Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 1 coming back after a break...
05-06-2013, 01:53 AM
so as the title says, i'm coming back to pvp after a rather long break (a year long to be precise) and i'm looking for some advises on how to improve my build.

in the past i spent most of my pvp time in escorts and i played with or against most of the posters here so some of you might remember my tac Ameretat.

i used to run a tac escort retrofit with skills distribution similar to the current one that i have
( http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...ameretat0001_0 ) the only difference was that i used torpedoes in the past so i had points there as well but the majority of the distribution was the same.
ever since i got the bugship i'm having problems adjusting to the change from using torps as spike to using only energy weapons so i'm looking for some advice in that area from other proficient bug users as well as tips on optimizing its performance as i'm honestly not that happy with it...

in the description area i have the current doffs i'm using as well as my power levels layout for offense and defense, atm i get close to 125 on weapons and shields while having 90 in engines when i'm under fire with the defense mode.

add me in game @blindsaviour or leave some comments here, any help would be appreciated. thx
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 99
# 2
05-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Hey And welcome back!

I'm not the very best when it comes to bug ship builds, but i'll try...
Pretty basic setup

Lt. Sci. I would slott 2 HE there
Lt. Eng. I would also change RSP to one more EPtS


Boffs, all human is requiered.
Ens. Eng ET I

Com. Tac. TT1, BOII, RFII, AP:O III
You get a better gain on RFII with AP:O III Then you get with RFIII and AP:O I
Lt.Com, keep that one as it is.

Consoles:
I would change the Field Generator to a Shield Emitter Amplifier MK XII for a better shield heal.
And i would also remove the EPS Flow regulator and instead put in a SIF Generator which will also help with the Hull heal.
Device:
If you try the a2b i would change the engine battery for a Auxiliary battery...

My 2cents, and perhaps only worth as so much also :-D

Good Luck :-)

Last edited by thowas; 05-06-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Read the boff slotting wrong.. Alt would not work...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,069
# 3
05-06-2013, 08:16 AM
for all dhc and mines:

cmd tac: tt/apd/crf2/apo3
lt com tac: tt/dpX/crf2
ensign eng: epts
lt : epts /rsp
lt: HE1 /TSS2 (or Tb /TSS2 for 1 vs 1 )

or 1 dual beam and 3 dhc
cmd tac: tt/BO/crf2/apo3
lt com tac: tt/BO/crf2
ensign eng: epts
lt : epts /rsp
lt: HE1 /TSS2 (or Tb /TSS2 for 1 vs 1 )

thats with attack pattern doffs.This works for that fleet patrol ship.

also you will want power insulators and dont forget one or two RCS are never bad
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 663
# 4
05-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Welcome back old timer
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 5
05-06-2013, 09:14 AM
This is personal preference, but I don't take many skills into the red. Attack Patterns on a tac and things that I think are really important get 9 points. Here's the spreadsheet if you need the link. Power Insulators is a strong skill right now, the difference between a ship with and without it versus most sci powers is night and day.

Check out the borg kinetic cutting beam. Along with the borg console it gives a brief Nadeon Inversion effect (Nadi-lite). IDK how long you've been gone, but the console was removed from the shield/deflector/engine set and now has a torp and the KCB as a separate set.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 6
05-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianm63 View Post
for all dhc and mines:

cmd tac: tt/apd/crf2/apo3
lt com tac: tt/dpX/crf2
ensign eng: epts
lt : epts /rsp
lt: HE1 /TSS2 (or Tb /TSS2 for 1 vs 1 )

or 1 dual beam and 3 dhc
cmd tac: tt/BO/crf2/apo3
lt com tac: tt/BO/crf2
ensign eng: epts
lt : epts /rsp
lt: HE1 /TSS2 (or Tb /TSS2 for 1 vs 1 )

thats with attack pattern doffs.This works for that fleet patrol ship.

also you will want power insulators and dont forget one or two RCS are never bad
thanks, i'll keep this in mind although i think i'll stay away from mines ftm.
regarding the RCS i have a personal preference against using these, in the past i have always managed to out fly if not outmaneuver most of my targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thowas View Post
Hey And welcome back!

I'm not the very best when it comes to bug ship builds, but i'll try...
Pretty basic setup

Lt. Sci. I would slott 2 HE there
Lt. Eng. I would also change RSP to one more EPtS


Boffs, all human is requiered.
Ens. Eng ET I

Com. Tac. TT1, BOII, RFII, AP:O III
You get a better gain on RFII with AP:O III Then you get with RFIII and AP:O I
Lt.Com, keep that one as it is.

Consoles:
I would change the Field Generator to a Shield Emitter Amplifier MK XII for a better shield heal.
And i would also remove the EPS Flow regulator and instead put in a SIF Generator which will also help with the Hull heal.
Device:
If you try the a2b i would change the engine battery for a Auxiliary battery...

My 2cents, and perhaps only worth as so much also :-D

Good Luck :-)
thanks for the input but honestly the only interesting thing to me in here is the RF2+APO3 detail, i'll have to do some parsing to see how it really plays out, i can't remember it had a huge impact in the past.
i was wondering about the consoles as well, i'll cover that later in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
This is personal preference, but I don't take many skills into the red. Attack Patterns on a tac and things that I think are really important get 9 points. Here's the spreadsheet if you need the link. Power Insulators is a strong skill right now, the difference between a ship with and without it versus most sci powers is night and day.

Check out the borg kinetic cutting beam. Along with the borg console it gives a brief Nadeon Inversion effect (Nadi-lite). IDK how long you've been gone, but the console was removed from the shield/deflector/engine set and now has a torp and the KCB as a separate set.
heh i'm a freak when it comes to power levels so i tend to waste a lot of points there, thanks for the link it should come in handy when i try to organize some points for the insulators

you think it'd be worth swapping a turret for the cutting beam without any points in kinetic damage? i'm thinking with the effect it has when combined with the console i might switch to running 4xDHC to compensate for the damage difference and probably gain more damage overall even without a spike from BO... looks like i have some parsing to do



in regards to consoles, what are the opinions on running field generator console vs the one for shield regen? the generator doesn't give a large capacity boost but i think that in the past i was inclined to using the regeneration console only when i was using regenerative shields like the borg shield.

also i was wondering about old numbers when it comes to EPS flow regulators, i think after the system changed that 9 points in this skill would give you the same transfer speed as we used to have on each ship before that skill was introduced so i continued using that console. what i want to know is if i were wrong with this assumption and is it worth using an eps flow regulator if i have 6-9 points in the skill?

Last edited by blindsaviour666; 05-06-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 99
# 7
05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
thanks for the input but honestly the only interesting thing interesting to me in here is the RF2+APO3 detail, i'll have to do some parsing to see how it really plays out, i can't remember it had a huge impact in the past.
i was wondering about the consoles as well, i'll cover that later in this post.
No problemas :-)

But there are other builds if you want to be brave....
Like a2b, DEM's... But you will lose alot of defense with those, and bugs(?, or defiant?) can be rather squishy
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,015
# 8
05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsaviour666 View Post
you think it'd be worth swapping a turret for the cutting beam without any points in kinetic damage? i'm thinking with the effect it has when combined with the console i might switch to running 4xDHC to compensate for the damage difference and probably gain more damage overall even without a spike from BO... looks like i have some parsing to do
I like the cutting beam for a number of reasons, personally. The 2 piece proc is really solid, IMO, and so good if you love Engineers you probably should take umbrage at NI being handed out to everybody, even if it's a proc instead of at will. Then there's the fact that it's a red line pointing to your target. If you lose somebody in a furball it's handy. Now if I have my facts straight its damage gets reduced by shields just like a torpedo, but it's like it's always on, so as soon as you drop a facing it goes to work on hull. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsaviour666 View Post
in regards to consoles, what are the opinions on running field generator console vs the one for shield regen? the generator doesn't give a large capacity boost but i think that in the past i was inclined to using the regeneration console only when i was using regenerative shields like the borg shield.

also i was wondering about old numbers when it comes to EPS flow regulators, i think after the system changed that 9 points in this skill would give you the same transfer speed as we used to have on each ship before that skill was introduced so i continued using that console. what i want to know is if i were wrong with this assumption and is it worth using an eps flow regulator if i have 6-9 points in the skill?
My opinion, take it or leave it, on field gens is I like 10k per facing or so. That's enough for a decently hardened shield to live for a second on an alpha. But there are Romulan embassy science consoles which have a shield and hull heal proc which are pretty competitive, IMO, so you'll want to check them out.

I skill EPS to 9 because it affects EPTx boff abilities, but the consoles don't. Preset switching is still important, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it's getting easier to maintain higher power levels across the board. So at launch you might have really needed to go from 55 to 125 in the second highest subsystem, now it might be more like 85 to 125 and your transfer rate is less important because you need to transfer less to hit cap. It's just my opinion, but EPS consoles are the first thing I drop for +crit or toys.

A few other things that I don't think were released or unlocked by enough people to be in circulation a year ago: Elite fleet shields are really strong. If you haven't picked up on the res buff icon from them, you're going to want to identify it. It's energy type specific, so if your teammate has been broadsiding them with the same kind of weapons you're running then the target now has stacks of resistance against your weapons. The romulan rep console, lobi store temporal console, the borg console which you already have, and Romulan bridge officers available through the embassy can all raise your crit chance. Of course, there's on-crit procs on both sides now, so you might be triggering a heal as often as you trigger something helpful. There's a doff named Marion which adds a NI effect to DEM, and it's popular to use it to negate BO's drain in order to double and triple tap BO. There are threads discussing the merits. And, of course, everything is about to change with the LoR launch.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 9
05-06-2013, 11:59 PM
thanks for all the info, i had no idea that EPS affects the EPtX abilities in that way and i can see your point on the transfer rates. i've read up on doffs and all of the new fleet related gear and i'm still figuring out how and where to incorporate them on my toons.
i'll have some fun with the cutting beam to see how it suits me and hopefully i'll start hitting the q's in a few days when time permits it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12 AM.