Lieutenant
I was wonder if it is possible to have missions that would start without your choice. It would be a mission about either repairing your ship or stuck in something that you have to figure out. Most of the time on TV series they either are dead in space or something got onboard or got sucked in something and had to figure a way to save ship.
Lieutenant
# 2
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
I think that is added into story missions and foundry missions as part of the story. I think it would be annoying for players to be on their way for a quick story mission, and then get stuck in a side mission that they can't quit out of. That would really screw over teams that are doing certain missions and suddenly one of the players drops because "his warpcore shut down" or "her ship was hit with a a plauge like the one that hit the crew of the TOS Ent".
Captain
# 3
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Yeah, it could be fun at times, but there's so much else in the game that it seems like it would be really disruptive.
Captain
# 4
05-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Didn't the Deep space encounters (that no one does anymore) used to work like this?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Rihannsu
# 5
05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Only if there's an option to turn them off when you've got more important things to do.
Lieutenant
# 6
05-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donowick View Post
I was wonder if it is possible to have missions that would start without your choice. It would be a mission about either repairing your ship or stuck in something that you have to figure out. Most of the time on TV series they either are dead in space or something got onboard or got sucked in something and had to figure a way to save ship.
That right there is why it's a horrible idea and should never happen.
Career Officer
# 7
05-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
Didn't the Deep space encounters (that no one does anymore) used to work like this?
It was before my time but I heard that, once, borg cubes would hunt you down in sector space.

I have to say though, I kind of like the idea of random surprise missions.

However, as others have posted, there are inherant issues with it.

I'd suggest that there be a 'not now Wesley' button, so if you're on the way to do something else you're not interrupted.

I'd also suggest that they only kick in at the harder difficulty level.
Captain
# 8
05-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkster View Post
I'd also suggest that they only kick in at the harder difficulty level.
That's kind of an interesting thought: make these missions only occur when you're set to the right difficulty level, so if you're doing other things you can simply change your difficulty level and be unaffected. It would be a good way to give the option to people who want it while letting people opt out when they want to.