that house those, everything comes tumbling down. The upside of this is since the servers are virtual they'll come back pretty quickly once the main hyper-V server comes back online.
Empire Veteran
# 27
05-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Those interns, always spilling coffee on the servers.
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Career Officer
# 28
05-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srspells View Post
Havent played many mmos have you no mmo is 99% uptime they all go down alot and for lots of reasons as dumb as a missing image.
Yeah, BUT, this recent crash, was just one incident, among an ever increasing list of incidents: like constant server disconnects, lag with bank items, extreme lag in general, along with launcher connectivity issues.

Is it possible that Never Winter might make things worse?, some concern is understandable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Schissler/Online Multiplayer Gaming View Post
(In regards to STO Delta Rising): "Where a fun casual game once sat proudly, a horrible grind fest now stands. All this expansion has made me want to do, is log in less."
Career Officer
# 29
05-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
The point being missed here is Resource Allocation.

New Game NWN = Full resources.

Old game STO = whatever is left over.

Blame those supporting NWN for the outages.
This is patently incorrect. NWN and STO are not only run out of the same data center, but they share fairly significant resources - login and authentication server, chat server, necessary networking for game access... there's a fairly high level of integration in the hardware that runs STO, NWN, and CO.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that NWN going live and this issue will see upgrades to a fair amount of the infrastructure that all of Crytpic's games share. Sure, NWN going into open beta is probably what overloaded the login/authentication service, but now it's a known weak link in the chain that they'll want to address (most likely with new hardware) before NWN goes live. In the end, NWN is going to do nothing but benefit STO and CO.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
IDIC fail.
Survivor of Romulus
# 30
05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkindness2 View Post
This is patently incorrect. NWN and STO are not only run out of the same data center, but they share fairly significant resources - login and authentication server, chat server, necessary networking for game access... there's a fairly high level of integration in the hardware that runs STO, NWN, and CO.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that NWN going live and this issue will see upgrades to a fair amount of the infrastructure that all of Crytpic's games share. Sure, NWN going into open beta is probably what overloaded the login/authentication service, but now it's a known weak link in the chain that they'll want to address (most likely with new hardware) before NWN goes live. In the end, NWN is going to do nothing but benefit STO and CO.
He may be referring to financial and manpower resources rather than resources of a computational nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes