Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 31
05-07-2013, 04:29 AM
That thing has no place in this game.

Not because it's from the J.J. movie that I don't like.
Not because it's from another universe and has no business being here.
Not because Paramount owns the rights to the new Trek movies and Cryptic has CBS liscence.

But simply because that thing is hideous. It looks like some kitbash from a Transformers movie. That's my opinion on it. Just as I share this same opinion about some hideous designs on Federation ships that exist in this game, like let's say some Galaxy variants or the fleet assault cruiser skin. Yuck!
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
# 32
05-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhausen View Post
I understand where you folks are coming from, but I think sometimes you sink to the other side's level.

I didn't hate the first JJ film. I've said before on these boards that I put it about in the middle of the pack of Star Trek films. Not as good as some, but a lot better than others. This second one I didn't enjoy as much. As I've said before, mostly because I felt like JJ had managed to give himself a good setup at the end of the first one. He had a great cast, he had a huge budget, and he had basically no continuity to tie him down. The second movie disappointed me because instead of going off and doing something new, he made what felt to me like a retread of old territory.

That said, I understand where you're coming from because I'm primarily a TOS fan. And I've spent years listening to folks ridicule it as being cheesy, mock Shatner's acting, poke fun at the sets and costumes and special effects. I have a lot of friends who think TNG was the pinnacle of Star Trek, and I'd probably rank it fourth in terms of my favorites. But I don't think it helps the situation for me to try to mock TNG to them, or even to spend inordinate amounts of my time trying to defend everything about TOS (I mean, have you seen much of the Third Season? Pretty indefensible).

At a certain point, we have to just sort of agree to live and let live. You may like TNG or DS9 or even Enterprise the best, I prefer TOS. You might love one or both of the Abrams movies and think they're the best Star Trek films, I may prefer TWOK and Undiscovered Country, or I might be a TNG fan and think First Contact is the best ever. We can all be good Star Trek fans and just have our preferences as to what part(s) of the franchise we prefer...or don't like...and be able to voice those thoughts without it turning into a Klingon blood feud. From either side.
You're absolutely right. It just gets on my nerves when people bash something because it's "not Star Trek". I know I shouldn't let it bother me, and am making an effort to not react to it anymore.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 33
05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
First the Narada than this

FFS JJ or not these production/art people have no idea of keeping a design fresh but honoring previous ship design and tradition.

I mean I know the Narada is A mining vessel and Romulan because someone in the movie said -No way I would have picked Hellraisers flagship as your standard Romulan Mining vessel from visuals (oh wait its got borg bits because the non canon prequel comic tried to pour sand in this plot hole)

But the designers passed as it was STUPID BIG and blows up planets

Now the villians ship is STUPID BIG for a federation vessel and its BLACK in case the audience gets confused.

Please no to this in game.
Captain
# 34
05-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Look...

JJ-verse is great Sci-Fi... It may even be "Trek" on certain levels, but please realize that It's not the STO universe.

I know alot of people will say "Canon went out the window when <various examples>", and they would be right, but since this is the Prime universe, we should attempt to stick as close to canon as possible, within the parameters given at current point.

Also remember, that since the JJ-verse is currently unexplored country, it's better grounds for a new MMO than STO was (more untold stories than prime universe) and as such may get it's own MMO game some day.

For that and for loads of other reasons, I'd have to say: I'd rather have a kick in the crown jewels.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Empire Veteran
# 35
05-07-2013, 08:50 AM
This ship challenged the Dervish for ugliest ship award and brought much smack down. Let us hope there are no future contenders and this ship can retire to that dark corner in our minds.

Heir to the high pony of holier than thou, Guardian of the Sacred Mallet of Thwarting, and giver of Baptismal raspberries since 02/02/2010
Lt. Commander
# 36 reply
05-07-2013, 09:22 AM
ugh isn't the mirror universe ships from an alt timeline the movie isn;t out yet but my understanding is this ship is like 1700 meters in length . i was thinking it could make a great addition to game as new dreadnought design . also nero and the narada are from st online timeline hello hobus star super nova destroyed romulus its why romuleans had to settle on new planets.
Rihannsu
# 37
05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
They still might, considering "ST: Into the Darkness" releases in the U.S. on 6/17/13 and the STO LoR expansion releases on 5/21/13.
YESS!!!!

Remember: we already HAVE stuff from JJ Trek in the game, it's simply a matter of how much.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 38
05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Look...

JJ-verse is great Sci-Fi... It may even be "Trek" on certain levels, but please realize that It's not the STO universe.

I know alot of people will say "Canon went out the window when <various examples>", and they would be right, but since this is the Prime universe, we should attempt to stick as close to canon as possible, within the parameters given at current point.

Also remember, that since the JJ-verse is currently unexplored country, it's better grounds for a new MMO than STO was (more untold stories than prime universe) and as such may get it's own MMO game some day.

For that and for loads of other reasons, I'd have to say: I'd rather have a kick in the crown jewels.
I don't even consider it great sci-fi personally. I remain indifferent about the 2009 movie - it was okay so far as popcorn flicks go.

Into Darkness, however, strikes me as a very cliche movie with very little in terms of a storyline. It's your bog-standard "Bad guy does evil things for revenge" with the good guys trying to stop the bad guy. The names are irrelevant - replace Khan with The Jokerand Kirk with Batman, you have the exact. Same. Thing. It even had the make the bad guy's ship huge and black - because you know, if it's evil, the law according to Michael Bay (to whom JJ clearly follows) obviously states that it just HAS to be huge.

JJ couldn't produce an original idea if his life depended on it and THAT is my problem with this rehashed mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.

Last edited by reyan01; 05-07-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Captain
# 39
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
I think the ship in question is hideous and should be resigned to the scrap pile and left there to rot in the radiation of the sun.

With that said i wouldnt mind JJTrek ships ingame but the biggest issue is the whole parallel universe yadda yadda yadda khans magic blood etc etc etc.

If Jar jar Abrams wouldve made a sequel something to erase the bad taste of nemisis then it wouldve been ok but what he has done is made a mockery of the franchise.

with THAT said i am glad that there is JJTrek because it introduces a new generation to star trek that otherwise wouldve ignored the older trek as "My Fathers trek".

So even though i do not like the new trek i am glad its around for the younger generation so that trek wont die that it will live on
Captain
# 40
05-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Look...

Since Nero got his tattoo in Rura Penthe prison IN the past/alternate timeline, how then can it be part of the STO prime universe?