Starfleet Veteran
# 31
05-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
He may be referring to financial and manpower resources rather than resources of a computational nature.
You are correct Sir!
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 32
05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainoblivous View Post
He may be referring to financial and manpower resources rather than resources of a computational nature.
Even in that case, we've seen nothing but gains in manpower allocation to STO since the buildup to S7 going live, and CO, NWN, and STO all run on the same game engine. There are transferable benefits from coding work on one game that can be propagated to all three - we've already seen some of this with things like the Foundry.

So, Cryptic has been allocating more manpower to STO, and we're likely to see peripheral benefits to the game engine as a whole with more people dedicated to working on the same engine in NWN. Again, NWN is nothing but beneficial for us. All of Cryptic's games really have a massive amount of overlap, and it's one of the reasons that they designed their game engine and server architecture the way that they did - they can crank out MMOs in fairly short order, and have cross-game benefits from continuing to work on the shared engine with each new game/iteration.

In regard to hating Star Trek 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kain9prime View Post
IDIC fail.
Rihannsu
# 33
05-03-2013, 05:35 PM
OP has a point, a hardware failure, means exactly what?????????? the led broke that tells you the harddrive is being accessed??????? I mean come on, were just asking for some information, not internal secrets on the company.
Starfleet Veteran
# 34
05-03-2013, 05:41 PM
"Some Information" might expose some incompetance of one form or another on their part, thus the info blackout.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
I love all of the speculation. It makes as much sense as saying the dilithium matrix was miss aligned causing a cascade failure of the...

You get the idea.

In practical terms, Cryptic/PWE is under no obligation to discuss details on the cause of the outage. Their software is not mission-critical; no-one died, businesses were not affected, and no-one lost money other than PWE. If anything, it's embarrassing, and more than a few people likely got chewed out. Shareholders on the other hand, may be more inclined to react if it happens again.

We've learned a lot though about their operations during the incident.

1.) they use a centralized server model, as a distributed model would enable continuous operation;
2.) redundancies in server operations are always budgetary issues, not design flaws;
4.) their business model accepts downtime as a practical occurrence and expense.

And that's acceptable for a F2P system, whether we like it or not.

A 100% uptime isn't possible (practically due to the expense). Focus on content and slowly expand the system to meet demand. That makes more sense for me

My Two bits
Admiral Thrax
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com
Career Officer
# 36
05-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbailey View Post
OP has a point, a hardware failure, means exactly what?????????? the led broke that tells you the harddrive is being accessed??????? I mean come on, were just asking for some information, not internal secrets on the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
"Some Information" might expose some incompetance of one form or another on their part, thus the info blackout.
I honestly don't get the calls for specific information on this issue. It's not like Cryptic providing us with the model and part number that failed would do us any good. Also, what MMO ever has discussed the reasons for a service outage in that sort of depth? I've been playing MMOs for a long time, and have played most of the major titles that have come out, and can't think of a single instance in which a company has provided more information than "hardware failure", "networking issue", "ISP issue" or the like.

The sort of detailed information that you're asking for isn't for public consumption and just doesn't get handed out.

Quote:
IDIC fail.
Career Officer
# 37
05-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
I love all of the speculation. It makes as much sense as saying the dilithium matrix was miss aligned causing a cascade failure of the...

You get the idea.

In practical terms, Cryptic/PWE is under no obligation to discuss details on the cause of the outage. Their software is not mission-critical; no-one died, businesses were not affected, and no-one lost money other than PWE. If anything, it's embarrassing, and more than a few people likely got chewed out. Shareholders on the other hand, may be more inclined to react if it happens again.

We've learned a lot though about their operations during the incident.

1.) they use a centralized server model, as a distributed model would enable continuous operation;
2.) redundancies in server operations are always budgetary issues, not design flaws;
4.) their business model accepts downtime as a practical occurrence and expense.

And that's acceptable for a F2P system, whether we like it or not.

A 100% uptime isn't possible (practically due to the expense). Focus on content and slowly expand the system to meet demand. That makes more sense for me

My Two bits
Admiral Thrax

Also, this deserves to be highlighted. If you really want the detailed information that you're asking for, become a shareholder with a significant enough investment to be invited to the shareholder meetings. Otherwise, this isn't information that's necessary for John Q. Public (namely, us).

Hey, ddesjardins... 1, 2, 4? You might want to give that another look, unless 3 was meant to read "????"

Quote:
IDIC fail.
Captain
# 38
05-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
The point being missed here is Resource Allocation.

New Game NWN = Full resources.

Old game STO = whatever is left over.

Blame those supporting NWN for the outages.
Pfft. STO's getting Not Season 8, with the introduction of Romulans, a revamp of the KDF experience, and an upgraded UI for everybody, as well as more ships.

Over in CO, there's... a race. Available only to characters who can fly, or who have spent Zen on buying a vehicle for their superhero. Which rewards you with one of three costume pieces. Oh, and there's one more costume piece, one of the ugliest I've ever seen, being given away with a vehicle purchase (because that's the only way they can pretend anyone would give them money for the Crown of Dicks Helmet).

STO is hardly getting "whatever is left over."
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Captain
# 39
05-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkindness2 View Post
Also, this deserves to be highlighted. If you really want the detailed information that you're asking for, become a shareholder with a significant enough investment to be invited to the shareholder meetings. Otherwise, this isn't information that's necessary for John Q. Public (namely, us).

Hey, ddesjardins... 1, 2, 4? You might want to give that another look, unless 3 was meant to read "????"
I did have a #3 and a few more - but they were speculative and counter productive.

But you are quite right, being a shareholder does have it's advantages
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com
Ensign
# 40
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
It is a video game it is not a public utility service. If there is a server outage your life isn't hanging on the line. They do not need to give anyone an explanation or guarantees that it wont happen again. Now please bombard me with your a gold player/demands/entitlements whining. Those are my favorite!

Last edited by theftbot; 05-03-2013 at 07:12 PM.