Commander
# 1 PvP for solo players
05-03-2013, 01:13 PM
we know STO caters mostly to groups and group strategies in PvP and STO in general. However there's a lot of people I see (including me) with no fleet and no apparent strat towards this greoup-centric play. whether their anti-fleet or just waiting for the right opportunity to fleet, their still not playing to the games overall design.

is there anyway or ideas to include the lone-wolfs in PvP? maybe create a separate PvP area for solo players only. fleets might abuse this by all soloing up at the same time to keep abusing the STO weak. is there anyway to solve this issue as well?

should be catering to both, it's possible, but almost taboo in STO. why???
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Career Officer
# 2
05-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lykum View Post
we know STO caters mostly to groups and group strategies in PvP and STO in general. However there's a lot of people I see (including me) with no fleet and no apparent strat towards this greoup-centric play. whether their anti-fleet or just waiting for the right opportunity to fleet, their still not playing to the games overall design.

is there anyway or ideas to include the lone-wolfs in PvP? maybe create a separate PvP area for solo players only. fleets might abuse this by all soloing up at the same time to keep abusing the STO weak. is there anyway to solve this issue as well?

Um, create a 1v1 challenge match or look for teams in Organized PvP?

Captain
# 3
05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
The Opvp channel link is still a sticky threat up at the top of this section.

There are times of day it can be a bit quite. In general though at busy times there is lots of people in Opvp willing to team for a few matches. Or create challange matches. Or just talk about things pvp.

If your not in a pvp or pve fleet at all. That's a great place to talk to people that are just like you or in fleets.

If all you really want to do is pug pvp matchs, running into the odd team is just whats going to happen. I have seen some great Pugmade teams come together off of the opvp channel that have been very effective teams for a handful of games.

If your not subbed jump on.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Career Officer
# 4
05-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Um, create a 1v1 challenge match or look for teams in Organized PvP?
This or learn to love PUGing.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 5
05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:

There are way more pug matches than premade matches overall,

But if you really wanna stay solo,

- 1v1
- Just queue up in Cap and holds, mostly no premade there except hobos lol
- Go into arena with a hit and run cloak ship, works very well both on kdf and fed side

Cheers
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
05-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Hey there Lykum

interesting post to say the least.

I started my pvp adventures in much the same way you describe, the fleet i ran with at the time had very few people interested in pvp. My circle of friends was mainly my fleet and most stuck to the pve content pretty much.

I Ran alot of random q's but was very discouraged, it just seemed the teams would always win or stomp tbe match. I even tried to reach out to a few of the players i thought where good, it met with much resistance or i was just givin por advice.

Which brings me to Kerrat, the true territory of the Lone Wolf pvp heros where 1 player can make the difference in a battle. This is where i learnt the way of the pew, ducking alpha bops and Jemhadar attack ships knowing when to start a fight and when to finish one. The best pvp players in the game stalk kerrat and unlike random q's there is time to get feedback from others.

The taboo u speak of is not really a taboo just that it would result in a lot of stalemate matchs facing 2 tanks against each other whould be a drag...Someone has to die....

There is room for any type of player in sto pvp, but if u want to be a good player and gain respect heal your team mates and focus fire...

Good Luck And Have Fun Out There...
@LIVIN

P.S.
Its more likley for one of us to win the lotto, then for Cryptic to make a change to pvp...

~The Eleventh Order~
11thOrder Youtube

Last edited by livinrtb; 05-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Captain
# 7
05-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
we know STO caters mostly to groups and group strategies in PvP and STO in general.
stopped reading it right here.

this game does not cater to groups/group play or group strategies in general. pvp, yes if you enjoy highend pvp otherwise that too is a no.

just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 8
05-04-2013, 08:18 AM
It would be nice to see queues for non premades.
I'm sorry but this seems to be the only game in history where a casual player of PvP either has to 'jump through hoops' to get a game that doesn't require 10 matches against premades and getting stomped, it means you either have to do the boot camp or join the PVP channel, I've been to that PvP channel and frankly switched it off because it seemed at the time full of elitests uninterested in helping or bringing a virtual unknown in to the fold, hell, they couldn't even be bothered to say hi back after I said hi on entering the channel.
I'm sorry but this is a game for all, so why should casual players be penalised for wanting a PvP to break the boredom of PvE/grinding but not having a big circle of 'friends' to help them?
Are these players less entitled to have a good game that doesn't require them to just roll over and get stomped by a premade?

Myself, I've done a fair bit of pugging with kinetic alien (and aliases), I've always found that going up against a premade just isn't fun, vice versa though I've done premades with him and a few others and its not fun going against a pug team, its too easy and almost pointless.

The boot camp really doesn't appeal to me at all, I've trawled and researched my build, trialled it, adjusted it etc etc, the boot camp would essentially place me at the bottom so some of the more 'elite' players can be condescending because you got something wrong.
I also don't like some of the 'tactics' being taught.
Like warp plasma and theta radiation being used in mass, knowing full well its glitches graphically!

It all boils down to an attitude from many that's along the lines of 'if you ain't in the boot camp or PvP channel, then you obviously aren't worthy to play PvP!'

I understand it is a team game but simply put, not everyone has that pleasure. Does that make us any less worthy to have a good game?

This is also one reason why PvP isn't that popular.
Commander
# 9
05-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I've seen a lot in pvp. for instance that time the feds hit me with that target ally power and one of my 'allies' came in and alpha struck me to death. even if they're on the same team as you they'll still play towards letting the group they entered pvp with to win. just which team has more 'ally' players.

not to mention you still get your dilithium if you lose!! that's exactly who no-one cares to win and a large part of what kills pvp!
Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
Captain
# 10
05-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansamurai1 View Post
It would be nice to see queues for non premades.
I'm sorry but this seems to be the only game in history where a casual player of PvP either has to 'jump through hoops' to get a game that doesn't require 10 matches against premades and getting stomped, it means you either have to do the boot camp or join the PVP channel, I've been to that PvP channel and frankly switched it off because it seemed at the time full of elitests uninterested in helping or bringing a virtual unknown in to the fold, hell, they couldn't even be bothered to say hi back after I said hi on entering the channel.
I'm sorry but this is a game for all, so why should casual players be penalised for wanting a PvP to break the boredom of PvE/grinding but not having a big circle of 'friends' to help them?
Are these players less entitled to have a good game that doesn't require them to just roll over and get stomped by a premade?

Myself, I've done a fair bit of pugging with kinetic alien (and aliases), I've always found that going up against a premade just isn't fun, vice versa though I've done premades with him and a few others and its not fun going against a pug team, its too easy and almost pointless.

The boot camp really doesn't appeal to me at all, I've trawled and researched my build, trialled it, adjusted it etc etc, the boot camp would essentially place me at the bottom so some of the more 'elite' players can be condescending because you got something wrong.
I also don't like some of the 'tactics' being taught.
Like warp plasma and theta radiation being used in mass, knowing full well its glitches graphically!

It all boils down to an attitude from many that's along the lines of 'if you ain't in the boot camp or PvP channel, then you obviously aren't worthy to play PvP!'

I understand it is a team game but simply put, not everyone has that pleasure. Does that make us any less worthy to have a good game?

This is also one reason why PvP isn't that popular.
all of your arguments for "solo" que can easily be applied to keeping the que as it is.

not all premades are out to kill you

there are never enough premades on at the same time

this is not the reason pvp is bad, this is the result of pvp being constantly neglected and force fed lies and broken promises about "pvp being a high priority and being taken care of next season" bs.

people who suggest you join the boot camp or the organizedpvp channel mainly do, so you wont become fustrated and think youre alone in wanting to have fun.

look around, there are plenty of people who want solo ques, why not create a team with them to go against others who dont want to face the "evil premades"

or as its suggested, join the organizedpvp chat channel and/or bootcamp and have fun with pvp in its form, because quite frankly... it isnt going to change. if crypitc had intended to do anything about, they'd have done it by now/annouced very publicly that theyre going to do something.

not just the (as i said above) "we want it to be better, we want to prioritize it, we promise stuff next season" line theyve fed over and over. thats all that they say publicly because they know anything else would be used against them....

no im not bitter... im just sad that this game is the way it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?