Ensign
HI all

Since 1/11/14 this game has been unplayable from Australia - I use pingplotter and it shows that the connection within Cogentco is highly unstable.

The site changes its path every few minutes and this disconnects the game from the server - the game window remains open (sometimes) but no actions work - other times it takes you back to the login screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic35cm7uxn...s.com.png?dl=0

This is a screenshot of the problem - notice the amount of packet loss experienced by me.

Please look at this ASAP as its a bit of pain - this occured the day after buying a life membership.

Thanks
Mark
Captain
# 2
11-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones1963 View Post
HI all

Since 1/11/14 this game has been unplayable from Australia - I use pingplotter and it shows that the connection within Cogentco is highly unstable.

The site changes its path every few minutes and this disconnects the game from the server - the game window remains open (sometimes) but no actions work - other times it takes you back to the login screen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic35cm7uxn...s.com.png?dl=0

This is a screenshot of the problem - notice the amount of packet loss experienced by me.

Please look at this ASAP as its a bit of pain - this occured the day after buying a life membership.

Thanks
Mark
Intersting...

I, too, am playing from Australia and have noticed significant issues since the release of the new expansion (severe lag when logging in, random crashes to desktop, etc.). I checked everything I could to see if it was in my end but never thought to check pingplotter... might do that tonight and see if I am getting the same results.

It would explain a lot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonhaggedon View Post
YOU LIT THE MATCH, YOU ARE PATIENT ZERO, YOU FORCED US INTO HELL A.K.A. DELTA QUADRANT!

Cryptic: It's Nerf or Nothin!
Career Officer
# 3
11-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Cogentco (aka Cryptic's Internet provider) uses the free "Peering" links with the real internet providers. They overload these links and since they are free, the other companies put caps on the bandwidth Cogentco can use. Once one of these peers gets to the cap limit, Cogentco has to find another one that can handle their traffic which causes a switch in routing and dropped sessions like your connection to Cryptic's servers.

This is a known issue with Cogentco and it has been their problem for years. If Cogentco would spend the money to actually build their own links to the internet backbone then they would not have this issue. But if they did that then would have to charge more to their customers' like Cryptic and that would make them cost as much or more than the real internet companies.

The old saying applies to Cogentco...

You get what you pay for!

Zeus
Golly look what I got! Now I can collect game metrics properly and adjust the content correctly!

Delta Rising, The Best Expansion Ever and the Players Love it!
Career Officer
# 4
11-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus16nbs View Post
Cogentco (aka Cryptic's Internet provider) uses the free "Peering" links with the real internet providers. They overload these links and since they are free, the other companies put caps on the bandwidth Cogentco can use. Once one of these peers gets to the cap limit, Cogentco has to find another one that can handle their traffic which causes a switch in routing and dropped sessions like your connection to Cryptic's servers.

This is a known issue with Cogentco and it has been their problem for years. If Cogentco would spend the money to actually build their own links to the internet backbone then they would not have this issue. But if they did that then would have to charge more to their customers' like Cryptic and that would make them cost as much or more than the real internet companies.

The old saying applies to Cogentco...

You get what you pay for!

Zeus
So now you're getting into Internet Politics and Regulation (or the lack of it) by government agencies... Since the very start of the Internet, Commercial Tier 1 Backbone Providers have traditionally exchanged traffic without charges. Its only in the past few years that certain providers got the idea of adding a Internet 'Toll' against other providers that offer services that compete against their own commercial services... In comparison to the Cable TV payment model, where these providers would actually be the ones paying the fee to allow their customers access to external services, a 'Free' traffic exchange model is actually to their benefit...

What needs to be done is to declare Internet Service as 'Common Carriers' status (such as Phone Service Regulation, where additional charges to locations outside your Phone Company have been banned...) and remove this potential anti-consumer conflict of interest, but certain companies have been fighting this tooth and nail...

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...mmon-carriers/

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 11-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.